Recap of Pitino interview on 1500...talked player evaluation, conditiong, recruiting

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Pitino was on 1500 ESPN this evening. Here is a recap. This is not verbatim, but close:

Pitino on getting situated at Minnesota...It's bit of a whirlwind. It's a great thing but you have to get a bunch of things in place before we get it up and running.

Pitino on the process of the first couple of weeks on the job...I did it last year so its fresh on my mind. FIU was a lot more difficult than this. What's tough is through the recruiting rules is that we only get two more weekends this month and then I'm done until July. Then you have to reach out to your team now. You've got to work with them and establish what you want to do nad build a culture what you want to do. We have to make sure that they finish well academically and then we have to put at staff together. It's tough, but it's a lot of fun.

Pitino on how hard he is going to recruit Minnesota...
I am amazed at the fact that I've never seen a State that supports a University like the entire state of Minnesota does. Not only have I ever seen this before, but we're not just a basketball, football or hockey school. They love every sport. With that much pride you have to recruit the State. There are so many Gopher fans. Certainly doing our part to recruit the State, but we have to recruit nationally because we have so much to offer.

Pitino on focusing on the positives at the U...It's a mind set. Ive been here for over a week and everyone talks about things we don't have. I have coached at places that have had it all. Those are all very nice but in the end is what matters to these players is the people they work with and that's my job. We have enough through a great home court advantage. We have a great degree at a great University. The pieces are there. We'll talk about what we do have and not what we don't have.

Pitino on being a stat geek...We chart a lot of things during the course of the game. A lot of different stats you don't see on the box score. When you press a lot you have to look at deflections, blow by, taking charges. We play a lot of different defenses. If you aren't charting those things during the game you don't have a great indication of that.

Pitino on deeper stats...We press on every make and we have more possessions per game. I got frustrated last year by our defensive numbers and our assistant coach told me that I'm looking at the wrong number because we have more possessions than most teams so I started to look at Kempom.

Pitino on working hard in recruiting...You have to live and die by this. We have to do this with work ethic alone. We can't take anything for granted. It has to be through an unbelievable work ethic from top to bottom. We hold each other accountable.

Pitino on first meeting with team...
We talked about being a highly disciplined team. You have to be disciplined in every facet of life. Coach Smith laid a very good foundation, you can tell that.

Pitino on impressions of Gopher team...
I am excited about it. I really am. You look at Austin and Andre and they are really good players, really talented. They will do really well in our system. I love Maverick's shooting ability. I think he has to lose a little weight. Joe Coleman is another guy who can play several positions. I'm excited to see Buggs play as I haven't seen him yet as he's sick. I also really like Oto. I see him as a pick and pop guy. His ability to knock down shots, really excites me. Wally is such a great athlete. Elliot and Mo, once they get in shape they'll be very good players. They need to get in shape which will take a while.

Pitino on conditioning...
It's really important, from everything from individual instruction to team work. When we run instruction it's high volume. I do a lot of my teaching through film. I try not to stop practice too long. We watch a lot of film. We teach them through that (film). We try to get them to play through a certain amount of chaos.

Pitino on the best coaching advice he's received...
I've received so much great advice. I lean on my Dad and Billy. It was helpful to me growing up seeing my Dad run a program.

Pitino on recruiting...We don't want to take the wrong guy. The tough part is through the evaluation rules we can only go to so many tournaments. You have to use your contacts, see who's available and make sure you take the right fit. You can't reach for a guy.

http://www.1500espn.com/

Go Gophers!!

You have some sentences in here that don't seem accurate. "I am amazed at the fact that I've never seen a State that supports the University" stood out the most. " I lean on my Dad and Pitino." I'm sure these are just typos. Otherwise thanks for posting, lots of good stuff here.

You have some sentences in here that don't seem accurate. "I am amazed at the fact that I've never seen a State that supports the University" stood out the most. " I lean on my Dad and Pitino." I'm sure these are just typos. Otherwise thanks for posting, lots of good stuff here.

Thanks - I fixed the sentences which reflect what he said.

Go Gophers!!

Wait Mav has to lose weight?

If you are going to be a guard in this defense you need to be quick to cut off the opposing PG and force a trap. It isn't like he is fat but he can lose 10-15 and get quicker.

How can we be sure? Maybe Billy is his dad and we've been had. I think we need our friend Dr. Whatshisname to investigate for us.

Thanks, Bleed. It's too bad you aren't paid for all the work you do on here, haha. I love that I never have to Google anything on the Gophers.

Must have had the chat with Mav already lol

@CaLi_LuvsME: Trying to start eating somewhat healthy, gotta lose this baby fat lol #diet @ Coffman Memorial Union http://t.co/mZSjnj7Ron

How can we be sure? Maybe Billy is his dad and we've been had. I think we need our friend Dr. Whatshisname to investigate for us.

Howeda7, if you are referring to me, that is outside of my field of expertise. Even tho I am retired, I am still too busy dealing with "other things" on an as needed basis, and trust me, there is a lot of need. :)

Maybe Chris Monter can interview the parties in question and give us a report?

I think when he says he's never seen a state that supports a program more....in Florida people are divided between FSU, FLA and Miami...in Kentucky..you have Louisville and Kentucky....Michigan-Mich St....ILL-Northwestern etc. In Minnesota....we have Minnesota and pretty much everyone in the state roots for Minnesota in football and basketball. There are not many places like that.

I think when he says he's never seen a state that supports a program more....in Florida people are divided between FSU, FLA and Miami...in Kentucky..you have Louisville and Kentucky....Michigan-Mich St....ILL-Northwestern etc. In Minnesota....we have Minnesota and pretty much everyone in the state roots for Minnesota in football and basketball. There are not many places like that.

Yep that's how I took it. Even Wisconsin has Marquette for basketball and Iowa has Iowa State. It's also something I never really thought about before, I'm not sure there is another major conference program that has that advantage. If we ever got our athletic department in order, I think that uniqueness could really be taken advantage of in a big way.

Pitino on being a stat geek...We chart a lot of things during the course of the game....

Pitino on deeper stats...We press on every make and we have more possessions per game. I got frustrated last year by our defensive numbers and our assistant coach told me that I'm looking at the wrong number because we have more possessions than most teams so I started to look at Kempom.

Oh boy.

Minnesota is by far the largest state (population wise) with only 1 Division-I program, ranking at 21st. The next closest states with only 1 D-I program are Hawaii at 40, Maine at 41, Vermont at 49, and Wyoming at 50.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_Division_I_institutions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_population

No I am not anti-Gophers. I think Richard is being a salesman here. "we have a lot to offer"???? The only school that has less to offer is NW. Richard, you need to force the U to spend money on basketball. That should be your number one goal.

Lets focus on what we have not what we don't have. It seems like Richard spent a bunch of time with Tony Robins when he was in Florida.

Go Gophers

No I am not anti-Gophers. I think Richard is being a salesman here. "we have a lot to offer"???? The only school that has less to offer is NW. Richard, you need to force the U to spend money on basketball. That should be your number one goal.

Lets focus on what we have not what we don't have. It seems like Richard spent a bunch of time with Tony Robins when he was in Florida.

Go Gophers

So you were a fan of Tubby complaining about not having a practice facility?

Go Gophers
We do have a lot to offer...Minneapolis is so much better than Champagne, Iowa City, Columbus, Bloomington, Ann Arbor, College Station etc. We have a myriad of great programs at the U....we are in the best basketball conference in the country....Pitino is right...there are over 300 D1 basketball program and we have a helluva lot more to offer them than most. Do we have anything better than Louisville? A better education, playing time and a better conference (I'm not saying that anyone would choose MN over the national champ...my point is that we even have some thing to offer that are better that the National Champ) Also Northwestern has the best degree in the Big10...for some kids that's very important.

Yep that's how I took it. Even Wisconsin has Marquette for basketball and Iowa has Iowa State. It's also something I never really thought about before, I'm not sure there is another major conference program that has that advantage. If we ever got our athletic department in order, I think that uniqueness could really be taken advantage of in a big way.

I've been screaming that for years. Even NoDak and SoDak have two.

I grew up a Gopher fan in west central MN. I'm not sure if that would have been the case if there were more than one D1 school/team.

We do have a lot to offer...Minneapolis is so much better than Champagne, Iowa City, Columbus, Bloomington, Ann Arbor, College Station etc. We have a myriad of great programs at the U....we are in the best basketball conference in the country....Pitino is right...there are over 300 D1 basketball program and we have a helluva lot more to offer them than most. Do we have anything better than Louisville? A better education, playing time and a better conference (I'm not saying that anyone would choose MN over the national champ...my point is that we even have some thing to offer that are better that the National Champ) Also Northwestern has the best degree in the Big10...for some kids that's very important.

Minneapolis is a great city but bigger is not necessarily better to many people. Some people prefer a smaller(college town) atmosphere. Different strokes for different folks. And so on and so forth.

Being the only show in town has it's advantages also.

I agree with you 100% but would this be good enough to attract bigtime players? I say no. I am with you with quality of education. I may be contradicting myself but I did make fun of Louisville for being such a crappy school but national champs. I think when you share your basketball arena with many other events in the city, you do not have much to offer.

Go Gophers

Go Gophers

You need to turn the page. I was a Tubby supporter pretty much until the end, but I've had no trouble moving on. We understand that you're having trouble accepting the fact Tubby was fired. You've made your point.

Just a suggestion, but you might be better served frequenting the Texas Tech fan site. They'd probably love to hear more about Tubby. I think most of us here are more interested in moving forward and seeing how our new/young head coach can handle the rigors of coaching/recruiting vs. some of the coaching giants in the Big 10, of which there are many.

Minneapolis is a great city but bigger is not necessarily better to many people. Some people prefer a smaller(college town) atmosphere. Different strokes for different folks. And so on and so forth.

Being the only show in town has it's advantages also.

Absolutely...different strokes for different folks. You have 13 scholarships to give...there are 18,000 high schools in the United States..if each one has say an average of 5 seniors on its basketball team you have 90,000 kids you can potentially recruit. It is not that hard to come up with 4 each year that can get excited about playing at Minnesota and have the ability to compete in the Big10. It is a lot easier than the challenge the football program faces. There are many great players who go unrecruited because they played at small schools, their coaches weren't good and they didn't develop etc. It's a lot easier to find the diamonds in the rough in basketball because the big programs can't have a recruiting class of 27 like they can in football.

Pitino on being a stat geek...We chart a lot of things during the course of the game....

GW, I know the quote looks bad, but I think it was more misspeaking than actually not understanding advanced stats. What he was getting at IMO was that they turn teams over more often so even if the Defensive FG% looks bad, the PPP on defense might not look bad (a la the VCU Rams). Of course, the possessions angle is nonsense

Hmm...Coach, you might want to cue game video of Oto.

rabidflywheel...I can only hope that Coach Pitino will pull success out of Oto so we can come back to you and say, "ruppertflywheel, you might want to eat yours words."

OH, btw, are you giving up on Oto?

I thought it was interesting that he brought up Mav third after mentioning the Hollins'. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I get the feeling he thinks Mav can be a jump shooting weapon and make some big shots for us next year. Indeed, he made some big shots for us last year.

I thought it was interesting that he brought up Mav third after mentioning the Hollins'. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I get the feeling he thinks Mav can be a jump shooting weapon and make some big shots for us next year. Indeed, he made some big shots for us last year.

I'd like to see him play solely off the ball and see what he can do as a shooter. I think that's the only way he makes a positive impact on this team. Hopefully McNeil can do a at least a solid job at point guard so this can be allowed.

Why, because Pitino wants to unleash the beast that is Oto? What should he do, try and suppress a players strength like the previous coach would?

Oto clearly has no strength. Pitino said he was excited about his shooting. The stats clearly state he has no business ever shooting.

I was obviously joking about firing him. I'm stoked for the Pitino era to begin!

Top Bottom