Shooter: UVa offers Tubby $3.2MM, a house and two cars!!!!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Shooter Now: Is Virginia wooing Gophers' Tubby Smith with $3.2 million per year?
By Charley Walters

Updated: 03/30/2009 12:07:57 PM CDT

There was some buzz today that Virginia, with assistance from boosters, might go as high as $3.2 million annually over seven years to lure Tubby Smith from the Gophers to coach its men's basketball team. The word is that the deal also includes complimentary use of a house and two cars.

But Smith is said to remain firm in his intent to remain at the University of Minnesota. So Virginia now is said to be targeting Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_12029828?nclick_check=1

Go Gophers!!

To me that sounds like he turned them down - or am I just reading something into nothing?

Wow...$3.2 mil over 7 years?!?!? If that's the offer, that would be pretty hard to turn down. That would make him the 2nd highest paid coach in NCAA basketball behind Billy D.

Wow...$3.2 mil over 7 years?!?!? If that's the offer, that would be pretty hard to turn down. That would make him the 2nd highest paid coach in NCAA basketball behind Billy D.

Well unless Kentucky gets Calipari...I want to see what they'd pay Cal to come to the Kentucky.

That is a one hell of deal! If Tubby were to take that I would be very happy for him and thank him for making the gophers relevant again. If he were to stay he would be treated like a god as if he isn't now. Lets hope he stays.

Yeah I have a feeling he's going to be paid an insane amount of money - Kentucky is desperate for him.

He is twice the coach Gillispie is so he might get $4 million (per). UK paid Gillispie $2.3 million (per) and owes him up to $6 million for buyout fees.

We can't and shouldn't match that.

He is twice the coach Gillispie is so he might get $4 million (per). UK paid Gillispie $2.3 million (per) and owes him up to $6 million for buyout fees.

Isn't Kentucky going to fight the buyout fee since Gillispie never signed his contract?

Just more proof that things are way out of whack if schools are willing to pay these kinds of amounts and fringe benefits. Yes, I realize that schools are relying on donors for most of the money but it makes no rational or moral sense, IMO.

(My frustration is exacerbated by having just monitored a full-day kindergarten class where there are 21 students, four of whom have significant learning/behavioral disabilities. The teacher is making less than $45k per year and having a profound influence on how well those 21 students are going to fare over the next 12 years.

These points have been made here and elsewhere before ... but nothing changes .....:()

Maybe the President will take over all colleges and universities and limit coach's pay to $500K per year. :)

Beej, the Pres is gonna limit you to two posts per day, anywhere. Cool.

Maybe the President will take over all colleges and universities and limit coach's pay to $500K per year. :)

When did Obama become part of this argument???!!!!:eek::eek:

My brain is now officially melting.......:cry:

Top Bottom