Thank You

mnboiler

Resident Purdue Expert
Reaction score
I would just like to take a second and thank my fellow Gopher Holer's for there support of me and my Boilermakers this season. The kind words were wonderful and the the support much needed at times. Again thank you to all for all of the support.

MNBoiler

That's one tough team you have to root for MNBoiler. They were physically overwhelmed tonight by Thabeet, they were dominated in the first few minutes of the game, and there shots didn't fall when they needed them, but wow, was I impressed with the toughness and fight of your Boilermakers tonight and I don't look forward to facing them for at least the next couple years. Question for you, do they have some height/beef coming onto to campus to complement Johnson and Hummel on the front line? You add another rebounder to the team and they are going to be tough to beat, both in conference and nation-wide.

That's one tough team you have to root for MNBoiler. They were physically overwhelmed tonight by Thabeet, they were dominated in the first few minutes of the game, and there shots didn't fall when they needed them, but wow, was I impressed with the toughness and fight of your Boilermakers tonight and I don't look forward to facing them for at least the next couple years. Question for you, do they have some height/beef coming onto to campus to complement Johnson and Hummel on the front line? You add another rebounder to the team and they are going to be tough to beat, both in conference and nation-wide.

I'll take this one.

Next year's recruiting class should be very interesting. The "beef" coming in would be Jeff Robinson who is ranked in the top 100 on some lists but only plays about 5 minutes a game. Unfortunately, he attends the basketball factory known as Lawrence North, which makes Hopkins look like a JV team. He gets little playing time because of the studs ahead of him Steven Van Treese (signed with Louisville) and Dominique Ferguson (signed with Kentucky). This is the same high school that produced Greg Oden anf Mike Conley a few years ago. Painter is rolling the dice on this kid based on what he saw on the AAU circuit. Robinson supposedly performed very well at the NBA Camp last summer but last I heard, he has not qualified yet. Also coming to help on the boards is Patrick Bade who is a Rivals top 150 player and he should see some time at the 4. For those of you that hate Chris Kramer, his clone D.J. Byrd (another top 150 player) is coming aboard and like Robinson, he tore it up at the NBA Camp last summer. He's a gritty player that unlike Kramer, is actually a threat to score in double digits every night. The last piece of the '09 class is Kelsey Barlow. I've heard this kid is a stud that will contribute 15-20 minutes next year, and I've also heard he's a complete waste of a scholly and likely red-shirt candidate. I have no idea who to believe. I'll trust Painter however.

2010 has the makings of a ridiculous class. They already a pair of 4* and a 3* committed with one scholly left. It's too early to even speculate on those kids right now.

As for this season, Purdue was one big man from being a Final 4 team. JJ had a great season but he can't do it all himself. I normally don't play the "What If" game but Purdue finished runner-up for both Luke Harangody and Tyler Zeller and having just one of them, preferably Harangody, would been the difference this year.

I'll take this one.

Next year's recruiting class should be very interesting. The "beef" coming in would be Jeff Robinson who is ranked in the top 100 on some lists but only plays about 5 minutes a game. Unfortunately, he attends the basketball factory known as Lawrence North, which makes Hopkins look like a JV team. He gets little playing time because of the studs ahead of him Steven Van Treese (signed with Louisville) and Dominique Ferguson (signed with Kentucky). This is the same high school that produced Greg Oden anf Mike Conley a few years ago. Painter is rolling the dice on this kid based on what he saw on the AAU circuit. Robinson supposedly performed very well at the NBA Camp last summer but last I heard, he has not qualified yet. Also coming to help on the boards is Patrick Bade who is a Rivals top 150 player and he should see some time at the 4. For those of you that hate Chris Kramer, his clone D.J. Byrd (another top 150 player) is coming aboard and like Robinson, he tore it up at the NBA Camp last summer. He's a gritty player that unlike Kramer, is actually a threat to score in double digits every night. The last piece of the '09 class is Kelsey Barlow. I've heard this kid is a stud that will contribute 15-20 minutes next year, and I've also heard he's a complete waste of a scholly and likely red-shirt candidate. I have no idea who to believe. I'll trust Painter however.

2010 has the makings of a ridiculous class. They already a pair of 4* and a 3* committed with one scholly left. It's too early to even speculate on those kids right now.

As for this season, Purdue was one big man from being a Final 4 team. JJ had a great season but he can't do it all himself. I normally don't play the "What If" game but Purdue finished runner-up for both Luke Harangody and Tyler Zeller and having just one of them, preferably Harangody, would been the difference this year.

Bade and Byrd will be factors at "4" and "2" next season. Barlow is a "3" but won't play much. Robinson is a "5" but may not see the court at all.

Barlow has a famous Dad who played at ND. Robinson has one who played at Cincy.

The 2010 recruits include legit "5" in Travis Carroll and "2" Anthony Johnson, whose team won IL state title last week. And "1" Terone Johnson is a very solid player, too.

Yes the other 2 Purdue guys are right on with this one. Bade was also a highly rated tight end recuit coming out of highschool. So that gives you a little idea on what type of player he is. Comes from the same school as JJ. He needs to be able to step in next year and contribute.

D.J. is in the same mold as Kramer tough as nails. Earlier this season he broke bone in his foot had surgery on it and was supposely done for the year but he was back in the next game less than a week later leading his team to victory against Travis Carroll team. Carroll is a 2010 recuit. Byrd D is know where nears Kramer but as stated before he can score but they same the same attitude and demeaner on the court. So that gives everyone a new guy at Purdue to hate but love if they are on there team.

Barlow is a wing. The best way I can think of describe him is Evan Turner, David Lighty, William Buford mold but no where near as good but maybe a slightly bit more athletic. I have also heard that he is a redshirt candidate but I am not a big fan of non-medical redshirting in College basketball. Personally I think the teams need to turnover the scholarship more often. But I trust Painter and his staff.

Jeff Robinson comes from the hoops school of Lawarence North. He doesn't get the playing time there because of all the talent around him. From what I've heard there is quite abit of politics and drama surrounding their basketball program. Any way by may count and could be off they have currently on there roster they have 4 players on there way to Louisville starting with Van Tresse and 1 to Purdue 1 to Kentucky plus I don't know where else. There starting line is like 6-7 6-9-6-11 how they ever lose a game is mind boggaling to me. Many at GoldandBlack(a Purdue message board) agree that Jack Kiefer(LN's coach) is not a very good big man coach. Yes there is talk that JRob won't qualify but we will see. Right now Painter has an offer out to a Croation big man to talk JRob place if he doesn't get in.

Actully we are out of schooly's for the 2010 recuit class be we will see if everyone stays, which is likely. If someone does leave there is talk of grabbing Domique Ferguson 3/4 from LN if he de-commits to Kentucky with the mess they have there or Donnie Hale a 4 from Louisville area.

I also hate playing the what if game. But for what it's worth it has been reported that not only finished second for Harangody and Zeller but also Dominic James from Marquette. Just think what the team would have been like with a starting line up:

1. Lewis Jackson-Always he has to do is get the ball up the court
2. Dominic James-Just score baby
3. Hummel-Rob's more of a 3 than a 4 anyways
4. Zeller-Taller than 'Gody but more natural position
5. Harangody-Most natural position

Off the bench
Kramer-Lock down defender same thing he does know
Grant-Again just get the ball up the court and hit your 3's
Moore-The second coming up James, not saying thats true but that is what he will be billed as
JJ-Just has to do what he does
Calasan-In his minutes his job is to do no harm

Wow that would have been a great team I feel comfertable saying a National Championship would be the expection. But sadly close doesn't mean anything in college recuiting.

Don't forget the transfer of Scott Martin. Not a power player, but another 6'8" player with a nice touch from the outside and down low. Would they have beaten UCONN with SM last night? Doubt it, but if some of their early shots had fallen, Purdue wouldn't have had to play catchup the whole game.

Purdue will be a Final Four caliber team next season.

I don't know. I think their front court is just too skinny, too short, and too lacking in depth.

The thing about Harangody is shame because that's exactly what they need. Even a Shawn Taggart or Robert Dozier type player would help a ton.

National HS polls are ridiculous

Hopkins is ranked 9th in the nation, while Lawrence North isn't on the top 25 radar. Just thought you should know before you rip on our local program.

How can you possibly rank the thousands and thousands of high school teams in this country?

Don't take this the wrong way (I'm a born and raised Minnesotan) but if Hopkins was in Indiana, they would lose their fair share of games. Indiana HS basketball is leaps and bounds ahead of Minnesota. Per capita, Minnesota produces some nice D-I talent, but the quality of teams is nowhere near Indiana's. I would love to see a LN/Hopkins match-up however.

Friend of Tubby, what do you think?

question on Barlow

FOT, you mention that the Barlow kid is the son of a famous alum from Notre Dame-am I correct in assuming that his dad is Ken Barlow, the forward who starred with David Rivers in the mid ´80s?

I didn´t realize that Harangody was close to coming to the Boilermakers. . .wow, you put him on that team, and I think they´re Big 10 champs and a strong threat for the Final Four, if not national champ.

As for Dom James, I actually think you´re better off with Moore than him as your primary scorer.

How can you possibly rank the thousands and thousands of high school teams in this country?

Don't take this the wrong way (I'm a born and raised Minnesotan) but if Hopkins was in Indiana, they would lose their fair share of games. Indiana HS basketball is leaps and bounds ahead of Minnesota. Per capita, Minnesota produces some nice D-I talent, but the quality of teams is nowhere near Indiana's. I would love to see a LN/Hopkins match-up however.

Hopkins would lose a few games but win the state title in Indiana, too.

FOT, you mention that the Barlow kid is the son of a famous alum from Notre Dame-am I correct in assuming that his dad is Ken Barlow, the forward who starred with David Rivers in the mid ´80s?

I didn´t realize that Harangody was close to coming to the Boilermakers. . .wow, you put him on that team, and I think they´re Big 10 champs and a strong threat for the Final Four, if not national champ.

As for Dom James, I actually think you´re better off with Moore than him as your primary scorer.

Yes, Ken Barlow is his Dad.

Harangody had Purdue 2nd.

I remember when they tried that back in the late 70's or early 80's. Indiana wanted a tune-up for their all-star team before they took on Kentucky. It was not pretty. Indiana decided that maybe playing Minnesota wasn't such a good idea after all. I believe Minnesota had the likes of Randy Breuer and Ben Coleman.

Top Bottom