New Q&A: Henry Ellenson Talks Richard Pitino, Recruiting and Track & Field

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Henry Ellenson Talks Richard Pitino, Recruiting and Track & Field
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/247703?referrer_id=331171

Six-foot-9, 250 pound forward Henry Ellenson, the younger brother of current Gophers freshman Wally, has emerged as a top 25 prospect in the country. Gopher Hole.com caught up with Ellenson after he helped lead Minnesota D1 16-and-under team to a 3-1 mark in the Minnesota Comets’ Spring Shootout as they played up in the 17-and-under division.

Ellenson averaged 21.5 points per game as he helped lead the Warriors to a 20-5 record this past season.

Gopher Hole: What was your reaction when you heard that Minnesota was changing head coaches?

Henry Ellenson: I was a little surprised because they had won their first round tournament game, but I guess change was needed.

Gopher Hole: What was your reaction when you heard about Coach Pitino. Did you know much about him?

Henry Ellenson: I did not know. I know that he is the son of Rick Pitino. He is a young guy, so that was about all I knew.

Gopher Hole: It seems that they are going to be more up-tempo. Wally would probably be a good fit in that style. Is that something that makes you excited about getting to know the new coaching staff?

Henry Ellenson: Yes. I am excited because I am a guy who likes to run and the fact that they are going to keep it more up-tempo.

Gopher Hole: What is the latest on your recruitment? How many offers are you up to right now?

Henry Ellenson: I actually got two more. I got Creighton and Wisconsin, so I have eight of them, I think.

Gopher Hole: What others schools are you hearing from besides the ones that have offered you?

Henry Ellenson: UCLA. I have been hearing from North Carolina.

Gopher Hole: When did Creighton and Wisconsin offer you?

Henry Ellenson: Wisconsin offered me about a month ago and Creighton was last week.

Gopher Hole: Have you had colleges stop by your school or house lately?

Henry Ellenson: I haven’t.

Gopher Hole: I know that Minnesota has been trying to reach out to a lot of kids that they are recruiting this week once they got their coaching staff put together. Are you expecting to hear from them this week?

Henry Ellenson: Yes. I know that they said that they want to come watch us next weekend, so I’ll probably be hearing from them.

Gopher Hole: It looks like you lost some weight. Is that something you wanted to do to get a little bit quicker and more athletic?

Henry Ellenson: I have been hitting the weight room hard lately. I have been in track and I have been lifting hard.

Gopher Hole: What events have you been doing for track?

Henry Ellenson: High jump and discus.

Gopher Hole: How are you doing in that?

Henry Ellenson: I am doing pretty good, actually. I have been placing in my last couple of meets, so it is good.

Gopher Hole: What is your best high jump?

Henry Ellenson: 5-8.

Gopher Hole: You’ve got a ways to catch up with your brother. Wally recently jumped over seven-foot. Are you surprised that he has done so well in his first meet? He has been very impressive.

Henry Ellenson: He was ready for it. It’s crazy how high he gets.

Gopher Hole: This year, it is just you playing AAU basketball. In the past, you might have to hang around, while another brother was practicing. Is it kind of nice to just have to worry about yourself this year?

Henry Ellenson: Actually, it is a little tough because Ellwood used to drive me to practice, but he doesn’t have to go, so I haven’t been to as many practices. I thought about it and I am by myself for once.

Gopher Hole: You played with Wally and Ellwood two years ago and with Ellwood this past season. Is it going to be weird to not see a familiar face on the court next season?

Henry Ellenson: Very weird. It is going to be totally different, I think. I still have Elkla (his younger sister).

Gopher Hole: What things are you working on to continue to improve yourself as a player?

Henry Ellenson: Dribbling and getting quicker with that because Minnesota basketball is a lot quicker and AAU basketball is a lot faster, too. Getting quicker with the dribble. I can’t keep it up so high. Get low and get to the basket.

Gopher Hole: With the coaching changes, does that help their chances of getting you? Have you thought about that or does it have much of an impact?

Henry Ellenson: It is nice that they are running an up-tempo that is something that I am interested in, but we’ll see what happens.

Chris, thanks again for all of the one on one interviews you do and sharing them with us.

Top Bottom