Coach P's Recruiting Priorities

Reaction score
I am just wondering what everyone thinks about this... How should Rich handle balancing getting people for this year and recruiting the big 3/class of 2015?

Offer scholarships to all of them and get as many as you can.

PF is priority #1 for 2013-14. Maybe another PG/combo guard to bridge the gap to Tyus (slim and none) or whoever the PG is we get in 2014-15 to play behind and/or alongside Andre.

Otherwise, could live with banking schollies for 2014-15 and beyond.

PF is priority #1 for 2013-14. Maybe another PG/combo guard to bridge the gap to Tyus (not likely to happen) or whoever the PG is we get in 2014-15.

Otherwise, could live with banking schollies for 2014-15 and beyond.

Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that we need to get another PF type of player. Buckles would be ideal because he would let us fill that need and BANK scholarships

I am just wondering what everyone thinks about this... How should Rich handle balancing getting people for this year and recruiting the big 3/class of 2015?

Spring 2013 - get rental players to fill one year gap
Fall 2013- Get in as many great recruits in as you can up to 5- need a PF and a PG for sure but we really could use one at every position.
Fall 2014- Fill in the gaps- priorities on JJ and Illkanen or equivalent

New Scholarships for 2013-2014

Rakeem Buckles (Hopefully he is healthy and plays this year).
Malik Smith (Another one and done player - might be nice to have a couple players familiar with Richard's new style on the team).

Tarik Black (Another one and done - already a long line for him - but I am a lil curious why he is transferring from his home town team for his final year).
Cameron Forte (Junior College transfer who would come in as a sophomore in eligibility - he has lots of offers).
Shane Rector (Freshman Point Guard - Released from Rutgers LOI - Rutgers just named their new coach - Also FIU just named their new coach).

I could easily settle for the top 2 --- Buckles and Smith. Then give the final 2 2013-2014 scholarships to:

Chris Halvorson for his senior year and,
Kendall Shell for his Junior year with only a one-year guarantee.

With Buckles - Smith - Halvorson - Shell - along with seniors Ahanmisi and Austin Hollins - that would leave 6 scholarships for 2014-2015.

Something tells me that with all the transfers we are seeing there will not be much of a problem finding scholarships in any of the years ahead.

New Scholarships for 2013-2014

Rakeem Buckles (Hopefully he is healthy and plays this year).
Malik Smith (Another one and done player - might be nice to have a couple players familiar with Richard's new style on the team).

Tarik Black (Another one and done - already a long line for him - but I am a lil curious why he is transferring from his home town team for his final year).
Cameron Forte (Junior College transfer who would come in as a sophomore in eligibility - he has lots of offers).
Shane Rector (Freshman Point Guard - Released from Rutgers LOI - Rutgers just named their new coach - Also FIU just named their new coach).

I could easily settle for the top 2 --- Buckles and Smith. Then give the final 2 2013-2014 scholarships to:

Chris Halvorson for his senior year and,
Kendall Shell for his Junior year with only a one-year guarantee.

With Buckles - Smith - Halvorson - Shell - along with seniors Ahanmisi and Austin Hollins - that would leave 6 scholarships for 2014-2015.

Something tells me that with all the transfers we are seeing there will not be much of a problem finding scholarships in any of the years ahead.

I would actually prefer to not have a 6 player class. It just leads to too many issues in the future. I wouldn't mind a 6 player class if they included the Big 3 (or part of that triumvirate) because I don't see them going 4 years. I guess if we have a six player class for next season, I hope there are a couple JuCo guys.

We need more guards to play anywhere close to the style Pitano wants. And I mean at least one this spring possibly two.. To have watched this team struggle in the half court offense and on defense keeping quick guards out of the lane your kidding yourself if you think we can stay status quo and be successful.Our ballhandling is flat out terrible. A big player is of course a must. My guess is a scholarship or two is going to open up in the course of the next few months.

I'm just glad I get don't have Ricco's job...I agree with his assessment that right now, making the NCAA's would be unreasonable. Now, if we can land some key ready to play recruits, we would have a chance.

Bring in good players who can help him at Minnesota and want to be in the program. "Recruit" every day.

Top Bottom