Easier to succeed? Here or Virginia?

bga1

Reaction score
This is the part of this whole deal I am having trouble with. I think it's easier to succeed here. The differential between us and the top of the Big Ten is not that great at this point - thanks to Tubby. But the difference between Virginia and NC or Duke is huge. No question that the East Coast talent pool is better but I think it may be pretty hard for Tubby to keep his 20 win season streak alive at Virginia. Why toil for two years, as he has here, only to start from scratch again?

We'll see.

This is the part of this whole deal I am having trouble with. I think it's easier to succeed here. The differential between us and the top of the Big Ten is not that great at this point - thanks to Tubby. But the difference between Virginia and NC or Duke is huge. No question that the East Coast talent pool is better but I think it may be pretty hard for Tubby to keep his 20 win season streak alive at Virginia. Why toil for two years, as he has here, only to start from scratch again?

We'll see.

i think the answer to this is pretty clear. minnesota all the way. why at this point in his career tubby would want to subject himself to a permanent bottom dweller and/or middle-of-the-pack status by going to a school like virginia is beyond me and would surprise the heck out of me if he did.

Disagree

i think the answer to this is pretty clear. minnesota all the way. why at this point in his career tubby would want to subject himself to a permanent bottom dweller and/or middle-of-the-pack status by going to a school like virginia is beyond me and would surprise the heck out of me if he did.

I think Tubby can win anywhere. He can take either MN or VA on a deep run eventually, IMHO. You are right that he would have to replow that first two year period that he just completed here.

He would be leaving two excellent recruiting years and that doesnt make much sense.

Time will tell.

Historically, edge goes to Virginia

History seems to indicate Virginia.

UVa has 16 NCAA Tournament appearances with a 22-16 record & 2 Final Fours.

Minnesota has 10 NCAA appearances with a 12-10 record & 1 Final Four.

History seems to indicate Virginia.

UVa has 16 NCAA Tournament appearances with a 22-16 record & 2 Final Fours.

Minnesota has 10 NCAA appearances with a 12-10 record & 1 Final Four.

Not sure this is a fair question, but what happens to UVA's record if you eliminate Ralph sampson player of the year years? That one guy made a huge differnce for them, and while I'm not suggesting we ignore him, to the extent one player skews the result then the statistical data doesn't tell us much.

MN is far closer to winning then Virginia. Tubby has 2 years of work in the team and they are right at the point of turning the corner with better recruits coming in and the rest of the team maturing. Allen from the football team can be a 6th or 7th man off the bench.

Again, why would Tubby want to leave, especially when he is so close to proving he is one of the elite coaches in the nation at a school and in the state that loves and appreciated him and his work. He is well compensated and is probably a heartbeat away from getting his new practice facility in spite of the economy!

I think Minnesota is closer to winning then UVA. I have lived in Charlottesville for 5 years-born and raised in MN. Virginia loses alot of in-state recruits to other schools-i.e Ed Davis. UVA is attempting
to establish itself as one of the elite educational institutions in the country and has a reputation for
being a "small Ivey". Football and Basketball are both down and going through rebuilding and
the programs at the U seem to both be on the way up. Minnesota also has more to offer recruits in
the form on an urban setting. Charlottesville is actually smaller then St. Cloud and DC and Richmond
are two hour drives. I like the direction Minnesota is going.

Top Bottom