Extensive Q&A: Vermont Academy HC Jesse Bopp Gushes Over New Gopher Daquein McNeil

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Extensive Q&A: Vermont Academy HC Jesse Bopp Gushes Over New Gopher Daquein McNeil

By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/248024?referrer_id=331171

Daquein McNeil, a 6-foot-3, 185-pound combo guard from Saxtons River (VT) Vermont Academy, signed with Florida International in the early signing period. However, McNeil asked for his release after head coach Richard Pitino and members of his staff left for Minnesota. It appears that McNeil will follow Pitino as a member of the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Gopher Hole caught up with Vermont Academy head coach Jesse Bopp to learn more about his standout guard and his decision to come to Minnesota.

Gopher Hole: I know that Daquein had asked for his release from Florida International. Is he definitely coming to Minnesota or has that been determined yet?

Jesse Bopp: He is definitely coming to Minnesota.

Gopher Hole: For people who maybe have not seen him play, what would you say are his strengths as a player?

Jesse Bopp: I would say that if you watched Louisville win a national championship and you saw how Russ Smith played and the energy that he plays with and the fearlessness that he attacks with, I would say Daquein has a lot of those same attributes. He can really score in a lot of different ways. He is a guy who has a desire to win and I think a lot of them comes from where he is from, some of the things that he has been through and that he has totally built on the things that go into winning and that is how he measures success, as winning.

Gopher Hole: What about things like any player his ages, that he needs to continue to improve on to play at a Big Ten level?

Jesse Bopp: I think for Daquein since he is such a good scorer and driver and that he has had such a success in doing that, that he could continue to develop as an outside shooter. I think that he is a scorer. I would not describe Paul Pierce as a great shooter. He is a great scorer and when he gets that rhythm and a scoring rhythm, I think that Daquein can score in a lot of different ways and that includes making shots. I think for him to improve as a shooter is definitely something that he can get better at and work at, but he can shoot because he is such a good scorer.

Gopher Hole: What about him just as a kid in your dealings with him the past couple of years?

Jesse Bopp: He, in terms of a kid who has had an impact on my life and someone who has taught me and I have learned from and I feel strongly that there is no kid that I have ever been around that I feel as strongly for. He has been here for three years. He was the first kid that made the decision to come to Vermont Academy after I became the coach here. He is from a very difficult, humbling background from East Baltimore and to think that a kid like that can make a transition to a small boarding school in the middle of nowhere Vermont and to turn into and become who he has become is an emotional thing. So I have no doubt in his ability to be someone in that program that is going to have a large impact. It is a huge loss for our program that he is leaving. I have never coached a game here without him here, but I know what he has done here. He has left a mark and left a legacy and for our incoming players and returning players, he is the standard.

Gopher Hole: What did you think when he signed with Florida International in the fall. You probably thought that they were getting a sleeper?

Jesse Bopp: Just my understanding and his understanding of who Richard Pitino was and what he was trying to do and how he felt about Kimani Young and the way that they showed and expressed their commitment to him and how what he was about aligned with who they were and what they wanted their program to be about and their style of play. It worked at the University of Florida for Coach Donovan and at Virginia Commonwealth University for Coach Smart. There are a lot of similarities in play with those programs and how we play and certainly how Louisville plays and a lot of the intangibles that they value. So for me, no matter where Richard Pitino was coaching and where Kimani Young was going to be, if it was at Florida International or Dartmouth or Cal Berkeley, there was such a connection between those guys in all the ways that we think are important for a kid to be connected with their perspective coaches at the next level.

Gopher Hole: How did you first find out about Daquein?

Jesse Bopp: He came to Vermont Academy through a friend in the business. I had just gotten the job and was looking for players and cast a wide net and in walked a very quiet, shy, uncertain 16- year old. We wonder if he was going to be able to make it. We had heard about what kind of kid he was and all the great things he had done, but a lot of kids show up and with an environment that they had no experience with. He was very shy and just to see where he is now three years later is a tribute to Vermont Academy and the way that they have cared for him and the things that he has done.

Gopher Hole: Originally, he picked Florida International over offers from Rhode Island, Richmond, St. Bonaventure and UAB. Had he heard from other schools?

Jesse Bopp: He had interest and was being recruited by Rutgers, Washington and VCU. They were three schools that were invested in the recruiting process with him.

Gopher Hole: Had you heard from many schools in the last week or two who figured that with Coach Pitino leaving that McNeil would re-open his recruitment?

Jesse Bopp: Schools had been reaching out since Coach Pitino left. There have been schools that reached out. I’m not going to go on record saying who those schools are, but there were a fair amount of schools that were interested to find out what he was doing.

Gopher Hole: So you have no doubt that even though people might look at it as a kid who signed with Florida International, you have no doubt that he can play at a Big Ten level?

Jesse Bopp: No question.

Once again, Chris, you are top level with your interviews. Thanks for another good one. Doc

Nice...
Gopher Hole: So you have no doubt that even though people might look at it as a kid who signed with Florida International, you have no doubt that he can play at a Big Ten level?
Jesse Bopp: No question.

I think the regime has already proven they have outstanding connections in the northeast. Having a good relationship with these prep schools is a must these days.

Now if Ben Johnson can help solidify our home base area, the next two recruiting years could prove really exciting.

He almost sounds like Dre coming out of high school. When the coach was talking about him being not a shooter but a scorer, I was imagining Dre's highlights against Findlay Prep.

He almost sounds like Dre coming out of high school. When the coach was talking about him being not a shooter but a scorer, I was imagining Dre's highlights against Findlay Prep.

I don't want to say anything negative about McNeil because it can be fixed and I certainly don't want to mess with your imagination. But why don't you dig thru the 4-5 film clips and compare Dre's shooting form with McNeil's.

I don't want to say anything negative about McNeil because it can be fixed and I certainly don't want to mess with your imagination. But why don't you dig thru the 4-5 film clips and compare Dre's shooting form with McNeil's.

I don't care about form, I'm talking about how the coach described him. He said he may not be the best outside shooter but can get in a zone where he scores from all over the court, similar to Dre. Dre isn't exactly known as a sniper, but when he is on he is usually making 3's, driving to the hoop, and hitting mid range shots.

I don't care about form, I'm talking about how the coach described him. He said he may not be the best outside shooter but can get in a zone where he scores from all over the court, similar to Dre. Dre isn't exactly known as a sniper, but when he is on he is usually making 3's, driving to the hoop, and hitting mid range shots.

The coach didn't say that and McNeil can't do that, at this point in time.

The coach didn't say that and McNeil can't do that, at this point in time.

READ

Jesse Bopp: I think for Daquein since he is such a good scorer and driver and that he has had such a success in doing that, that he could continue to develop as an outside shooter. I think that he is a scorer. I would not describe Paul Pierce as a great shooter. He is a great scorer and when he gets that rhythm and a scoring rhythm, I think that Daquein can score in a lot of different ways and that includes making shots. I think for him to improve as a shooter is definitely something that he can get better at and work at, but he can shoot because he is such a good scorer.

Alot of different ways does not equal all over the court and does not equal similar to Dre. I think next year you're going to spend alot of time watching the games with your mouth open. I'll make it easy for you. Now I'm not comparing him to this player. They are very different. But we have a current player who scores from the same distance from the basket as McNeil. His name issssssssssssssssssssssssssss Joe Coleman.

Alot of different ways does not equal all over the court and does not equal similar to Dre. I think next year you're going to spend alot of time watching the games with your mouth open. I'll make it easy for you. Now I'm not comparing him to this player. They are very different. But we have a current player who scores from the same distance from the basket as McNeil. His name issssssssssssssssssssssssssss Joe Coleman.

Funny. Maybe you have a different definition of "different" than most people. If someone were to pick out one player on our current roster that can score a lot of different ways I would say Dre's name would be mentioned most, not Joe. Joe can pretty much score one way, from a few feet out via a dunk or layup.

I'm not even comparing Dre and McNeil by the way, because I obviously haven't seen him play. I'm only saying based on his coach's description (who has seen him play for 3 years) it seems like he has that scoring mentality like Dre... not necessarily a great shooter but can get in a zone and fill it up. I would even mention Westbrook as another example of what I'm trying to say.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Coleman could blow up next year. I questioned how Tubby couldn't get him into the game and show his talents.

Really great interview!! Thanks Chris M.....Daquein having lived in Vermont for 3 winters is a huge plus coming to Minneapolis. He can tell Buckles, Smith etc. Cold? You guys don't know cold.

Coleman would never be mistaken for a combo guard, which is why he starts at the SF for us. McNeil can actually handle the ball under pressure and has court vision. They are nothing alike other than neither would be considered outside shooters.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Coleman could blow up next year. I questioned how Tubby couldn't get him into the game and show his talents.
Coleman is great in a running game. Obviously he needs to improve on his shot from the outside. But he also could stand to improve on his ability to change gears and not go into full bulldozer mode and get called for charging.

Really great interview!! Thanks Chris M.....Daquein having lived in Vermont for 3 winters is a huge plus coming to Minneapolis. He can tell Buckles, Smith etc. Cold? You guys don't know cold.

Minneapolis is colder than where he went to HS in Vermont.

He sounds like a smaller version of Vincent Grier to me. A scorer... a guy that can hit some shots when hot but a scorer. I think Dre is a shooter.. and a scorer.

Wait a minute, lemme get this straight. The kid's high school coach is talking him up? Wow, sign him up.

He sounds like a smaller version of Vincent Grier to me. A scorer... a guy that can hit some shots when hot but a scorer. I think Dre is a shooter.. and a scorer.

I like that comparison.

Almost all of the scouting reports on Dre were that he was an above average to excellent shooter with good 3pt range. A lot of schools were looking at him as a pick and pop guy. I don't see the comparison at all really.

Andre certainly does not come to mind when watching McNeil's highlights. I don't think he's that similar to anyone currently on our roster.

what impressed me most (other than his ability to drive) is his passing. It's been years since we've had a good passer. I didn't like the comparison to Russ Smith, pray he's better

Andre certainly does not come to mind when watching McNeil's highlights. I don't think he's that similar to anyone currently on our roster.

My guess is that Al Nolen is a Gopher we will compare this kid to. Good handle, great driving ability and athleticism and the ability to hound on defense but not a great shooter. I'd take it. He's taller than Nolen, so that's good as well.

what impressed me most (other than his ability to drive) is his passing. It's been years since we've had a good passer. I didn't like the comparison to Russ Smith, pray he's better

I hope he's half the player Russ Smith is.

My guess is that Al Nolen is a Gopher we will compare this kid to. Good handle, great driving ability and athleticism and the ability to hound on defense but not a great shooter. I'd take it. He's taller than Nolen, so that's good as well.

Yup, that's exactly what I'm hoping for. If he can be disruptive on defense like Nolen while being a reliable ball handler I'll be very happy.

Dre isn't known as a sniper and Paul Pierce isn't a great shooter? These are quite the standards.

Top Bottom