Mike Balado to pursue an assistant job at FIU; UPDATED: Steve Goodson new Dir of Ops

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

@gophersnow: #Gophers are saying Pitino is allowing director of basketball Mike Balado to pursue an assistant job at Florida International if he wants.

Go Gophers!!

He'd be moving from Director of Basketball Operations position to an Assistant Coaching position. What's strange?

I'd guess being an assistant is a promotion to director of bball? Would Jirsa have been making more than Esposito for example.

I'd guess being an assistant is a promotion to director of bball? Would Jirsa have been making more than Esposito for example.

Jirsa made almost 2x what Esposito made.

This is an obvious situation of people who communicate with other, discuss pros and cons, and make a professional decision.

Of course, professionalism is nothing compared to experts.

And of course some, or should I say several, missed the terminology...."permission to pursue..."

FIU just hired somebody yesterday right? Maybe the guy they hired knows Balado and called him.

I can't find any direct connection between coach Anthony Evans formerly of Norfolk St. in the MEAC and Mike. Anthony and Richard were both finalists for the FIU position. Their paths could have crossed while both were assistant coaches Anthony at Norfolk St. and Mike at Fl. Atlantic from 2003-2007. Maybe, Mike's wife just wants to live in an area, that doesn't have a spring, fall and winter?

I can't find any direct connection between coach Anthony Evans formerly of Norfolk St. in the MEAC and Mike. Anthony and Richard were both finalists for the FIU position. Their paths could have crossed while both were assistant coaches Anthony at Norfolk St. and Mike at Fl. Atlantic from 2003-2007. Maybe, Mike's wife just wants to live in an area, that doesn't have a spring, fall and winter?

If she spent the last week or so here with him, then no explanation is necessary. Might be the worst weather I've ever seen here given the time of year.

No one is denied seeking a promotion. No-brainer.

No one is denied seeking a promotion. No-brainer.

Yep. Wholly unsurprised by this news. It would be really bad PR to not let someone pursue a promotion, and it would be not be good practice for adding other coaches.

@randball: Sounds like Mike Balado won't be #gophers dir of bb ops. Hearing Steve Goodson will be on @MNCoachPitino staff. He was spec asst to Tubby

Go Gophers!!

Am assuming now that he's the Basketball Ops guy Goodson will be the Gophers' "schedule-maker"? Will be interesting to see what kind of schedule Goodson-Pitino put together for their first season.

Goodson always seemed to be a player favorite for the current roster guys, so hopefully he is kind of a glue guy during the transition to the Pitino era.

Huge promotion for Goodson. He's going to be almost tripling his salary, assuming he gets paid similarly to Esposito.

Didn't Sid just report Goodson was following Tubby to TT?

Huge promotion for Goodson. He's going to be almost tripling his salary, assuming he gets paid similarly to Esposito.

I thought I saw a figure of $80k for Balado as DBO (less than Esposito).. would think something similar.. not that it matters.

Seems to indicate younger Pitino knows a good coach when he sees one, or at least he has very good connections in finding assistants.

Seems to indicate younger Pitino knows a good coach when he sees one, or at least he has very good connections in finding assistants.

So Rick just poached one of his son's assistants away? Hmm...

Interesting that Richy tried to hire him as the director of bball operations, while Rick may hire him on as an ACTUAL assistant at LOUISVILLE. Perhaps the younger Pitino undervalued him (or the elder will overvalue him.)

Top Bottom