Report: McNeil Coming To Minnesota UPDATED 4/23: McNeil signs LOI with Gophers

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
Posted this in the spring recruiting thread, but since this guy has connections to Baltimore area I figured it is worth starting a new thread. Seems like a solid get and not really all that surprising.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ESPN: http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/124629/daquein-mcneil
RIVALS: http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Daquein-McNeil-130169
SCOUT: http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4907653

Thanks for the info. Looks like a good catch. For a "2-3 star" player, he certainly had some nice offers from big time bb schools.

Thanks for the news and way to be on the ball! Twitter really comes in handy for recent news.

Anybody know much about McNeil or will fill me in?

Looks like a good get to me. Has the hand and foot speed to play Pitino's uptempo style. Looks like he has the handle to play the point and the athleticism to move over to the 2 if necessary.

1) Tweets are not reports
2) Let's see if this happens. Did the coaching search teach us nothing?

Report from B.A.L.L.A.'S TV
What Impressed Us About Daquein Mcneil

• Very Fast with the ball in his hands doen't let defenders impede his drives to the basket because of his strength.
  • Very capable and willing passer; found cutters while he was driving towards basket.
  • Doesn't need the ball to score, will run the break for easy layups or finish around the basket off of offensive rebounds.
  • Great rebounder at the guard position.
  • Good on the ball defender and capable shot blocker.
  • Doesn't shoot to many jump shots but efficient on the ones he takes.
  • Good athlete who can play above the rim.

1) Tweets are not reports
2) Let's see if this happens. Did the coaching search teach us nothing?

Well a person who runs AAU events in Baltimore, where McNeil is from, is reporting he's been told McNeil will be going to Minnesota. Not sure how I could have titled the thread any more clearly. There literally is a report that McNeil is coming here. I didn't say it's official, I said it has been reported.

What year is he and when is he eligible? We need bodies next year, and this sounds like a typical transfer which does not have him on the court until 14-15.

Well a person who runs AAU events in Baltimore, where McNeil is from, is reporting he's been told McNeil will be going to Minnesota. Not sure how I could have titled the thread any more clearly. There literally is a report that McNeil is coming here. I didn't say it's official, I said it has been reported.

What year is he and when is he eligible? We need bodies next year, and this sounds like a typical transfer which does not have him on the court until 14-15.

He's a 2013 recruit. He's like Ellis, he had signed his LOI to go to FIU, but got out of it and it looks like is now following Pitino here. He doesn't have to sit out or anything.

A freshman for year 2013.

He's a 2013 recruit. He's like Ellis, he had signed his LOI to go to FIU, but got out of it and it looks like is now following Pitino here. He doesn't have to sit out or anything.

Perfect.

Now how long will it be before we hear about settling for two star recruits?

I'm in the category of that if the coach thinks he can play, he probably can, and he fills a MAJOR need on this club.

He's a 3 star on Rivals and Scout and has some decent offers. He also passes the eye test in his highlights. Seems legit.

Report from B.A.L.L.A.'S TV
What Impressed Us About Daquein Mcneil

• Very Fast with the ball in his hands doen't let defenders impede his drives to the basket because of his strength.
  • Very capable and willing passer; found cutters while he was driving towards basket.
  • Doesn't need the ball to score, will run the break for easy layups or finish around the basket off of offensive rebounds.
  • Great rebounder at the guard position.
  • Good on the ball defender and capable shot blocker.
  • Doesn't shoot to many jump shots but efficient on the ones he takes.
  • Good athlete who can play above the rim.

Daquein Mcneil is a 6'3 combo guard from Baltimore, Maryland who is being recruited by schools like Providence, Louisville, VCU, Rutgers and others. Mcneil plays for Vermont Academy who was top 25 in the country by five star basketball that includes 3 other players in our top Basketball Prospect rankings in 2013. Daquein seems to have the choice of what position he will play in college because he can get to the basket almost at will and distribute the ball.

Based on comments, maybe a stronger/bigger version of Al Nolen?

I get the sense he's not as much of a pure PG as Nolen, more of a transition scoring combo guard. Al Nolen was pretty strong, he was 2 inches shorter and 20 pounds heavier.

nolen_thumb.jpg

Probably unlikely that McNeil had a Louisville offer at the time of his commitment to FIU. From reading both Gopher Warriors post (and some other articles around the web), I think it's likely that McNeil had some of those bigger programs express interest (and possibly offer) before becoming concerned about his academics. From his own mouth, his move to Vermont Academy from Baltimore was good for him academically.

One thing I've noticed about McNeil is that I have not been able to find any video of him finishing with his left hand. There's several plays out there where he seems to go out of his way to get to his right hand to finish. The kid seems like a very good athlete and in that short video I posted of him versus Rector, I thought he looked like the better prospect (obviously a tiny sample size).

Probably unlikely that McNeil had a Louisville offer at the time of his commitment to FIU. From reading both Gopher Warriors post (and some other articles around the web), I think it's likely that McNeil had some of those bigger programs express interest (and possibly offer) before becoming concerned about his academics. From his own mouth, his move to Vermont Academy from Baltimore was good for him academically.

One thing I've noticed about McNeil is that I have not been able to find any video of him finishing with his left hand. There's several plays out there where he seems to go out of his way to get to his right hand to finish. The kid seems like a very good athlete and in that short video I posted of him versus Rector, I thought he looked like the better prospect (obviously a tiny sample size).

The important aspect is McNeil had interest/offers from some big bb schools

+1

The important aspect is McNeil had interest/offers from some big bb schools

Published on July 14, 2011 (long time ago) Foster had big offers as a sophomore...
Pitino and staff have extended a scholarship offer to 2013 combo guard Daquan McNeil. The Baltimore native has racked up quite a few offers over the past couple of days, due to his stellar play at the Nike EYBL Peach Jam. McNeil currently holds offers from Rutgers, South Florida, and Washington with Uconn, Oklahoma St, Louisville, Arizona, California, and Texas.

McNeil is a gifted athlete, who can score at will. At 6-4 180 lb. he can score in a variety of ways. McNeil has led his Baltimore Elite AAU club to some impressive wins in North Augusta this week.

http://www.thecardinalconnect.com/2011/07/14/louisville-offers-2013-combo-guard-daquan-mcneil/

Top Bottom