No Love for Out of State Fans in New Stadium?

MisterGopher

Reaction score
Does anyone have an inside scoop on ticket plans in the new TCF Bank stadium. I live in Florida and I recently inquired at the Gopher ticket office about single game tickets for 2009 and here is the response:

"Unfortunately, we don’t plan on selling any single game seats for the new stadium. However, if we ever have any available, they would go on-sale at the normal on-sale time in July.

If you have any further questions or concerns please e-mail our Customer Relations Manager, Dan Cohen, directly at [email protected] or call (612) 624-5280. If you like, you can stop by our office in the lobby of Mariucci Arena or visit us again at www.gophersports.com.

Thanks for supporting Golden Gopher Athletics,

Gopher Ticket Office
"

the days of the easy ticket may be over. this will fall under the category of collateral damages.

Hopefully, the Gopher ticket office is out of the business of selling "single-game" football tickets permanently. The only way they ever get back into this sad business is if deamand diminishes below capacity. I am afraid we're dangerously close right now.

You will have to buy tickets on the after-market, which is how it's done everywhere else. Ticket King, Craigslist, E-Bay, StubHub.

I disagree that we are dangerously close to demand dropping below capacity. However, I do think that the era of single game tickets is gone. On the bright side though, scalping is alive and well so you can always go that route.

Any out of town Gopher fan should post on this site and GI that they are looking for tickets. I know if something came up and I could not attend a game I would be looking for Gopher fans to sell my tickets to. No way I let them fall into the hands of becky or pigeon scum.

If your coming from Florida

I'll find you a ticket.

There will still be single game tickets available...

...if the visiting team doesn't sell their allotment of 3,000 seats to a specific game. As I understand it those would go on sale the week of the game. This won't help single game seekers for big games like WI/IA/MICH but should help against IU, NW, PU, non-cons, etc.

This is bad news for you, but this is the whole reason why they built a smaller stadium. They want to make sure that there are no single game tickets available so that they do not end up in the hands of Badger or Hawkeye fans. Your experience shows that it's working. With where we are at right now, the season tickets are completely sold out, which means that the remainder of tickets will go to students and the opposition allotment. That means that if any Gopher fans want a ticket to the game, they’ll have to hit up Gopher fans friends of theirs.

This has been predictable as everyone is expecting TCF to sell out in 09. After the shine wears off, the Gophers will have to be competitive to max out. Take away the normal Iowa/Wisky/NDSU sellouts, average attendance this Fall was about 46,000 and 48,958 with Iowa figured in.

I wonder how many season tickets are owned or available to tour companies.

We cans tilll expect that 10,000 or so Wisky or Hogeye fans will find their way into TCF.

Wow, that is awesome. I'm sorry for you but overall that is going to be a good thing. You should be able to find tickets through a broker or better yet find them here because many would rather sell at cost to a Gopher fan than see them fall in to the hands of a Badger of Hawkeye.

Bayfield brings up a good point. Does anyone know if all of those season tickets actually went to Gopher fans or were the brokers and price gougers allowed to buy some of them?

This is actually a positive for out of state season ticketholders like me. In previous seasons I have been unable to get rid of extra tickets for games I cannot make it to because there are so many available tickets for cheap. So I pretty much had to pay a lot of extra to sit with my group for just a couple of games. Now I should not have any problems getting back my money for games I don't go to because there is actually a demand. Which means I have more money to travel back for more games :D

So I guess my advice is to get on the waitlist for tickets as an out of state fan...

In the mean time online ticket sites and scalping tix will be the way to go.

Disclaimer: I have some people from my group that I sit with manage the resale of my tickets instead of going through online sales websites. I have asked them to avoid selling the tickets to people from the opposing team unless they charge a lot more and never to sell them to a Badger or Hawkeye fan under any conditions. I would rather see the ticket given away to a gopher fan for free than see another Badger or Iowa fan in our stadium.

I've kept my season tickets despite living out of state. Made it back for three home games this year (unfortunately, it was the last three), and plan on getting back for more next year. To me, it's worth paying for season tickets even if they go unused, because at least the U is profiting. I recommend getting on the waiting list.

Jike. If you don't sell your usused tix, you will receive a tax deduction if you donate your unused tix to Tix for Tots. There used to be a banner on the Yuck-o site.

Bayfield - my brother used them this year, though he's on the waiting list for season tickets of his own for next season. While a good cause, the children using my seat wouldn't want to be exposed to the language that comes out of our group during games.

Top Bottom