Latest rumors on UK board?

I get the Matta rumor - he's at a football school where basketball will never be that important. I don't get the Izzo thing though. He's made MSU a top 10 job. It has a much better recruiting base than Kentucky, and as much as the Kentucky fans don't want to hear it, 17 year olds outside michigam or Kentucky are not going to be initially more impressed by a contact from Kentucky than MSU. MSU has as good as, if not better than, reputation currently than Kentucky.

well having either one of these GREAT coaches/recruiters leave the big 10 couldn't hurt the maroon & gold
:clap: :clap:

Actually it could hurt the maroon and gold seeing as we have a coach they'd want

I hope Izzo is smart enough not to go

He doesn't seem the type to "fit" in that Kentucky crazy world. He's adored at Michigan State and he's from the UP - I don't see him leaving that.

Izzo will retire at MSU. He's made that pretty clear in the past.

RE:Ozzie and Ray

Have you ever heard of Jerry Lucas, John Havlicek, Bobby Knight, Gary Bradds,Bill Hosket, Greg Oden, Mike Conley, Michael Redd,etc......get my point the Buckeyes are not only a football school, but a basketball school as well! It is great to beat them in buckets also,as they are a legend in buckets also!

Have you ever heard of Jerry Lucas, John Havlicek, Bobby Knight, Gary Bradds,Bill Hosket, Greg Oden, Mike Conley, Michael Redd,etc......get my point the Buckeyes are not only a football school, but a basketball school as well! It is great to beat them in buckets also,as they are a legend in buckets also!

10 FF appearances by the Buckeyes, I think.

Matta has set himself to become a legacy coach at OSU. Knight/Keady/ to Izzo/Matta

Matta would sell his soul to the devil for any amount of money, hes going to Kentucky, look what he pulled on Xavier

Buckeyes are a basketball school!

Thanks FOT for the reminder, I remember as a young child the Bearcat led by Paul Hogue going up against the Buckeyes Jerry Lucas led in some great games... The buckeyes have always been not only a tough football university but also basketball...In regards to Maata he probably will leave OSU for the KY..then does OSU reach out against Delaney and hire alum Bobby Knight!!

LOL

Thanks FOT for the reminder, I remember as a young child the Bearcat led by Paul Hogue going up against the Buckeyes Jerry Lucas led in some great games... The buckeyes have always been not only a tough football university but also basketball...In regards to Maata he probably will leave OSU for the KY..then does OSU reach out against Delaney and hire alum Bobby Knight!!

I have to think The General is done! He is almost as old as Sid. :)

Thanks for the response. I wasn't really clear in my post. Both Michigan and OSU have rich basketball histories, but across the country, and among grads of each school I know, football definitely comes first. They are viewed as football schools first by most people - no matter the success, in many ways BB always plays second fiddle. MSU is a basketball school that is viewed that way across the country. Matta may have an ego, I really don't know, in which he wants to be the top dog in town. Izzo is the top dog in East Lansing.

Football absolutely comes first in Columbus. I believe that their first sellout this year was their home game against Illinois in mid February sometime. I'm not denying that ohio state has a rich basketball history but in my opinion it is a bit of a stretch to call osu a basketball school.

All the opportunities does kinda bring out the character of individual coaches, huh.

Careful on character

I am as miffed as anyone about the coaching carousel in college basketball, but the coaches cannot be blamed for it all. The schools that break contracts, grow impatient, talk about 'doing it the right way', getting 'student athletes', etc. and then can guys after a few years should take some of the blame here, too.

In 21st century college basketball, the likelihood of a coach being around more than a decade at one place is pretty slim. They are either getting pushed out the door, or they are being raided by bigger programs.

I am as miffed as anyone about the coaching carousel in college basketball, but the coaches cannot be blamed for it all. The schools that break contracts, grow impatient, talk about 'doing it the right way', getting 'student athletes', etc. and then can guys after a few years should take some of the blame here, too.

In 21st century college basketball, the likelihood of a coach being around more than a decade at one place is pretty slim. They are either getting pushed out the door, or they are being raided by bigger programs.

Oh I agree, and I don't begrudge a coach, especially in this climate of sports, of doing everything he can to develop, and when necessary protect his career. It is just that some go about it in an underhanded way and it is obvious that many positions are stepping stones to the next level. It does have a hard affect on school and teams when that happens.

Woody Hayes did bring football to #1 at Ohio State! No doubt about that. However I will again ascertain that the Buckeyes are also a basketball school, as FOT has said ten final fours, the great history, they are behind football, but there basketball program is also first rate and historically has to be in the top twenty nationally!

Izzo feeling "under-appreciated" at East Lansing?

Izzo will retire at MSU. He's made that pretty clear in the past.
I always thought Izzo would retire there, despite what my friend the Monkey Trainer hinted at.

But during the broadcast of the MSU-Kansas game last night, the talking heads said that Izzo has complained that he's been under-appreciated at East Lansing at times.

While I suspect it was simply "talking head banter" there may be some truth to it. Anyone who actually follows the Spartan program actively have any comment?

Googling, I found this:

detnews.com | The Detroit News | U-M
Mar 14, 2009 ... Not only did he incorrectly state that Izzo is unappreciated in East Lansing and perhaps should take the KY job, Johnson was openly rooting ...
But I can't find the whole article.
If it isn't true, then why doesn't Izzo take time out of his schedule and set the record straight???:rolleyes:

Even IF he was feeling a little underappreciated, he is more then level headed enough to not let his ego do the talking! Izzo is not going anywhere, especially Kentucky. He already is coach of a national power! Kentucky offers him nothing more then what he already has and when he probably makes millions of dollars as it is, a little more money would not impress him I am certain.

I recall hearing Gus Johnson state that, and I thought it was a bit dubious-then I thought, if he feels underappreciated with Michigan State and the Izzone, what would he feel with the Kentucky faithful the first time they won a game while scoring in the 50's?

im afraid if Matt goes then Tubby has got to be the first on OSU's list, which makes me nervous because they are a little more desirable than virginia trying to get him

Woody Hayes did bring football to #1 at Ohio State! No doubt about that. However I will again ascertain that the Buckeyes are also a basketball school, as FOT has said ten final fours, the great history, they are behind football, but there basketball program is also first rate and historically has to be in the top twenty nationally!

So...football is #1 at OSU...but it is a basketball school.

I think I'm confused on what your definition of a "basketball school" is.

Just a guess is that Flip will get the MSU or OSU job if one of them takes the Kentucky job. He was on KFAN and pretty much said he expects to have a job next year. Now they were talking about NBA, but I have a hunch he will be in the NCAA for his next job.

I am sure it's been discussed, but John Calipari is as close to I can see to a perfect fit for the KY job. I obviously don't know the man, but he seems to have a healthy ego, he's charismatic enough for this spotlight, he can recruit as good, or better, than anyone in the country, etc. Plus, he is one hell of a coach.

Say what you will about the competition Memphis faces, but they are consistently an excellent team. He also has an incredible recruiting class coming in, none of which have local ties to Memphis, so it's possible that he could get them to follow him. If he recruit that well to Memphis, KY would be easy.

Obviously, he would have to be convinced to leave Memphis, and that might be tough. But I see no reason that he couldn't get a similar basketball factory going at KY.

im afraid if Matt goes then Tubby has got to be the first on OSU's list, which makes me nervous because they are a little more desirable than virginia trying to get him

Tubby declined a chance to coach OSU in 1997 before UK offered him when Pitino left.

Top Bottom