NCAA May Give Midnight Madness Earlier Start And More Days Of Practice

UofMdad

Reaction score
According to CBS Sports.com
The NCAA's Legislative Council recommendations will go into effect this year, unless the Board of Directors strikes it down at the May 2 meeting.
1. Teams could hold up to 30 days of practice in the 6 weeks leading up to the first regular season game. Now it is 4 weeks.
2. Elimination of the permissible time schools begin first practice. Now, schools can not begin practice before 5pm on the Friday closest to Oct. 15. The new rule would allow schools to determine the time when practice begins.
3. The rules would not apply to women's basketball.

Not exactly earth shaking changes, unless I am missing something in the 30 days vs 4 weeks.

Kentucky would like this, along with anyone bringing in top contributing freshmen every season.

I don't know if I get it - so they're allowing the same number of days for practice (30), only over 2 additional weeks (6 rather than 4)? That doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Could a school determine that they want to begin practice in September?

I don't know if I get it - so they're allowing the same number of days for practice (30), only over 2 additional weeks (6 rather than 4)? That doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Could a school determine that they want to begin practice in September?

Not sure how one could get 30 days of practice done in four weeks. Maybe it's an OSU thing?

Not sure how one could get 30 days of practice done in four weeks. Maybe it's an OSU thing?

That's what the original post was saying. They get up to 6 weeks to use their 30 days of practice instead of the 4 they get now. Maybe the original post is leaving something out. Michigan is the school in the B1G known for their extra practice time.

That's what the original post was saying. They get up to 6 weeks to use their 30 days of practice instead of the 4 they get now. Maybe the original post is leaving something out. Michigan is the school in the B1G known for their extra practice time.

So are you saying no team practices the 30 days? 4 weeks = 28 days. I think folks are wondering how you practice 30 days over a 28 day span?

Thanks to everyone for your input. My typing was a direct quote from the NCAA. Still doesn't make much sense to me either.

Thanks to everyone for your input. My typing was a direct quote from the NCAA. Still doesn't make much sense to me either.

Don't think that's a direct quote from the NCAA, rather it's from some people at CBSsports.com. They didn't do a very good job at trying to summarize the rule change that will likely be in effect this fall. I probably won't either, but here's a shot:

Old: First day of practice was the Friday closest to 10/15. There was no 30 day limit on practices. Because the first day regular season games can be schedule is the second Friday in November, there was often less than a month of practice available (i.e., last year Oct 12 was the first day teams could practice; first game for many teams was Nov 9)... so you had teams wanting to practice daily.

New: First day of practice can be 42 days before your first regular season game. However, there is a max of 30 countable days of practice.

The upshot is teams will get a few more days of practice in, but they will also have some breaks / days off leading up to the first game. 25+ practice days over ~4 weeks time changes to 30 practices over 6 weeks time.

A proposed change was introduced a few years ago, but got tabled. Initially it was proposed at 40 days... it was pushed to 42 days (i.e. 6 weeks) for marketing purposes... i.e. 'Midnight Madness' events... with so many teams starting things off on the second Friday in November, 42 days meant a team could hold their first practice on a Friday as many have done in the past.. 40 days would have meant a Sunday first practice for teams with their first game on the second Friday in November.

Don't think that's a direct quote from the NCAA, rather it's from some people at CBSsports.com. They didn't do a very good job at trying to summarize the rule change that will likely be in effect this fall. I probably won't either, but here's a shot:

Old: First day of practice was the Friday closest to 10/15. There was no 30 day limit on practices. Because the first day regular season games can be schedule is the second Friday in November, there was often less than a month of practice available (i.e., last year Oct 12 was the first day teams could practice; first game for many teams was Nov 9)... so you had teams wanting to practice daily.

New: First day of practice can be 42 days before your first regular season game. However, there is a max of 30 countable days of practice.

The upshot is teams will get a few more days of practice in, but they will also have some breaks / days off leading up to the first game. 25+ practice days over ~4 weeks time changes to 30 practices over 6 weeks time.

A proposed change was introduced a few years ago, but got tabled. Initially it was proposed at 40 days... it was pushed to 42 days (i.e. 6 weeks) for marketing purposes... i.e. 'Midnight Madness' events... with so many teams starting things off on the second Friday in November, 42 days meant a team could hold their first practice on a Friday as many have done in the past.. 40 days would have meant a Sunday first practice for teams with their first game on the second Friday in November.

Thanks GW; My bad..visit too many sites for info: I should have known the CBS site truncated the NCAA actual statement!!!! Great info thanks

Top Bottom