Former Gopher Assistant is Let Go

DL65

Reaction score
In yesterday's Des Moines Register, there was a story about a coaching shakeup in the Iowa State University football program. One casualty was quarterback coach Tony Petersen. Petersen was quarterback coach and passing coordinator under Glen Mason. If I remember correctly, he also was co-offensive coordinator with Mitch Browning for a period of time. Petersen was the first of Mason's assistants to land another coaching position, after Mason and his staff were terminated.

Late November and December can be a trying time for assistant coaches and their families, as head coaches are fired or when they make personnel adjustments ("new directions") in their staffs. The old coaching adage seems prophetic: "Coaches are hired to be fired." Uncertainty during the Christmas Season, to be sure.

Go Gophers!!

I usually don't watch Ketchup & Mustard play, but did they experience a large % growth of 10-15 yard jumpball passes in the last 2 years? That seems to be the passing game I remember under Mason.

Peterson actually called the plays while he was here working for Mason. Browning was offensive coordinator, but Peterson called the plays.

Top Bottom