Do you think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruster

Reaction score
...Rodney Williams could play the 2 guard?

If he could, the line-up for next season would be looking really good.

PG - Westbrook / Nolen / Cobbs

SG - Williams / Hoffarber / Bostick / Joseph

SF - White / Johnson / Carter

PF - Mbakwe / Sampson

C - Iverson / Sampson

It looks like you have the "next year's recruit is better than this years player" syndrome that so many people have, especially on the football board.

Unless they get injured, Nolen and Johnson will likely start every game for the rest of their career and I just can't see Williams starting over Hoffarber.

But more than anything, what your list shows is how incredibly deep we'll be next year. You forgot Busch though who will get time no matter what, but it's hard to pin a position on him.

Here are my predictions:

PG - Nolen / Joseph / Cobbs

SG - Westbrook / Hoffarber / Bostick / Williams

SF - Johnson / Carter / White

PF - Mbakwe / Sampson

C - Iverson / Sampson

I think it will be tough for Rod to take a spot from Bostick or the Hoff, and there is no way a freshman Royce will play above senior captain DJ.

The problem with Hoffarber is that he can't create his own shot that all (excluding game winning shots =] ). All he really does is catch and shoot.

Williams is also is very quick and a great defender, something the Gophers could always use.

The problem with Hoffarber is that he can't create his own shot that all (excluding game winning shots =] ). All he really does is catch and shoot.

Westbrook is definitely more of a shooting guard. Nolen and Joseph are really the only ones that run the offense.

Here are my predictions:

SG - Westbrook / Hoffarber / Bostick / Williams

PF - Mbakwe / Sampson

C - Iverson / Sampson

I think it will be tough for Rod to take a spot from Bostick or the Hoff, and there is no way a freshman Royce will play above senior captain DJ.

There is no way royce will be third in line at small forward...he's going to be our go to guy from day one. I do agree that rodney won't be ready to start right away though, but he will get some time.

Here are my starters and rotations:
Starters: Nolen (PG), Westbrook (SG), Johnson (SF), Mbakwe (PF), Iverson (C);
Rotation (in typical order of appearance): Carter (PF), Hoffarber (SG), Bostick (SF), Sampson (C), Joseph (PG), Busch (C), White (PF), Williams (SG), Payton (SF), Cobbs (PG).

I hate to see Busch so far up the ladder but Tubby has been playing him a lot and it seems to me that he plays upper classmen early on in games. White and Williams will end up getting about twice as much time later in the year after they prove themselves competent with the ball-line defense.

SG - Westbrook / Hoffarber / Williams / White

PF - Mbakwe / Sampson

C - Iverson / Sampson

Busch

It looks like you have the "next year's recruit is better than this years player" syndrome that so many people have, especially on the football board.

Unless they get injured, Nolen and Johnson will likely start every game for the rest of their career and I just can't see Williams starting over Hoffarber.

But more than anything, what your list shows is how incredibly deep we'll be next year. You forgot Busch though who will get time no matter what, but it's hard to pin a position on him.

Busch will get time? With all the star power on the team?

Not a good sign, if you are referring to much "time" at all.

If there's one thing I think we can all agree on, our team next year should be incredible no matter who starts/rotates. Call me crazy but I don't think a BT title is out of the question next year.

There is no way royce will be third in line at small forward...he's going to be our go to guy from day one. I do agree that rodney won't be ready to start right away though, but he will get some time.

Mark my words on this one, royce will not play above **SENIOR CAPTAIN** DJ (not to say that bc he will be captain he will be the all-time starter, but he will be captain for a reason). If Paul's injury isn't serious (I don't think it's more than a month), he will play before Royce, based purely on his collegiate experience and his year of experience working under Tubby's tutelage and system. Let us not forget that talent level has no effect on playing time under Tubby, hard work and proven experience get you your pt. Royce will be a Gopher Great, but it will take more than a rookie season for him to land in the starting rotation, in my opinion.

Williams is also is very quick and a great defender, something the Gophers could always use.

BH ---- does much more that catch and shoot. Did you see the great assist/pass to Jamal at the opening of the NDSU game? He's a clutch passer along with being a solid rebounder for his size.

Blake Hoffarber this year is not the Hoffarber of this year. That being said, Wesbrook still has a better all around game, but it is close.

Blake Hoffarber this year is not the Hoffarber of this year. That being said, Wesbrook still has a better all around game, but it is close.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how does that make sense? Unless you mean that he is not yet who he will become... :p

BH ---- does much more that catch and shoot. Did you see the great assist/pass to Jamal at the opening of the NDSU game? He's a clutch passer along with being a solid rebounder for his size.

I think bruster was making a funny, or at least I hope he was. Hoff has always been criticized for only being a "catch and shoot guy." Now that his game has expanded/is being shown it's funny to think back on thoughts like that. Although his 3pt % is down a little, Blake is playing great this season, in so many different areas.

What about Carter or White playing at the 4 spot, in a smaller lineup. Haven't we already seen that some this year? What's nice about our team is we have a lot of athletes that can be fluid in the lineup.

You see, I invented this time machine....or I shouldn't try to type, think, and eat lunch all at the same time.

Regardless of who starts net year... it will be a very exciting year.

What about Carter or White playing at the 4 spot, in a smaller lineup. Haven't we already seen that some this year? What's nice about our team is we have a lot of athletes that can be fluid in the lineup.

Somebody--maybe White, maybe Carter, maybe DJ, will be spending time at PF. It will be Mbwake's first yr in Big TEn, and COlt/RSIII will only be sophomores. Given foul trouble and inexperience, those three are nowhere near enough to man 2 positions for an entire season.

I agree. Before the season started people were sure Joseph would quickly replace Nolen and Bostick would have Hoffarber and Shamala riding the pines. It hasn't happened yet.

White = 3 or 4, Williams = 3 not 2

Thank you for someone finally realizing this. If you have never seen Royce White play he is more in the 3 or 4 mold. The guy will definitely get playing time at the 4.

Williams is not a 2. He is definitely a 3. He does not have the jump shot to play the 2.

How is it that one poster start with a question of whether a guy can play the 2 and from there on out the guy is a 2 on everyone's depth chart?

PG - Westbrook / Nolen / Cobbs

Barring injury or some other unforeseen circumstance, there is a ZERO percent chance that Lawrence Westbrook starts at point guard over Al Nolen next year.

Pretty obvious by Al's play tonight that he should be the second string PG...

Next year's lineup

PG- Nolen / Joseph / Cobb

SG- Hoffarber / Westbrook / Bostick / Joseph

SF- Westbrook / White / Carter / Williams / Busch

PF- Johnson / White / Mbawke / Busch

C- Iverson / Sampson

I put guys in multiple spots to demonstrate the versatility of some of them. Iverson will play the 5 when he is in there. Sampson will be 5 unless Iverson is in and then he'll play 4. Johnson and White can both play the 3 and the 4 and their position will depend on the lineup; I don't like Johnson at the 3 because he is not a threat from 3 point range. Mbawke will be a 4. Westbrook can play the 2 or the 3, with Hoffarber in the lineup Westbrook will play more of a 3 like he is now. Carter will for the most part be a 3 but he can play the 2 also and if he is in when Westbrook/Hoffarber/Bostick is in he'll play the 3 and White/Johnson/Mbawke/Sampson would be at 4. Williams is a slasher and will have the best ups on the team, he looks like a 3 to me and I don't thnk he has the jump shot right now to play the 2.

This is going to be a team that can go at least 10 deep which is great. We could probably turn the defensive pressure up and press all game if we wanted. Against a team like Wisconsin that wants to slow it down that may be what we need to do to get the game at our tempo.

I'm looking forward to the rest of this year but I'm really smiling thinking about what can happen over the next few years.

Pretty obvious by Al's play tonight that he should be the second string PG...

Did you watch the same game that I did? Al had 5 steals and he was on the bench with his 3rd foul when Virginia pulled the game within 4. Tubby subbed Al back in and we responded by going on a 5 point run on a Hoffarber 3/Al Nolen assist and a steal converted to 2 points.

If you are expecting a shoot first PG he is not your man. But it was completely obvious that he created the defensive intensity and controlled the offense when he was on the floor. The Gophers are much better when Al is the PG than when anyone else is playing PG. When Al wasn't on the floor the Gophers had no tempo to the offense, the shot selection was horrid, and the defensive lacked intensity.

I'll go as far as saying I don't think we would have won that game without Al Nolen in the line up.

Next year's lineup

PG- Nolen / Joseph / Cobb

SG- Hoffarber / Westbrook / Bostick / Joseph

SF- Westbrook / White / Carter / Williams / Busch

PF- Johnson / White / Mbawke / Busch

C- Iverson / Sampson

I put guys in multiple spots to demonstrate the versatility of some of them. Iverson will play the 5 when he is in there. Sampson will be 5 unless Iverson is in and then he'll play 4. Johnson and White can both play the 3 and the 4 and their position will depend on the lineup; I don't like Johnson at the 3 because he is not a threat from 3 point range. Mbawke will be a 4. Westbrook can play the 2 or the 3, with Hoffarber in the lineup Westbrook will play more of a 3 like he is now. Carter will for the most part be a 3 but he can play the 2 also and if he is in when Westbrook/Hoffarber/Bostick is in he'll play the 3 and White/Johnson/Mbawke/Sampson would be at 4. Williams is a slasher and will have the best ups on the team, he looks like a 3 to me and I don't thnk he has the jump shot right now to play the 2.

This is going to be a team that can go at least 10 deep which is great. We could probably turn the defensive pressure up and press all game if we wanted. Against a team like Wisconsin that wants to slow it down that may be what we need to do to get the game at our tempo.

I'm looking forward to the rest of this year but I'm really smiling thinking about what can happen over the next few years.

I'd think that at least one of Rodney, Royce, and Mbakwe will start next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom