Hopkins Vs Osseo

oldlodgeskins

Reaction score
I plan to watch the game tonight, but haven't followed these teams this year. Besides Royce White, who are the other Division I recruits to watch for? And what schools are they going to?

Thanks

D-I Recruits (so far)

Hopkins:

Royce White - Minnesota

Raymond Cowles - Santa Clara

Trent Lockett - Arizona State

Mike Broghammer - Notre Dame

(There will probably be others on this roster as well...)

Osseo

Sam Dower - Gonzaga

Fans who can't watch the game can also listen online tonight at: www.MnSportsNetwork.com

I'tll be good timing with the Pitt-Nova game ending close to 8PM ... It's hard to watch the high school games after watching the production quality of the NCAA's ... Also, what's up with the 'no crowds-no seating' under the baskets at the Target Center? It just looks stange.

Go Hopkins!

Osseo was our arch hated rival in high school - they must never win anything EVER!

Put me in the category of WTF is the MSHL thinking in their setup for Target Center. They are playing an a basketball arena, configured like a hockey arena.

It must be part of the 'Patriot Act' ... The MSHL is out of control IMO ...

Put me in the category of WTF is the MSHL thinking in their setup for Target Center. They are playing an a basketball arena, configured like a hockey arena.

The championship games should be played at Williams - to keep the tradition alive. Target Center really sucks...

I must say, I've been impressed with a lot of what I've seen from Royce in the first half. I think he is rushing way too much on the offensive side, but it seems like a lot of his teammates were doing the same thing.

But he gets up in the air pretty well, knows how to post up on the block and can really finish near the rim. He was in too much of a hurry on his free throws for my taste and needs to work on that imo. But he certainly has the build of a Big Ten forward right now. He had his way with Dower on more than one occasion in the half, who really needs to bulk up.

It also seemed that Hopkins really tried to get Royce involved on offense in the early going, maybe trying to settle the nerves a bit. Lockett also looks like a very nice prospect. Didn't score much, but can really handle the ball....

As for the game itself, Osseo came out on fire, especially from long range.

Should be an interesting second half.....

What's scary is that this is the worst I've seen Hopkins play all year, and they're up by 4 at half.

That was the first time I've seen Royce play, and I think he'll for sure make an impact next year.

Now, can someone explain to me why an AAU team was allowed to play Osseo tonight in the State Championship?

That was the first time I've seen Royce play, and I think he'll for sure make an impact next year.

Now, can someone explain to me why an AAU team was allowed to play Osseo tonight in the State Championship?

You would've hated the Illinois class 4 semi when Thornton and their 6 or 7 D1 guys lost to Whitney Young and their 7 D1 guys who was bringing Oregon St and Purdue (I think) signees off the bench.

You would've hated the Illinois class 4 semi when Thornton and their 6 or 7 D1 guys lost to Whitney Young and their 7 D1 guys who was bringing Oregon St and Purdue (I think) signees off the bench.

Yes, Anthony Johnson is a Purdue recruit for 2010. Not signed yet, though.

TubbyTime2009 said:
Come on now, we've already had a whole 3 page thread on that topic, and it was beaten to death. You could ask the same thing about Washburn who just won it in 3A with 3 transfers or Osseo with a former Hopkins player and a couple other transfers. It's just not worth it bringing it up again.

Congrats to the Royals; and actually kudos to Osseo too, as they put up a good fight. That lefty was bombing 3's from everywhere.

Official box score tallly has......

20 for Royce, with 7 rebounds. Dower had 15 pts. 16 rbs. 4 blks.

Come on now, we've already had a whole 3 page thread on that topic, and it was beaten to death. You could ask the same thing about Washburn who just won it in 3A with 3 transfers or Osseo with a former Hopkins player and a couple other transfers. It's just not worth it bringing it up again.

Congrats to the Royals; and actually kudos to Osseo too, as they put up a good fight. That lefty was bombing 3's from everywhere.

The kid on Osseo who "transferred" from Hopkins lives in Osseo, so please stop using that as an excuse. Hopkins is a glorified AAU team.

They also brought great national exposure to Minnesota. Every decent basketball state has basketball schools.

The kid on Osseo who "transferred" from Hopkins lives in Osseo, so please stop using that as an excuse. Hopkins is a glorified AAU team.

I like how you ignored my post. What would you call Whitney Young then? They're a public school with open enrollment on the West side of Chicago yet Micheal Jordan's son who lives on the Gold Coast plays there even though he lives closer to about 20 high schools.

Save your 'glorified AAU' comments because there are literally hundreds of high schools nationwide with good teams made up of players from other areas. If my son has a lot of talent when he reaches high school I'd much rather him go to a place like Hopkins where he can maximize his potential and have a shot at a scholarship than go to a school with a poor program. That is even more true with football. There are a lot of bad coaches out there and I couldn't handle watching a poor coach waste my kids talent. Now obviously there is a lot more to school than sports but parents send their kids to private schools to be challenged academically so I see nothing wrong with sending them somewhere to be challenged athletically.

I thought White took over the game at the end for Hopkins. I was also impressed by Dower. He got a number of offensive rebounds in the home stretch for Osseo and kept them within striking distance.

I like how you ignored my post. What would you call Whitney Young then? They're a public school with open enrollment on the West side of Chicago yet Micheal Jordan's son who lives on the Gold Coast plays there even though he lives closer to about 20 high schools.

Save your 'glorified AAU' comments because there are literally hundreds of high schools nationwide with good teams made up of players from other areas. If my son has a lot of talent when he reaches high school I'd much rather him go to a place like Hopkins where he can maximize his potential and have a shot at a scholarship than go to a school with a poor program. That is even more true with football. There are a lot of bad coaches out there and I couldn't handle watching a poor coach waste my kids talent. Now obviously there is a lot more to school than sports but parents send their kids to private schools to be challenged academically so I see nothing wrong with sending them somewhere to be challenged athletically.

I didn't ignore your first post, it just wasn't all that relevant. I don't know anything about that Illinois school's history with transfers, I don't know where their school is located, where they got the transfers from, the education level of the school, etc. so it'd be worthless to argue that.

And.. about the high school coach.. come on now. Unless you're sending your son to an Oak Hill or St Anthony's, or a school along those lines, high school coaching is extremely over rated. The kids that make an impact as freshman in collegiate basketball don't do so because they had great high school coaching, they do so because they had elite talent. Royce White was going to be the best player in the state whether he played for Hopkins or Holy Family. If you want your son to be challenged athletically, how is sending him somewhere like Hopkins going to do that? Sure, they have extremely hard practices.. according to the loyal Hopkins fans on this board. But playing for Hopkins was not an athletic 'challenge' for any of the 4 D-1 seniors. It was probably one of the easiest, least stressful years these kids have had in the last 6+ years.

Also, you proved my point.. they are a glorified AAU team. You said you had no problem with kids choosing a school because of sports, and suggested you would do the same for your kids.. isn't that EXACTLY how you'd choose an AAU team? It is what it is, Hopkins is the State Champs, I just find it hilarious how the Hopkins faithful continue to be so blind and SWEAR their team does nothing wrong. Even the ones that admit SOMETHING is happening, they blow it off by saying "Well, it's okay, because I'd do the same thing for my kids." What if your kid was the starting PF for 6 years, a solid player, but not a star by any means, and then he gets relegated to bench duty in his senior year because a new kid gets expelled from his old school, moves into your district strictly to play Basketball, and is given the starting spot because he's the best player in the state? I find it extremely hard to believe you'd be okay in that scenario.

If Tubby ever leaves I think the Gophers should look seriously at Novak.. he's definitely a better recruiter than Monson was..

Whitney Young is a Magnet School within CPS. Tougher academic requirements than most CPS. Kids are permitted to transfer to WY from all over Chicago (city, not area) as a Magnet School.

Now said:
And Osseo was 100% all Osseo kids? I am 99% sure that #21 for Osseo used to be at Hopkins and then probably realized he wouldn't play. Funny he went to another power. I'm sure he isn't the only one. Kids can go play where ever they choose as long as they physically move there.

I think the difference is that it is instatutionalized at Hopkins. It isn't a player her or there but alot of the players in the program. There was a thread awhile back about this and Cole Aldrich. Someone that played with Cole growing up said the representatives or boosters routinely showed up at tournements while they were in junior high trying to recruit Cole. It is a process, similiar to the college recruiting but for junior high kids, and in my mind that is wrong. I would be curious to see what the goals and objectives of the program is at Hopkins. My guess is that to provide a competive environment and teach lifelong goals for kids in the community is not part of the description.

In defense of Hopkins......

it's something private schools have been doing for years. I was involved with AAU ball at the 7th-8th grade level, and "representatives," of various private schools were always trying to woo the best kids to their programs.

What is different now, is that once a player begins 9th grade, he/she cannot transfer to another school without sitting out a year, unless they move their residence to that district.

There was a thread awhile back about this and Cole Aldrich. Someone that played with Cole growing up said the representatives or boosters routinely showed up at tournements while they were in junior high trying to recruit Cole.
This is a total joke. Do you know why Cole was talking with a Hopkins "coach?"

FOR 3 YEARS, COLE'S AAU COACH ON THE MN MAGIC TEAM WAS THE 8TH GRADE HOPKINS COACH; Parrish Curry.

So yes, a Hopkins coach was with Cole nearly every weekend in the off-season for 3 years. When you TubbyTime2009 said that Cole was talking on the phone with a "Hopkins coach" in the off-season, he should have been, it was HIS COACH for the spring/summer. Cole chose to play for THAT AAU team. He knew a Hopkins traveling coach was it's head coach, and he wanted to play for him.

I'd say that he was talking with a Hopkins coach "routinely at tournements" is a little disingenuous based on that fact wouldn't you?

I love posting these things to get you Hopkins people all worked up.

The Hopkins coach that was at the tournaments? Not his AAU coach. I knew who his AAU coach was. I didn't know this Hopkins guy that was always talking to him.

Also, for the 500th time, #21 on Osseo LIVES IN OSSEO. He was a kid who transferred to Hopkins, then transferred back to Osseo when he realized he was going to come off the bench.

And yes.. Private Schools recruit too.

And.. about the high school coach.. come on now. Unless you're sending your son to an Oak Hill or St Anthony's, or a school along those lines, high school coaching is extremely over rated. The kids that make an impact as freshman in collegiate basketball don't do so because they had great high school coaching, they do so because they had elite talent. Royce White was going to be the best player in the state whether he played for Hopkins or Holy Family. If you want your son to be challenged athletically, how is sending him somewhere like Hopkins going to do that? Sure, they have extremely hard practices.. according to the loyal Hopkins fans on this board. But playing for Hopkins was not an athletic 'challenge' for any of the 4 D-1 seniors. It was probably one of the easiest, least stressful years these kids have had in the last 6+ years.

Don't care about recruiting or Hopkins or whatever. To say h.s. coaching doesn't matter though is ridiculous. I wish Rodney Williams would have grown up in a program with actual coaches. He'd have been a top 30 recruit in the nation. With a real coach, Rodney would be light years ahead of where he is now and he'd be a basketball player, not an athlete.

Don't care about recruiting or Hopkins or whatever. To say h.s. coaching doesn't matter though is ridiculous. I wish Rodney Williams would have grown up in a program with actual coaches. He'd have been a top 30 recruit in the nation. With a real coach, Rodney would be light years ahead of where he is now and he'd be a basketball player, not an athlete.

Growing up with coaches is important. However, I think the traveling coaches are far more important than a high school coach. Kids learn their tendencies and habits at a young age. Sure, a good high school coach will try to fix it, but it's a lot tougher to do when the kid has been dominating throughout middle school.

Very few Osseo kids are from Osseo, Dower, Anderson, Reynolds and others are all from Brooklyn Park and open enrolled at Osseo.

Top Bottom