ACC BIG TEN CHALLENGE: Predictions

Tater

f.k.a. "Tubtastic"
Reaction score
Here's a nice concise preview (minus yesterday's game) with a 7-4 ACC win predicted:

HTML:
http://collegehoopsnet.com/acc-big-ten-challenge-2008-preview-157012

Dec 1:
Wisconsin (6-1) at Virginia Tech (4-3) (Wisconsin won 74-72)

Dec 2:
No. 5 Duke (7-0) at No. 9 Purdue (5-1)
Clemson (7-0) at Illinois (6-0)
Ohio State (3-0) at No. 24 (Miami (4-1)
Viginia (3-2) at Minnesota (6-0)
Iowa (6-1) at Boston College (4-2)

Dec 3:
No. 1 North Carolina (6-0) vs. No. 6 Michigan State (3-1) (Ford Field, Detroit, Michigan)
Indiana (3-2) at No. 24 Wake Forest (5-0)
Michigan (5-1) at Maryland (4-1)
Florida State (7-0) at Northwestern (3-1)
Penn State (6-1) at Georgia Tech (4-0)

What's your prediction? Big Ten wins?

7-4 ACC

Purdue over Duke
Gophers over Virginia
Michigan over Maryland

Clemson over Illinois
Miami over Ohio State
Boston College over Iowa
North Carolina over Michigan State
Wake Forest over Indiana
Florida State over Northwestern
Georgia Tech over Penn State

My predictions:
6-5 Big Ten Wins

Dec 1:
Wisconsin (6-1) at Virginia Tech (4-3) - WISCONSIN

Dec 2:
No. 5 Duke (7-0) at No. 9 Purdue (5-1) - DUKE
Clemson (7-0) at Illinois (6-0) - ILLINOIS
Ohio State (3-0) at No. 24 (Miami (4-1) - OSU
Viginia (3-2) at Minnesota (6-0) - MINNESOTA
Iowa (6-1) at Boston College (4-2) - IOWA

Dec 3:
No. 1 North Carolina (6-0) vs. No. 6 Michigan State (3-1) (Ford Field, Detroit, Michigan) - NC
Indiana (3-2) at No. 24 Wake Forest (5-0) - WAKE FOREST
Michigan (5-1) at Maryland (4-1) - MICHIGAN
Florida State (7-0) at Northwestern (3-1) - NORTHWESTERN
Penn State (6-1) at Georgia Tech (4-0) - GEORGIA TECH

I think we are going to have to sweep the December 2nd games to have a shot at winning it this season. Dec. 3rd games might all go to ACC. Maybe Northwestern could know off FSU at home but that is a big if.

My predictions-
Wisky over Vtech (I know I got this one right)
Tonight-
Purdue over Duke (will be the best game of the challenge)
Gophers over Virginia
BC over Iowa
Miami over OSU
Illinois over Clemson
Tomorrow-
UNC over MSU
Wake over Indy
Maryland over Michigan
FSU over NU
GT over PSU

I believe I got it at 7-4 for the ACC.

This might be the key to the Gophers or a different sixth or even fifth place Big Ten team making the big dance. Michigan and Northwestern (or some other upstart big ten team(s)) might have to show up for the Big Ten to get some respect. I think the league is going to beat itself up quite a bit this year which makes winning the ACC/Big Ten challenge that much more important.

I think we are going to have to sweep the December 2nd games to have a shot at winning it this season. Dec. 3rd games might all go to ACC. Maybe Northwestern could know off FSU at home but that is a big if.

If there is any team that could "know off" another team - that would be Northwestern. I'd sya they would have to be as "knowing" as any team in major college buckets. :)

After watching BC play with Purdue for most of the game in the NIT, I don't see how anyone - even a Hawkeye fan - can pick Iowa to beat them on the road. I hope so, but I don't think it is very likely.

Wait til next year!

Or maybe two years down the road, then the Big Ten will be able to match up. Here's how I see it:

Big 10
Wisky
Minnesota
Purdue
Illinois

ACC
UNC
Wake
Maryland
Florida State
Miami
B.C.
Tech

That adds up to ACC 7, Big Ten 4, like many others have on here. I do think that Penn State has a good shot at defeating Tech and Iowa could take down B.C. I don't hold out much hope for Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio State, or Michigan.

Here's what I posted on the 26th. I'll stand by those predictions (since I don't know any more now than I did then.)

Ok, here's my mostly ignorant predictions (next to Hodger's)

Clemson at Illinois -- slight edge Illini. HOme court gives it to Il
Duke at Purdue -- toss-up. Home court gives it to Purdue
Florida State at Northwestern -- toss-up. HOme court gives it to NW
Indiana at Wake Forest -- probably a Demon Deacons rout. Agree
Iowa at Boston College -- toss-up. IA doesn't have much--Tucker will be better guarded. BC going away.
Michigan at Maryland -- toss-up. HOme court gives it to MD
Michigan State vs. North Carolina -- toss-up (it's in Detroit, no Zeller, Hansbrough?). Detroit, but not at home. even without those two, just too much talent on NC.
Ohio State at Miami -- toss-up. HOme court not enough--OSU wins.
Penn State at Georgia Tech -- slight edge Ramblin' Wreck. Agree
Virginia at Gophers -- toss-up. Gophers a bit better team, and at home.
Wisconsin at Virginia Tech -- toss-up. HOme court not enough to compensate for Wiscy's better team.

Makes it 6-5 Big Ten.

My predictions:
6-5 Big Ten Wins

Dec 1:
Wisconsin (6-1) at Virginia Tech (4-3) - WISCONSIN

Dec 2:
No. 5 Duke (7-0) at No. 9 Purdue (5-1) - DUKE
Clemson (7-0) at Illinois (6-0) - ILLINOIS
Ohio State (3-0) at No. 24 (Miami (4-1) - OSU
Viginia (3-2) at Minnesota (6-0) - MINNESOTA
Iowa (6-1) at Boston College (4-2) - IOWA

Dec 3:
No. 1 North Carolina (6-0) vs. No. 6 Michigan State (3-1) (Ford Field, Detroit, Michigan) - NC
Indiana (3-2) at No. 24 Wake Forest (5-0) - WAKE FOREST
Michigan (5-1) at Maryland (4-1) - MICHIGAN
Florida State (7-0) at Northwestern (3-1) - NORTHWESTERN
Penn State (6-1) at Georgia Tech (4-0) - GEORGIA TECH

Actually, that's 7-4 Big Ten, unless you mistyped one of your winners. that means your glasses are even more rose-colored than mine. :)

All I care is.....GOPHERS SNOOSE VIRGINIA. The rest I will be interested in. Let the games begin. ESPN has the Gophers on, so I will watch and root for Tubby's Monsters. Ralph III will be an animal. Colton will be devastating. Nolen will be neurotic, and drive the Cavs nuts. Blake will blast 'em. Abu-S will be awesome. Overall, the Gophers will wake up the nation and keep on winning. GO GOPHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duke is now 10-0 in the challenge. Not sure why the majority of your would think they would lose. That game was never close.

ya purdue got worked over pretty well tonight. we came out shoting ice cold. missed about 3 lay-up in a row to start the game. not badly but just bounced off the rim. offence never recovered did not shoot well at all alot of credit to duke for that. they played great d. duke also shot the lights out of the place, particully early, they easied up towards the end. as late as 8 mins to go i the second have they were shotting closer to .600 than .500 i believe. then we were out rebounded by like 20. that all adds up to a duke w.

Duke also did a great job of keeping the crowd out of it. when purdue ran out of the tunnel it was so loud my ears were hurting and couldn't even hear myself. but after that every time we would see a chance to grab to mometium duke hit a 3 and that was that. overall the better team won tonight. we have a lot of things to work on before we even start thinking of a B10 championship.

Top Bottom