UVa site says Tubby to be named coach on Monday

Man I hope not. That said there few people I distrust more than college coaches (tubby currenlty excepted).

Caoches who move should have to sit out a year just like the players.

If UVA gets Tubby, the reason Donovan turned Kentucky down was to be a Gopher.

Well, if he does decide to go and it does happen to be on Monday with an entire weekend for the local press to talk about it, we will know all about it before it actually happens. It will also mean that we'll be talking with potential coaches starting immediately I would think.

I'm hoping its not true because, frankly, it doesn't make any sense. But then again, it is college sports after all.

We all know about the rigorous standards that fan sites require before publishing speculation, so I'm sure it must be true. [/sarcasm]

If it happens, it happens. I have always heard/believed that Tubby is a man of integrity so I'm riding with that thought in mind.

he was at the state tournament last night watching his prized recruit.

This is proof that the affordable personal computer wasn't necessarily a good development. It also frightens me that our democracy will be in the hands of the internet soon as the newspaper media is going bankrupt.

We all know about the rigorous standards that fan sites require before publishing speculation, so I'm sure it must be true. [/sarcasm]

If it happens, it happens. I have always heard/believed that Tubby is a man of integrity so I'm riding with that thought in mind.

yeah, nothing Tubby has done or said has indicated anything other he will be staying put. But if he does go, it will be one of the great snowball jobs of all time by a Minnesota coach. :mad:

That's my philosophy - I doubt it but if it happens - it happens.

The only reason it even gives me pause is that people are vouching that the people posting this at the very least have plausible contacts. That being said, I think the search firm has kept the lid air tight on this and any leaks are orginating in someone's mind. Unless you really believe that Rick Barnes was indeed walking around JPJ on Tuesday night as was confirmed with 'sources'.

IF Tubby does leave to UVA, and Cobbs wants to go too.. Here's my question:

Assuming Flip gets the job immediately, should the Gophers let Cobbs out of his commitment (if that's what he wants) and just go after Darius Smith hard again?

Don't jump down my throat.. I realize that's a lot of IF's.. Tubby would have to leave, UVA would need to have an open scholarship somehow, and Cobbs would have to be dead set on following Tubby, regardless of the school. I just think it's an interesting question.

Seriously ?

Seriuosly. You bother to copy this link and propagate such worthless, unsubstatiated uncorraborated crap?

Here is the whole story from this link:

Subject: I hear it's Tubby w/announcement Monday
Posted by: G-Len Portier on Fri Mar 27 2009 4:08:31 PM
I hope that's the case. A classy guy and a steady proven commodity

Let me just add, today I heard from my special sources that monkees from the planet Mars landed on top of Williams Arena this afternoon and proclaimed the world as we know it will end this Sunday at 6 PM CDT.

Now someone from some other internet message board can link to my post as proof the World will end Sunday! :) :) :)

That is what I think.

Let me just add, today I heard from my special sources that monkees from the planet Mars landed on top of Williams Arena this afternoon and proclaimed the world as we know it will end this Sunday at 6 PM CDT.

If Section 201 is hearing it, then I would believe him. He is someone with a proven track record.

Now are the monkeys going to end the world on their own, or do these monkeys also have sources that say the world will end.
If the monkeys are hearing it, Then I would believe them. They are animals with a proven track record.

Oh crap...now I have to move my fantasy baseball draft up to the afternoon to get it in before the world ends...

I'm long past weary of this discussion. Either:
1) Virginia has solidified itself as some of the dumbest and most dilusional fans in the country
2) Tubby has suddenly become very dishonorable assuming he actually gave President Bruininks his word and based on the rest of his comments in the media.

I'm leaning heavily towards number one.

The only reason it even gives me pause is that people are vouching that the people posting this at the very least have plausible contacts. That being said, I think the search firm has kept the lid air tight on this and any leaks are orginating in someone's mind. Unless you really believe that Rick Barnes was indeed walking around JPJ on Tuesday night as was confirmed with 'sources'.

Rick Barnes would have to be crazy to leave Texas, great fan base, tons of in-state talent, and a booster and university that can easily afford to outpay any other program in the country and in one of the nicest college towns in the country.

I said this early in the week. If UVA was going to make a run at Tubby, they would have learned the first time that they will need to show him the money. I'm not saying this has happened, but what if they all of the sudden threw just a boatload of money his way? Donovan is the highest paid coach at $3.5 million per year. What if UVA offers Tubby 7-years/$30 million to make him the highest paid coach in the country?

In this economy, could you blame him for going?

I said this early in the week. If UVA was going to make a run at Tubby, they would have learned the first time that they will need to show him the money. I'm not saying this has happened, but what if they threw a 7-year/$30 million deal his way? That would make him the highest paid coach in the country.

In this economy, could you blame him for going? I mean $30 million?

It's possible, but this is also a very politically correct town. Paying the basketball coach $4 million dollars would be frowned upon by the elites at UVA. Plus it would be like 4 times what Al Groh makes which I think would be a bit akward in the AD. The speculation is that UVA would pay him about $3 million including incentives which really isn't that much more then he can make at Minnesota.

Rumor now that it is a big ten coach. but it is not Tubby Smith.

http://www.thesabre.com/message_board/basketball/2009/March/27/1103830.php

Are you kidding me??!!!! This is nothing short of INSANE. But on the surface, it would make sense. Tubby has shown absolutely no indications of leaving either in his behavior or what he has said. Meanwhile, players are bailing on Iowa left and right and Lickliter is thought to be in hot water.

This would also explain the supposed conversation that Littlepage had with Tubby on Thursday. It might have been as simple as asking what Tubby thought of Lickliter. On top of that, the guy that said the announcement was on Monday said he "hoped" it was Tubby but could not get confirmation. It might be as simple as hearing from his source saying it was a Big Ten coach and everyone assumed it was Tubby. Certainly, it appears to be a possibility. But then again, who knows???!!!!

Things that make you go hmmmm....

Haha, that would be hilarious on so many levels!

Todd Lickliter just held a news conference TODAY in Iowa City. No chance he's the guy for UVA. If he is going to UVA he certainly doesn't hold a news conference today to answer questions about why his guys are transferring. Obviously no one on that board knows anything.

Are you kidding me??!!!! This is nothing short of INSANE. But on the surface, it would make sense. Tubby has shown absolutely no indications of leaving either in his behavior or what he has said. Meanwhile, players are bailing on Iowa left and right and Lickliter is thought to be in hot water.

This would also explain the supposed conversation that Littlepage had with Tubby on Thursday. It might have been as simple as asking what Tubby thought of Lickliter. On top of that, the guy that said the announcement was on Monday said he "hoped" it was Tubby but could not get confirmation. It might be as simple as hearing from his source saying it was a Big Ten coach and everyone assumed it was Tubby. Certainly, it appears to be a possibility. But then again, who knows???!!!!

Things that make you go hmmmm....

I agree this makes more sense than Tubby. Someone posted in the last few days about a flight from IA and a reply was that "didn't we have a layover in IA when we went to MN a few years ago".

Players bolting, Big10 program, going nowhere fast. Now this is the first thing on that board that has made some sense in the last week. I go there as much as CatPause these days for pure entertainment.

I see the Iowa stereotypes have already begun. Better them than us I guess.

It's possible, but this is also a very politically correct town. Paying the basketball coach $4 million dollars would be frowned upon by the elites at UVA. Plus it would be like 4 times what Al Groh makes which I think would be a bit akward in the AD. The speculation is that UVA would pay him about $3 million including incentives which really isn't that much more then he can make at Minnesota.

UVa rejected his request for $3 million (per) in 2005.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Top Bottom