STrib: Debate continues over unlimited contact with basketball recruits

BleedGopher

Reaction score
“All … the … time,” said Rashad Vaughn of the frequency of incoming messages. The Cooper shooting guard, who has yet to narrow his college considerations, said he has received up to 30 messages in a single day. One night in January, he heard from coaches at North Carolina, Louisville, Florida, Iowa State and Baylor.

“It’s nice, I guess,” Vaughn said of the attention. “Sometimes it’s overwhelming.”

Reid Travis of DeLaSalle — a forward who, with Jones and Vaughn, is rated among ESPN’s top 40 recruits in the Class of 2014 — gets an average of five texts and three calls a day. Those rates are rising. Sometimes his phone responds with “no longer accepting calls at this time.”

“I try to get back to them on Sundays,” Travis said. “It can be overwhelming. But it’s just there.”

Debbie Jones was ready for the attention directed at her son.

“We had a plan, and that included calling coaches and telling them one text message or one phone call a week is enough,” she said.

http://www.mnbasketballhub.com/news_article/show/247940?referrer_id=198777

Go Gophers!!

You know what is very interesting from a Gopher Fan's perspective...

I was very against this unlimited contact when Tubby was our coach and now I don't think I mind so much now that we have a young energetic coach who will have to go the extra mile to compete in our league. Funny how 2 months and a coaching change can influence an opinion.

I was very against this unlimited contact when Tubby was our coach and now I don't think I mind so much now that we have a young energetic coach who will have to go the extra mile to compete in our league. Funny how 2 months and a coaching change can influence an opinion.

Ha! I thought the same thing.

Go Gophers!!

Interesting perspective, and I totally agree.

I've had recruits tell me that they'll get 10 texts, 5 phone calls, and 3 messages in one day...all from just one website! The media is all over these kids, and pile on all the coach contact, I can't even imagine dealing with that!

P.S. I love Debbie Jones...another why reason is as grounded as he is.

If Pitino can come close to Tubby's first two classes, I'll be very impressed.

I hear you as it may help our chances, but this has to drive kids and their families crazy. I am still opposed to the unlimited contact. The NCAA and high schools need to do something to help the familes fend this stuff off. The Jones's have it right because they have been in the spotlight for years, but there are a lot of families that may not get it. Providing them a little wisdom would help.

If Pitino can come close to Tubby's first two classes, I'll be very impressed.

1. Recruit
2. Develop
3. Retain

Tubby's first two classes were great for criteria #1, not so good on 2 and 3.

Joseph - developed but not retained
Iverson - developed after he left
Bostick - never panned out
Sampson - stayed 4 years- didn't develop
Carter - left after a year

Williams - showed a flash in year three- okay career but not to expectations
White - never played
Cobb - left after a year

Pretty amazing- all that potential and we probably got almost as much out of Monson's last class of Nolen and Hoff as the whole lot of Tubby's first two classes.

From the article in post #1:

A change in NCAA rules in October 2011 reformed men’s basketball recruiting practices to allow unlimited contact with players beginning June 15 after their sophomore year. The deregulation unleashed limitless phone calls, text messages, e-mails and private messages on social networks to elite high school athletes such as Jones and other highly sought players.

There is something very icky about the image of Bo Ryan friending a 16-year-old baller on Facebook.

I don't know, part of me thinks that the system sorts itself out. Most kids will end up figuring out something that protects themselves (e.g. private number, only give out Mom's number, etc). Emails are easy to ignore. Phone numbers are easy to block.

I would think that as the floodgates open, coaches that are "all over" kids will end up doing themselves more harm than good. Who wants to play for a spaz coach that acts like a crazy-ex?

Top Bottom