Gophers and indivdiual Big 10 statistics

TABinMO

Reaction score
In reviewing the individual Big 10 statistics, I thought the following items were interesting:

1. Gophers were the only team with only one player in the top 30 scorers. Several teams had 3 players while Illinois had four. Westbrook was #14 at 12.6 ppg. Lack of consistent scorers for the Gophers shows up in this statistic.
2. Gophers had ZERO players in the top 20 rebounders. I expect next year that Mbwake will be in the top 5.
3. Gophers had ZERO players in the top 15 3 point FG %. They need to fix this.
4. Nolen was #1 (yes, #1) in assist/turnover ratio.
5. Gophers had 3 of the top 6 shot blockers.

Regarding number 2, I see on here all the time that people are convinced that Mbwake will be that guy for us, top 5 in the conference in rebounding, etc. I won't pretend to be an expert, but i would be curious if this is all based on hearsay, or if anyone has actually seen him play this year. It's one thing to look at statistics like his and make assumptions, but it's another for it to actually translate into the kind of production we seem to be expecting.

Basically, i would caution against such high expectations (see: Bostick, who had similarly impressive stats and... disappointed.)

Again, I am not trying to knock Mbwake. I've heard only good things. But top 5 in rebounding in your first year in the big ten is quite lofty as far as expectations go.

Sat by Mrs. Smith in Greensboro. After the loss she commented how we couldn't compete with the Texas' bigs. She said next year Mbakwe will change that. Didn't mention either Williamses or Cobbs, said she was very excited to get "Trevor" here.

I realize this is just Mrs. Smith talking, but I can only guess who she got her information from. That's reason enough for me to be excited about him.

2. Gophers had ZERO players in the top 20 rebounders.

Only if REB/GM is your measuring stick. Outside of Suton, Roe, Green, and Gray (all from MSU), nobody was a better rebounder on a per minute basis than Paul Carter.

Top Bottom