Tubby speaks...

tjgopher

Reaction score
From Myron's article on line. Myron asks Tubby whether he can guarantee Gopher fans he'll be here next season. His response:

"I never say never, but I'm here. I'm happy where we are. 'Cause once you say [never], something happens, then everybody's going to jump on you like you're some demon or something. So I just say, at this time, I'm very happy here."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/42107677.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Myron later speculates that he thinks Tubby will be here next season. I must say, however, that Tubby has indeed back-pedaled some from his comments a week ago with Sid and Dave when he said he "planned to be here for a long, long time." Now, it is simply "at this time, I'm very happy here." Not sure what to make of it.

From Myron's article on line. Myron asks Tubby whether he can guarantee Gopher fans he'll be here next season. His response:

"I never say never, but I'm here. I'm happy where we are. 'Cause once you say [never], something happens, then everybody's going to jump on you like you're some demon or something. So I just say, at this time, I'm very happy here."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/42107677.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Myron later speculates that he thinks Tubby will be here next season. I must say, however, that Tubby has indeed back-pedaled some from his comments a week ago with Sid and Dave when he said he "planned to be here for a long, long time." Now, it is simply "at this time, I'm very happy here." Not sure what to make of it.

Almost a carbon copy of what Tom Izzo said this weekend.

I think Izzo will be at Mich St and Tubby at The U next season.

Almost a carbon copy of what Tom Izzo said this weekend.

I also think Tubby will be at the U next year, but the chances of Izzo bolting are far less than Tubby IMO.

You "think" Tubby will be at the U next season? You've basically been guaranteeing it for a month. Now, you only "think" he'll be back? Are you hearing something that has you wavering or are you as strong tonight as you were just about 24 hours ago when you posted this about Tubby's chances of going to Virginia:

Not. Going. To. Happen.

This is getting way ahead of ourselves, but if - IF - OTS leaves the U after only two seasons to go to Virginia, of all places... All I could say is that he was never truly here at heart. Or - the other possibility is that he was here, but key members of his family weren't.

Again, getting way ahead of ourselves, but I too am not encouraged by Smith's quote. Geez, if Virginia is a threat, we're in perpetual flight watch here. Maybe we should make him post bail or something.

seriously, you people are too funny! i really think you need to quit worrying about every little quote you read. why can't you just see this stuff for what it really is. which is that tubby (smartly in my opinion) is simply maintaining the leverage he has right now with pres. bruininks and a.d. joel maturi to make sure the "new basketball practice facility, et. al train" continues to move forward at an accelerated pace out of the station. even though i am not a myron fan in the least, i think he has it right here in that tubby will be with minnesota next year (and in my personal opinion well after that).

he said last week on sid and dave's show that he intends to be at minnesota for a very, very long time. i personally don't believe tubby is the type of guy at this point in his career - with the type of personal respect he has garnered around the country from almost everyone in the basketball industry - who would say something like that publicly on a widely syndicated minneapolis radio show and then one week later throw all that respect right out the window and do a complete 180 degree turn. if he wasn't intending to stay i honestly don't believe he even makes such a bold quote to sid and dave on their radio show rather he would have used much more non-commital language from the "get-go" and he didn't do that.

He didn't really say anything different then before, but this was also the first time he was pressed to commit to something definate next year. You can't call it positive that he turned down an opportunity to squash it completly, but the UVA folks taking it as 'we got him' (which they are already doing) is putting the cart way before the house too. I also leave a certain margin of error for anything written by Myron.

BadGopher, you do have a point about this perpetual threat of Tubby leaving growing tiresome, and at some point it would effect recruiting. I'm of two minds. On the one hand, we have his replacment waiting in the wings for about as smooth a transition as you could have, and he may not be available a year or two years from now. On the other hand, UVA and Arizona represent the two types of jobs Tubby could be lured away by, going 'home' or going back to a 'better job' at Arizona. If he declines to do so this year, the threat may largely subside in the future. The one job that would always make me nervous is Maryland. I think that is his true 'going home' job. And while Gary Williams certainly bought himself another year, he hardly cemented himself beyond that.

...the UVA folks taking it as 'we got him' (which they are already doing) is putting the cart way before the house too.
Oh that gave me a pretty good laugh...I think you mean cart before the horse?

Just picturing a cart sitting in front of a running house :p

Oh that gave me a pretty good laugh...I think you mean cart before the horse?

Just picturing a cart sitting in front of a running house :p

You're right I meant horse of course. But somehow it fits.

Meh...I've seen a cart before the house; it's not nearly as funny as one would think:

498410866_a15013a9fc.jpg

So FOT Owes You an Explanation?

You "think" Tubby will be at the U next season? You've basically been guaranteeing it for a month. Now, you only "think" he'll be back? Are you hearing something that has you wavering or are you as strong tonight as you were just about 24 hours ago when you posted this about Tubby's chances of going to Virginia:

Not. Going. To. Happen.

So FOT uses the word "think" in regard to Izzo and Smith staying at their respective schools and he somehow violates some kind of solemn oath and owes you an explanation? Why do you care? You seem to have all the answers anyway. Ridiculous.:rockon:

So FOT uses the word "think" in regard to Izzo and Smith staying at their respective schools and he somehow violates some kind of solemn oath and owes you an explanation? Why do you care? You seem to have all the answers anyway. Ridiculous.:rockon:

I was simply pointing out that FOT - who I have a great deal of respect for and have defended on many occasions on the board - has basically told us not to worry. He has said Tubby loves it here and won't leave. Many, many times he's told us that.

Now, tonight, he posted that he "thinks" Tubby will be here. So, I am simply curious if he has heard anything. So, I'm simply asking. I don't feel like he owes me or anyone anything.

And, I can assure you I don't have all the answers. Jeez.

He isnt going to Virginia, you can put that to rest, if Calipari goes to UK then we are safe because memphis would go for Xaviers guy and not Tubby, but if Matta goes, then Tubby is obviously going to Ohio State, isnt it obvious? He is waiting to see what happens with the UK job.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Exactly.

He isnt going to Virginia, you can put that to rest, if Calipari goes to UK then we are safe because memphis would go for Xaviers guy and not Tubby, but if Matta goes, then Tubby is obviously going to Ohio State, isnt it obvious? He is waiting to see what happens with the UK job.

Tubby will NOT be going to Ohio St. Now, next year, or ever.

Except to play a Big 10 game every year.

It appears that Tubby has a good window of opportunity to improve the potential for Gopher Hoops. I think if Maturi can come up with a raise (whether effective now or next year) and firm plans for the practice facility, he will stay. If Maturi cannot deliver that (wouldn't fault maturi) then all bets are off and Tubby could go. That said, I doubt Tubby wants to start over again.

Rouser

It appears that Tubby has a good window of opportunity to improve the potential for Gopher Hoops. I think if Maturi can come up with a raise (whether effective now or next year) and firm plans for the practice facility, he will stay. If Maturi cannot deliver that (wouldn't fault maturi) then all bets are off and Tubby could go. That said, I doubt Tubby wants to start over again.

I tend to agree. Tubby has played his cards like a pro. He can get anything he wants from Maturi at this point. UV may have its upsides for Tubby and his family but he would be giving up everything he has worked for here; two outstanding recruiting years. This team is ready to move upwards. If he were to go to UV he would have to rework that same ground.

Who knows? Only Tubby and Donna know. I have to think Tubby wont let this linger to much longer, if only for the peace of mind of his players and recruits.

I still bet he stays and for that he will get :clap: :clap: :clap:

I don't like this at all. I understand the whole "never say never" philosophy, because personally, I kind of have the same philosophy. But to be honest, he's making it sound like he's settling for us. I don't like it when coaches hold mindsets along the lines of "well, I like it here. Just not as much as anywhere else for the right price."

Maybe he is just using it as a bargaining chip. Maybe it will work out in the end. But if he wants to "duck out in the night" all the while acting like he is sincere with recruits and making these public appearances while "never saying never" just so he can cover his hind end when he leaves, then he should just say "I'm on the market and this is how it is." Either way, he's playing us and I don't like it at all.

In other words, he's being honest, but not really being honest all at the same time. At this point, wouldn't be surprised if he went to the highest bidder. Thought he was committed, but I guess it does come down to everybody having a price. :mad:

Unless we want another Monson in charge...we will have to accept this type of drama. Folks..its a good problem.

Unless we want another Monson in charge...we will have to accept this type of drama. Folks..its a good problem.

You may well be correct in that assessment. But my point is this: I don't like being used as a bargaining chip under any circumstance, whether it be with coaches or otherwise. This is why I have been so critical of professional sports franchises over the years. It's just a personal view of mine, that's all.

To me, it smacks of insincerity and personally, I have better things to do then to be led on by coaches, players or whole organizations (such as what the Twins and Vikings have tried to pull in recent years). If you want to go, then go. But don't try to cover your butt just so you can feel good about yourself in the end.

After reading that

I certainly hope that Maturi has Flip on speed dial.

I don't like that quote at all.

This is what we will see with a high profile coach like Tubby on board. I would guess that Tubby wants to be in a place where he can make a run at another NCAA title. Who can blame him for that? That is a tough gig to pull off in Minnesota compared to a place that has a perriennal(sp) top 10-15 program.

But maybe Tubby is content with building what he can at Minnesota and not be on the hot seat again. Only he knows that.

This is what we will see with a high profile coach like Tubby on board. I would guess that Tubby wants to be in a place where he can make a run at another NCAA title. Who can blame him for that? That is a tough gig to pull off in Minnesota compared to a place that has a perriennal(sp) top 10-15 program.

But maybe Tubby is content with building what he can at Minnesota and not be on the hot seat again. Only he knows that.

I agree with a lot of this, but highly doubt Virginia is a place that gives him any more of a chance to win an NCAA title, especially with Duke and North Carolina hanging around. Like you said, there are several questions that can be answered with the word "maybe" in this case. Just the way things like this roll...:eek:

Virginia hasn't been a top 10-15 program in years.

Never say never could be Flip goes to Tubby and begs for the job? :)

seriously, you people are too funny! i really think you need to quit worrying about every little quote you read. why can't you just see this stuff for what it really is. which is that tubby (smartly in my opinion) is simply maintaining the leverage he has right now with pres. bruininks and a.d. joel maturi to make sure the "new basketball practice facility, et. al train" continues to move forward at an accelerated pace out of the station. even though i am not a myron fan in the least, i think he has it right here in that tubby will be with minnesota next year (and in my personal opinion well after that).

he said last week on sid and dave's show that he intends to be at minnesota for a very, very long time. i personally don't believe tubby is the type of guy at this point in his career - with the type of personal respect he has garnered around the country from almost everyone in the basketball industry - who would say something like that publicly on a widely syndicated minneapolis radio show and then one week later throw all that respect right out the window and do a complete 180 degree turn. if he wasn't intending to stay i honestly don't believe he even makes such a bold quote to sid and dave on their radio show rather he would have used much more non-commital language from the "get-go" and he didn't do that.

Nicely put. I think you hit the nail on the head. He wants to maintain leverage and I think that when he said he will be here for a long time that he might have felt oops I gave to much away. He wants that practice facility really bad. I don't think we will stop hearing rumors until we break ground on that. I for one really appreciate the foundation he is laying here at MN for a future program that will be good for a long time. He is establishing us as a name program by winning each year then he gets us a first class practice facility. Both of these things will put us on solid footing for a very long time. The longer he stays the better our chances of hiring a name coach when he does retire or leave.

All I can say is that we better hope he doesn't leave. He leaves, this program folds up like a wet paper sack. All these great recruits will suddenly want out, the top 20 classes turn back into top 100 classes and we are sitting around hoping and praying every year that we MAY have a chance to be on the bubble at the end of the year.
With Tubby and the guys he has coming in + the possibility of more top players in coming years ready to be gophers, this program has a chance to be a top flight BT program and a National contender. Without Tub though, I fear we go back to the bad old days.

All I can say is that we better hope he doesn't leave. He leaves, this program folds up like a wet paper sack. All these great recruits will suddenly want out, the top 20 classes turn back into top 100 classes and we are sitting around hoping and praying every year that we MAY have a chance to be on the bubble at the end of the year.
With Tubby and the guys he has coming in + the possibility of more top players in coming years ready to be gophers, this program has a chance to be a top flight BT program and a National contender. Without Tub though, I fear we go back to the bad old days.

Umm...take a step back. Tubby leaving doesn't signal the end of anything other of his time as Minnesota coach. If another high profile name (eg..Flip Saunders) becomes coach, I don't know how much things will change in terms of talent. If you're convinced that Tubby is our only chance, then you better find another team to root for because got news for you, there are a lot of other good basketball coaches out there.

Don't be so fatalistic. Just let the process play out and see where the chips fall.

Top Bottom