Virginia Radio Guy Still Insists Tubby Heading to VA

Tucker32

Reaction score
http://wkav.com/pages/3796808.php

This guy just doesn't let up on Tubby going to Virginia. He even says in this post that Tubby is their top choice, that Virginia is the only job he would be interested in, but that they should have backups if Minnesota convinces him to stay. He had another statement that Virginia was meeting with Tubby today. I haven't seen anything else on that and can't imagine there wouldn't be others reporting that if it was true.

If all that had happened to this point was Tubby saying he's happy to the media I would wonder. However, he supposedly called President Bruinicks himself to tell him he was staying. What is this guys deal with his ongoing push? My hope - he's just nuts.

This guy just doesn't let up on Tubby going to Virginia. He even says in this post that Tubby is their top choice, that Virginia is the only job he would be interested in, but that they should have backups if Minnesota convinces him to stay. He had another statement that Virginia was meeting with Tubby today. I haven't seen anything else on that and can't imagine there wouldn't be others reporting that if it was true.

If all that had happened to this point was Tubby saying he's happy to the media I would wonder. However, he supposedly called President Bruinicks himself to tell him he was staying. What is this guys deal with his ongoing push? My hope - he's just nuts.

Adam Godshock is an idiot. However, he's not the only one still hyping Tubby. Jerry Ratcliff of the Daily Progress won't let it go either nor will some others in town. I am good friends with someone at the main TV station in Charlottesville. They are saying almost nothing about the coaching search, because frankly they don't know anything and won't engage in spreading rumors. So thier coverage has basically consisted of covering the comment's Tubby has made, along with a few from Capel and Craig Littlepage's 'no comments.' Pretty boring but at least they aren't making stuff up.

Tubby is thier top choice. No one disputes that. At least I don't. But that's what they keep hyping. Why Tubby is so perfect for UVA. UVA needs Tubby. Very little to indicate why the hell Tubby would actually want to go there, except 'he's buddy's with Littlepage and John Tudor Jones and his loose 'family ties.' Oh and the weather since Minnesota is basically like living in Alaska apparently.

First there's the fact that the UVA job is simply not better then MN. At best it's a push, but it's two years further from being any good. Second, Tubby IMO went out of his way to talk to Bruinicks and the Sports Huddle, etc and indicate that he wasn't leaving. If he was even considering it, he could have just repeated what he said in Greensboro last week and left it that. Better yet, he could have gotten out of dodge for a week and avoided having to talk about it. But he didn't. It is true that he could have made 'stronger' statements that he absolutely was staying, but the fact that he didn't doesn't mean anything. Mike Max says he got Bruinicks/Maturi to re-commit to the practice facility as part of this situation.

While there is still a chance something could happen, it's also possible Tubby just hasn't told them flat 'no' yet, even though he has no intention of going, or that they are just using the speculation as a smoke-screen while they wait for Capel or whoever they are actually targeting now. Frankly, if UVA was going to land Tubby, they'd have done it by now. It's been a week, and he's thier first choice. It took us 4 days to hire him from Kentucky.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

The VA coaching search getting to the point of being as entertaining as what is going down in Kentucky.

I think VA just has illusions of grandeur because they are in the ACC.

Tubby isn't going anywhere - if he did I'd be shocked especially after his statements in the media and the phone calls he's made to his bosses. A person who is seriously thinking about leaving doesn't do that.

Ozzy&Ray said:
He had another statement that Virginia was meeting with Tubby Thursday.

Was Virginia athletic director Craig Littlejohn at the Minnesota Boys State Basketball tournament yesterday? Because Mike Max said on the radio last night that Tubby spent his entire day at the tourney. So, Littlejohn and Tubby met, I guess it must have been in the bowels of the Target Center. Not saying they couldn't have had a phone conversation, but I highly doubt they had a meeting.

On top of that, if they had a meeting, UVA would have had to sought permission, and we've seen/heard nothing on that.

Yes, I think this radio guy is throwing as much onto the wall as he can just so at the end of the day one of his possibilities is correct and he can brag about it.

Tubby's not going to Virginia. Everyone knows he's gonna replace Billy Gillespie at Kentucky!

:rolleyes:

Virginia press won't give it up?

How about you gophers? For a fanbase convinced that Tubby is going nowhere and that Virginia has "delusions (not illusions) of grandeur", you spend an awful lot of time paying attention to the #223 media market in the US. I will offer this though, Gottschalk (WKAV 1400) is a gullible moron in regards to this coaching search. Jeff White of the Richmond Times Dispatch and Jerry Ratcliffe are the most respected in CVille when it comes to UVa sports.

This is a pretty lame argument considering Tubby is our coach, not yours. If a topic comes up that pertains to our coach, of course people are going to talk about it. That's what happens when you have a high profile coach.

The Virginia folks on the other hand are obsessing about somebody that hasn't even shown any clear indications that he's interested in their job. So go ahead and spin this as the "since we're talking about it, we must be worried" argument if you want. It's plenty entertaining...:rolleyes:

People need to move on. The UVA is the best job in the nation. That is the lacrosse job I'm talking about. The job we are talking about sucks.

Great academic school and nice countryside, but that's about it besides the run that ended in 1984. It's somewhere around 8th in the basketball pecking order in that region beyond being the ugly step-child to Georgetown, Duke, and UNC. Our guy was interested four years ago, but the situation there has gotten even worse since then.

I was worried about the earlier Tubby speculation, but this is good job and we'll get a coach if he leaves. Worst case scenario is Flip, but I think we could get a top young guy like Tony Bennett. Hell, Majerus called every radio show that would have him to lobby his case two years ago.

Coach Smith isn't leaving. The only reason he's not saying no outright at the moment is because this speculation is providing great leverage for a new practice facility.

As far as HooJC is concerned, I have to agree that it's silly to watch some Gopher fans getting worked up about this, because I'm confident that Coach Smith is staying, but I do second MRJ's comments that your argument is pretty weak. This speculation involves us directly - Coach Smith is our coach and this is a Minnesota message board. Of course people are going to post "news" about Coach Smith here, even if the word has to be encased in quotation marks to mock the idea that it's real news.

Yeah, if want to watch a team that moves at a glacial pace.

In fairness, we should acknowledge that as slow as Wazzu's offense runs, it was probably light years ahead of our team's performance this year in entertainment value.

Tubby is like the prettiest girl in school who once (4 years ago) smiled at the class nerd (Virginia) and now the class nerd thinks the prettiest girl in school is in love with him.

There are lots of plain Janes that would love to coach your VA basketball team. Just stop thinking you’re irresistible. You’re not.

Tubby is like the prettiest girl in school who once (4 years ago) smiled at the class nerd (Virginia) and now the class nerd thinks the prettiest girl in school is in love with him.

Wait...she really didn't love me???

Not every yahoo on thesabre posting that would raise my eyebrow, but him...maybe.

UVA would be a good job for a present Gopher Coach. That would be Vince Taylor. I see them getting a Dana Altman or Chris Lowery, but Vince Taylor would be a nice hire there considering his ACC ties and recruiting prowess.

That thesabre site has the worst message board formatting I have ever seen.:confused:

That thesabre site has the worst message board formatting I have ever seen.

Funny, I was just going to post the same thing...this alone should keep Tubby from going there...

Top Bottom