More Iowa (nice quote on Tubby)

Anderson8284

Reaction score
This is an almost verbatim quote from Des Moines Register sportswriter Sean Keeler, re/ Tubby. The context is, an on-line chat covering the State of Iowa basketball, given the 15-17 season and the recent player transfers. Why it is difficult to compete in the Big 10.

"The problem is: You've got Tubby Smith in Minnesota, Bruce Weber in Illinois and good coaches "closing up fences" all over this league. With the Al Lorenzens of the world being the exception, you're not going to win in the Big Ten with only solid in-state Iowa kids and the occasional Indiana leftover."

This is an almost verbatim quote from Des Moines Register sportswriter Sean Keeler, re/ Tubby. The context is, an on-line chat covering the State of Iowa basketball, given the 15-17 season and the recent player transfers. Why it is difficult to compete in the Big 10.

"The problem is: You've got Tubby Smith in Minnesota, Bruce Weber in Illinois and good coaches "closing up fences" all over this league. With the Al Lorenzens of the world being the exception, you're not going to win in the Big Ten with only solid in-state Iowa kids and the occasional Indiana leftover."

There will be plenty of players "left over" from a lot of states, including Minnesota. If history is any indication some of them will be very good gets.

It's true. When Coach Smith comes to the door of a 17 year old kid, he and his entire family knows it's Tubby. When Coach Lickliter comes to the same kid's door, the kid yells to the rest of the family, "Did anyone order a pizza?"
Advantage Gophers.
Ha ha ha.

I don't know when we'll have a class like this years with all of the leftovers. Lockett, Cowles, Broghammer, Dower, Sonnen, Brueswlicz, etc

SP Hawkeye

That was a great post. Made me laugh!

In my heart, I would love to see Lickliter bring the Hawks into national prominence. It's good for the rivalry and I think it's good for the Big Ten. I don't know enough about Lickliter to know what kind of Coach he is, but it remains to be seen if he can recruit and keep his kids enrolled at Iowa. (Wasn't Gatens sought after by a bunch of schools?) If he can land a couple more fish, I'd like to see what he can do...

Top Bottom