Star Tribune: Monday (Richard Pitino Q&A) edition: Wha' Happened?

jaymil

Reaction score
"Q How does the current roster fit the up-tempo style you want to play, which is different that the previous system?
A I think we have some pieces to be able to do that with Andre Hollins and Austin Hollins, they have good speed. Joe Coleman has good athleticism. Maverick can shoot the ball. A guy like Oto can shoot the basketball from what I’ve seen. That was why we won last year at FIU. We brought in guys who fit the style, and I think the style took over. We have to do the same here in a couple weeks."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/203045231.html

Oto must shoot lights out in practice.

I agree, Oto must be awesome in practice but holy crap he was awful in real games.

Yeah I remember Tubby saying similar things. By all accounts Oto's a good shooter in practice but obviously that doesn't carry over to the bright lights. His shot even LOOKS ugly in games.

... and that seems unlikely to change.

Oto just needs to grow a pair. Every time he gets on the court he looks like he is praying no one passes him the ball when he's in a situation to shoot or score. I've never seen such a scared basketball player at this level.

Yeah I remember Tubby saying similar things. By all accounts Oto's a good shooter in practice but obviously that doesn't carry over to the bright lights. His shot even LOOKS ugly in games.

... and that seems unlikely to change.

He had a couple of games two years ago where he posted up and scored some baskets in the paint and looked pretty good doing it, last year he just tanked, I just can't imagine how a player can go that far backwards in a year, the complete lack of confidence in Otto and a good part of the B1G year for Austin, those two, and maybe Mo, if you can instill and play with confidence it may be more important than any additions to the team. Without a coaching change I didn't see how there would be any chance of making the NCAA next year, I'm hoping the new coach can create an environment where some of these players can prosper, if not we won't be in the dance.

"Q How does the current roster fit the up-tempo style you want to play, which is different that the previous system?
A I think we have some pieces to be able to do that with Andre Hollins and Austin Hollins, they have good speed. Joe Coleman has good athleticism. Maverick can shoot the ball. A guy like Oto can shoot the basketball from what I’ve seen. That was why we won last year at FIU. We brought in guys who fit the style, and I think the style took over. We have to do the same here in a couple weeks."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/203045231.html

Oto must shoot lights out in practice.

Pitino was also at Florida when Oto was being recruited there, so perhaps he's just remembering the recruiting tapes way back when...before he turned into the player he is today (or lack-there-of)

The rest of the roster doesn't look to fit Ricky's style. The great high-jumper isn't a shooter, just a dunker. Buggs, good size/is athletic. Mo Walker: Really? Elliason will need to keep improving. Shell and Halvorson: I have no idea on their games. If they can't run and play D, better transfer.

The rest of the roster doesn't look to fit Ricky's style. The great high-jumper isn't a shooter, just a dunker. Buggs, good size/is athletic. Mo Walker: Really? Elliason will need to keep improving. Shell and Halvorson: I have no idea on their games. If they can't run and play D, better transfer.

You realize they're walk ons right? They won't transfer, they aren't here for the playing time

From the comment section:

"I read the full text of this interview twice and I still don't see any questions about the temperature of the chili that Pitino will be bringing to the U. I can't tell if this new coach is hungry or if he's starving. This was a real missed opportunity, RandBall."

I really liked this one:

Q: You brought up practice facility in your introductory press conference and you downplayed it, but how important will that be eventually here?

A: I’d say this: I’ve recruited at Louisville and Florida, and they’ve had practice facilities. And I don’t think one kid has come because of a practice facility. When the time comes and we get it, it will probably help my life in the fact that it will be easier. But guys aren’t going to come here because of practice facility. Guys are going to come here because of conference – best in the country. Great fan base? One of the best in the country. A great university? Certainly one of the best in the country. And then they’re going to come because of me and my staff. All those [facilities] are nice, but that’s not what’s going to build a program.

It's almost universally acknowledged by anyone involved with the team that Oto can shoot the ball well. I haven't heard a single report that even disputes this. This season, we're gonna find out if it the reason it wasn't translating on the court was a matter of coaching style not meshing, or if this kid just doesn't have it in regards to handling things when the lights come on, cause Pitino has now gone on record believing it's in him, so if he can't get it out of him, I don't know what to make of it.

I really liked this one:

Q: You brought up practice facility in your introductory press conference and you downplayed it, but how important will that be eventually here?

A: I’d say this: I’ve recruited at Louisville and Florida, and they’ve had practice facilities. And I don’t think one kid has come because of a practice facility. When the time comes and we get it, it will probably help my life in the fact that it will be easier. But guys aren’t going to come here because of practice facility. Guys are going to come here because of conference – best in the country. Great fan base? One of the best in the country. A great university? Certainly one of the best in the country. And then they’re going to come because of me and my staff. All those [facilities] are nice, but that’s not what’s going to build a program.

What a breath of fresh air.

Here's one I liked:

Q When the Minnesota job first became a reality, as in it could happen, what was going through your head?
A My wife [Jill] and I would always joke, we’d sit in the house in Miami and say, “where are we going to raise Ava, our daughter?" I always said, "Jill, you will never be able to predict what’s next." Sure enough, the Minnesota opportunity comes up. It was a great opportunity in a special place with a special fan base and a great university with a great AD in Norwood Teague. When the opportunity came, I ran with it. … I think she’s excited now because we can have some stability. She’s excited about that. As an assistant coach, you never know where you might turn. At Florida International, it was great, they were great to us, but you never knew if an opportunity would present itself. She’s excited to establish a life here. I’m excited to settle down and build a life here.

I'd say that's a good sign that he will be here for awhile, even if he does succeed.

Pitino was also at Florida when Oto was being recruited there, so perhaps he's just remembering the recruiting tapes way back when...before he turned into the player he is today (or lack-there-of)

I think we will see quite a bit more from all of the bench players next year. talk was one of the graduating seniors was pretty good at trash talking some of these guys. Think it got inside their heads at game time. Looking forward to seeing ALL of them play next year without that kind of behind the scenes whispering.

It's almost universally acknowledged by anyone involved with the team that Oto can shoot the ball well. I haven't heard a single report that even disputes this. This season, we're gonna find out if it the reason it wasn't translating on the court was a matter of coaching style not meshing, or if this kid just doesn't have it in regards to handling things when the lights come on, cause Pitino has now gone on record believing it's in him, so if he can't get it out of him, I don't know what to make of it.

That's kinda what I've read and heard. He just looks too scared when he's out there, especially when he shoots. He reminds a little of what Austin Hollins looked like as a freshman. I know Austin struggled the last half or so of the season with his shooting but at least he looks pretty confident most of the time. His freshman year was a different story. Hopefully Oto can get things changed around.

Here's one I liked:

Q When the Minnesota job first became a reality, as in it could happen, what was going through your head?
A My wife [Jill] and I would always joke, we’d sit in the house in Miami and say, “where are we going to raise Ava, our daughter?" I always said, "Jill, you will never be able to predict what’s next." Sure enough, the Minnesota opportunity comes up. It was a great opportunity in a special place with a special fan base and a great university with a great AD in Norwood Teague. When the opportunity came, I ran with it. … I think she’s excited now because we can have some stability. She’s excited about that. As an assistant coach, you never know where you might turn. At Florida International, it was great, they were great to us, but you never knew if an opportunity would present itself. She’s excited to establish a life here. I’m excited to settle down and build a life here.

I'd say that's a good sign that he will be here for awhile, even if he does succeed.

Bill Fitch was here 2 years. Lou Holtz was here 2 years. The landscape has changed. Richard Pitino is not going to have the kind of success that is going to bring Notre Dame or Duke or Kentucky banging on his door in 2 years. 5 minimum. But when the time comes, if he has that kind of success, he will move on. But if that happens it will be because he's leaving the program 200 percent better than it is today.

Top Bottom