Am actually intrigued by the NIT Final 4

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
The 4 teams remaining provide a nice mix for college hoops fans whose plate has room for more than the NCAA tourney. You've got arguably the two biggest busts of the regular season, Baylor and Notre Dame, who were ranked in most of the preseason polls. Both could have said "screw it" after their disappointing seasons, but both weaved their way to New York.

Then there's Penn State and San Diego State, both who were clearly among the first 4 teams (also Creighton & St. Mary's) to get left out of the NCAA. I don't like to make the connection that success in the NIT means a team "got screwed" by the selection comitteee, but I have to admit I'll find it rather amusing if Penn State wins the NIT after all the whining we've heard about the Big 10 this season and the lack of mid-majors (copyright Myron) in the NCAA.

If PSU wins that would make it 2 straight years with a Big Ten bubble team taking down the NIT. Hope it happens.

If PSU wins that would make it 2 straight years with a Big Ten bubble team taking down the NIT. Hope it happens.

Agree. I am definitely rooting for the Nittany Lions. Would like to see Cornley and Pringle end their careers on a high note, because quite frankly, I like them as players. Especially Cornley, who seems like a pretty good kid based on interviews I've seen with him.

Plus, I figure the folks in Happy Valley deserve to be happy in basketball every once in awhile!!!:p

I do understand that some refer to the NIT as the "Not Invited Tournament", but the fact remains there is still a lot of interest. It is based on pride and achievement. Kinda like the old days in the old District Tournaments when the losers of the semi-finals played for a 3rd place trophy. Ya played for pride, and the trophy. How do I know? We (my teammates and I) did it.

I do understand that some refer to the NIT as the "Not Invited Tournament", but the fact remains there is still a lot of interest. It is based on pride and achievement. Kinda like the old days in the old District Tournaments when the losers of the semi-finals played for a 3rd place trophy. Ya played for pride, and the trophy. How do I know? We (my teammates and I) did it.

But it seems strange that it ends up in NY. Maybe it should stick on the top seeded courts.

Most of these schools had nice rowdy crowds, but how many fans travel to NY for a NIT final 4? Not many I am guessing.

Does anyone have any insight on the CBI or CIT tournaments? Are they actually worthwhile? I saw highlights of a game Richmond played and there may have been about 1,000 people there.

I'm excited for this final 4 as well.

Go PSU!

Top Bottom