"Something is going on" everywhere...

ShowinGoldyLove

Reaction score
I can't remember a time where there have been so many big name coaches being talked about for so many high-profile coaching positions in such a short time frame.

Just think, within the past 24 hours, these are the names being thrown around...Tubby Smith, John Calipari, Rick Pitino, Tom Izzo, Billy Donovan, Thad Matta, etc.

The coaching positions in question are supposedly at Arizona, Kentucky, Memphis, Virginia, Michigan State, Minnesota...this is crazy! I recognize that a lot of it is fueled hype; but where there's smoke there's fire. Just looking at the rumored $$$ that we are talking has never been seen in college basketball.

Now, I know why there are almost 1,200 people here on Gopherhole right now ;)

I can't remember a time where there have been so many big name coaches being talked about for so many high-profile coaching positions in such a short time frame.

Just think, within the past 24 hours, these are the names being thrown around...Tubby Smith, John Calipari, Rick Pitino, Tom Izzo, Billy Donovan, Thad Matta, etc.

The coaching positions in question are supposedly at Arizona, Kentucky, Memphis, Virginia, Michigan State, Minnesota...this is crazy! I recognize that a lot of it is fueled hype; but where there's smoke there's fire. Just looking at the rumored $$$ that we are talking has never been seen in college basketball.

Now, I know why there are almost 1,200 people here on Gopherhole right now ;)

Something going everywhere BUT INSIDE SOME PEOPLES' NOGGINS.

I'm 99% sure Tubby is staying, but the remaining 1% of me is obsessively reading every new post.

This reminds me of 2003 when both the UNC and UCLA jobs were vacant. Roy taking the UNC job meant Self to Kansas. 3 of the blue blood programs all got great new coaches within weeks of each other. This season seems to have more ripple effects because coaches are leaving higher profile jobs for new ones which means the carousel is continuous. In 2003, Illinois replaced Self with a mid-major coach and Pitt replaced Howland with Dixon who was already an assistant there.

Kentucky and Virginia have taken coaches from established programs. I don't know who WSU willl go after but early rumors have Memphis making a run at Missouri's Mike Anderson. If he takes that job- which might make more sense than it seems considering he's only making 800K at mizzou and his wife is from Memphis, that will leave another major conference job available. The dominoes from the firing of Billy G at Kentucky might be felt in every major conference as long as schools looking for new coaches keep hiring from major programs rather than from mid-majors or promoting assistants.

Top Bottom