Calipari to Kentucky?

Reaction score
According to ESPN (just reported on Sportscenter) Cal has met with his players and they got the feeling he was goingto Kentucky calling it, "the Notre Dame of basketball". I agree Kentucky is like Notre Dame, a storied school on the decline.

You nailed that. The advantages of the elite sports programs are dwindling each year.

I don't care how much he's going to get - I wouldn't go there for 10 million a year. No freaking way.

I didn't think it was possible but if Calipari goes there, Kentucky will have to lower their admission standards even lower to accomodate the typical Calipari player. He and Bob Huggins have got to be the two sleaziest coaches around, has he ever had a player graduate?

Calipari is one of the few coaches that the UK fanbase will accpet as the new coach and give a fair chance of succesfully running that program. If he says no I dont think they have many other option that will please the fans.

I didn't think it was possible but if Calipari goes there, Kentucky will have to lower their admission standards even lower to accomodate the typical Calipari player. He and Bob Huggins have got to be the two sleaziest coaches around, has he ever had a player graduate?

Calipari has graduated 12 of 15 seniors in his time at Memphis.

Huggins graduated 36 players in 16 seasons at UC. And several at K-St (2007) plus more at WVU (2008).

Levertis Robinson
Keith Starks
Andre Tate – JuCo
Steve Sanders – football scholarship, basketball walk-on
(1989 recruit) BJ Ward – JuCo
(1989 transfer) Jeff Scott – Div I transfer
(1990 recruit) Curtis Bostic
(1990 transfer) Anthony Buford – Div I transfer
(1990 recruit) Mike Reicheneker – JuCo
(1991 recruit) Erik Martin – JuCo
(1991 recruit) Terry Nelson – JuCo
(1991 recruit) Corie Blount – JuCo
(1992 recruit) Keith Gregor
(1993 recruit) Jackson Julson
(1994 transfer) Keith LeGree – Div I transfer
Brent Petrus – football scholarship, basketball walk-on
(1995 recruit) Ryan Fletcher
(1995 recruit) Melvin Levett
(1995 recruit) Rod Monroe – JuCo
(1995 recruit) Terrence Davis – JuCo
(1997) Alex Meacham – walk-on
(1998 recruit) Donald Little
(1999 recruit) Lenny Stokes (2 degrees)
(2000 recruit) Field Williams
(2000 recruit) Rod Flowers
(2000) Rodney Crawford – JuCo walk-on, earned scholarship
(2001 recruit) Jason Maxiell
(2001 recruit) Taron Barker – JuCo
(2001 recruit) Jimmy Hubbard (2 degrees) – JuCo
(2001 recruit) Derek Hollman – JuCo
(2001) Jamaal Lucas – walk-on, earned scholarship
(2001) John Meeker – walk-on, earned scholarship

(2002 recruit) Eric Hicks – 2006
(2002 recruit) Chadd Moore – 2006
(2002 recruit) Armein Kirkland – 2006
(1996 recruit) D’Juan Baker – JuCo (2006)

It's definitely feasible that Calipari takes the Kentucky job. He's the kind of guy who loves media attention, as he has shown consistently while at Memphis. He's also a slick talker, which would help remedy some of the problems under Gillispie.

Of all the coaches out there, he's about the only one that really fits the bill imo. Pitino could handle it, as he showed when he was there, but has since moved on to Louisville. The only other name that fits that bill would be Billy Donovan, who effectively told Kentucky "no" for the second time in two years.

Would Worldwide Wes then direct recruits to Kentucky?

Calipari would be a home run hire for Kentucky. There's little question he'll win, and win big. However, my guess is the athletic compliance staff's job at UK would get a lot more difficult.

I love how Pitino wants Pelphrey or Ford at UK...of course he does. He doesn't want to have to recruit in-state against Cal and doesn't want to be the "other" coach in the state, which could happen.

Lots of egos...lots of egos.

Go Gophers!!

Calipari has graduated 12 of 15 seniors in his time at Memphis.

Huggins graduated 36 players in 16 seasons at UC. And several at K-St (2007) plus more at WVU (2008).

Slightly OT but I always laugh when I hear Huggy bear mentioned. My wife was a professor at UC when Huggins was still there. There was a basketball player who was not getting it done in her class. She offered him help in getting back on track. Unfortunately, this option also required him to take a little responsibility and do some actual work...oh, and come to class too. He chose to ignore the assistance she offered and she had to fail him. As soon as the grade posted Huggins was in her office demanding that she change the grade and pass the player. She explained why she wouldn't be doing that. Huggins got even pissier and went to her dept head and was overruled again. I'd heard the talk about his teams before, but to hear from someone who dealt with him firsthand...the guy is a ticking APR timebomb for any school that hires him.

Slightly OT but I always laugh when I hear Huggy bear mentioned. My wife was a professor at UC when Huggins was still there. There was a basketball player who was not getting it done in her class. She offered him help in getting back on track. Unfortunately, this option also required him to take a little responsibility and do some actual work...oh, and come to class too. He chose to ignore the assistance she offered and she had to fail him. As soon as the grade posted Huggins was in her office demanding that she change the grade and pass the player. She explained why she wouldn't be doing that. Huggins got even pissier and went to her dept head and was overruled again. I'd heard the talk about his teams before, but to hear from someone who dealt with him firsthand...the guy is a ticking APR timebomb for any school that hires him.

If you name the player, I'll tell you if he ultimately graduated or what happened to him.

Huggins graduated 4 players at K-St in 2007 and several more at WVU in 2008. A few more are graduating this spring at West Virginia.

If you'll do that, please.

What a bad idea for Calipari.

May I ask where the two places Calipari has been good at? UMASS and Memphis two schools where he had very little pressure because he was able to win. Now lets look at where he failed in a pressure filled job in the NBA. It will be interesting if he signs with Kentucky if he will be able to handle the pressure because being good at Kentucky only gets you fired.

May I ask where the two places Calipari has been good at? UMASS and Memphis two schools where he had very little pressure because he was able to win. Now lets look at where he failed in a pressure filled job in the NBA. It will be interesting if he signs with Kentucky if he will be able to handle the pressure because being good at Kentucky only gets you fired.

Pitino failed miserably in the NBA, too. But he did very well at Kentucky. So would / will Cailpari.

Calipari would be a home run hire for Kentucky. There's little question he'll win, and win big. However, my guess is the athletic compliance staff's job at UK would get a lot more difficult.

With their past infractions, wouldn't it be something if this is how it played out --- they run Tubby off, then fire BCG, then bring in Cal who leads the almighty Kentucky Wildcat program right into the death penalty.

Here was a nice article showing how much Huggins enforced academics in his programs. FOT must be a pretend friend to Huggins as well as Tubby they way he is trying to defend the guy.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/story/bob_huggins_just_win_baby

Wow! Calipari's contract is said to be 6 years for $40 million. A record $6.67 million per anum contract. That is ridiculous.

Here was a nice article showing how much Huggins enforced academics in his programs. FOT must be a pretend friend to Huggins as well as Tubby they way he is trying to defend the guy.

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/story/bob_huggins_just_win_baby

I listed 36 of his graduates. I mentioned several more at K-St and now at WVU.

Of course, you must already know that 92% of his Akron U and Walsh College players graduated from those respective schools.

I listed 36 of his graduates. I mentioned several more at K-St and now at WVU.

Of course, you must already know that 92% of his Akron U and Walsh College players graduated from those respective schools.

You do realize that the NCAA doesn't count it if a player graduates more than 6 years after starting. Also, I am sure you realize as well that this guy got a DUI with a recruit in the car with him and proceeded to play the "Do you know who I am?" card when pulled over. He is real winner.

I think Gillispie was and is still a good coach, just not a good fit for Kentucky and that is there fault. Gillispie never claimed to be a good PR guy, he just wants to coach and push his players hard. It worked well at Texas A&M and UTEP where there is not the PR demands. He is a loner it sounds like and it sounds as if it is strictly poor due diligence work on the part of Kentucky.

Not to get off topic here :p, but it's my understanding that this deal is about done. Should be an interesting situation once Calipari heads to Lexington. Seems the rivalry between Kentucky and Louisville is about to hit a fever pitch, especially with the type of personalities both Calipari and Pitino have.....

musical chairs

Not to get off topic here :p, but it's my understanding that this deal is about done. Should be an interesting situation once Calipari heads to Lexington. Seems the rivalry between Kentucky and Louisville is about to hit a fever pitch, especially with the type of personalities both Calipari and Pitino have.....

Watch Pitino run off to Arizona ! Then we have an opening at lvlle !

Watch Pitino run off to Arizona ! Then we have an opening at lvlle !

I had read somewhere that Pitino was a name being bandied about in Arizona, although I had actually heard that most folks down there are targeting either Mark Few or Jamie Dixon. Billy Gillispie will also factor into this mix somewhere, although as strange as it might sound, I could also see him heading to Memphis (how weird would that be?) But then again, who knows?? I think I might be on information overload for the day!!!!

First of all whats the over/under if Cal gets the Kentucky job on time till major NCAA infraction. Not found or reported but time to the infraction 3.5 years. Now to the time it is reported 5.5. I'll take the under on time till infraction and over on time it's reported. But I was a budding sports journalist and wanted to make it big I would buzz around that program until you find the big violation.

Anyway if anyone has the balls to take the Kentucky job it would be Cal. Most coaches wouldn't handle all the extra pressure to win well.

Also as I have said before if you are to see Mark Few from 'Zaga move now is the year. If he takes a major job it will be the Arizona job. Personally I don't see Jamie Dixon taking the Arizona job. I think he is at Pitt unless a "Blueblood" comes calling. I don't know if Billy G will get another major job this year. I wouldn't be suprized if he get the Texas Tech job when Pat Knight gets axed which will be a year or two.

As for the Wazzau program a name that many won't be thinking about but is a legit dark horse for the job is Dan Dacichk. He was the interm head coach at IU last year. Although he did quite poorly it wasn't really his fault. The team rebelled, Kelvin staid in contact with the team, most of the team was on drugs. If should get a fair shot at another major job and Wazzau would be a great place for him. Low expections but the biggest thing there is getting the most out of the least which I think he will be able to do.

Top Bottom