Who do you blame for Gophers epic season collapse?

• Tubby

Votes: 70 80.5%
  • The bench

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • The seniors

Votes: 10 11.5%

• Total voters

El Amin Fan

Reaction score

Can there be an option for the players and the coaches?

The good, the bad and the ugly is all the responsibility of the coach.

Tubby gets a lot of the blame but it isn't all on him.

Andre Hollins and Austin Hollins have been sub par.

Trevor Mbakwe has a case of Elliot Elliason hands.

Joe Coleman and Rodney Williams have been nothing short of terrible.

Some things the coaches can't fix, but there is no reason we should be this bad with the athleticism on this team.

Maturi.

........I gave you guys a chance but you blew it.

Where is the option "the strength and talent of our opponents"?

The 5 Big Ten teams ranked in the Top 15 right now, are the same 5 teams that were ranked in the Top 15 last year. We supposedly got better from last year to this year, but THOSE FIVE teams were already better than us, and apparently got better as well.

So we lost a ROAD game vs a Top 15 team?! Go figure.

We'll lose a HOME game vs the #1 ranked team, too. Just get over it now, and look forward to the PSU game where we just might be able to start recovering some of the mojo this teams lost.

And if we happen to pull off a miracle and beat Indiana? Well, that would be great. But no reason to get your hopes up and then come to the GH after they lose demanding Tubby be fired. lol You people are hilarious.

Btw, if that option, the strength and talent of our opponents, was an option, along with "all of the above", THEN I would choose all of the above, just so you know. I'm not trying to deny that Tubby isn't partially to blame, but having FIVE Top 15 teams on our schedule, who have been 50% of our games so far, makes it tough to win a lot of games. Add to the mix that 4 of the other 7 games were vs teams ranked Top 30, that's close to 80% of our games vs very high quality opponents. And we WON 2 of those 7 games vs the Top 15 teams, and 2 of the 4 vs Top 30.

Basically, we've simply lost ONE game to each of the Top 7 teams in the Big Ten and only 1 vs the Bottom 4, on the road. And we've won 4 games vs the Top 7. But we only played 3 of the teams once.

So IF we lose, or when we lose to Indiana, the #1 team in the nation, that will be the first sweep we'll have suffered all season.

Have to remind myself to sign in dangit. Please don't quote our resident #troll, thanks.

Is that you, Tubby???

Btw, if that option, the strength and talent of our opponents, was an option, along with "all of the above", THEN I would choose all of the above, just so you know. I'm not trying to deny that Tubby isn't partially to blame, but having FIVE Top 15 teams on our schedule, who have been 50% of our games so far, makes it tough to win a lot of games. Add to the mix that 4 of the other 7 games were vs teams ranked Top 30, that's close to 80% of our games vs very high quality opponents. And we WON 2 of those 7 games vs the Top 15 teams, and 2 of the 4 vs Top 30.

Basically, we've simply lost ONE game to each of the Top 7 teams in the Big Ten and only 1 vs the Bottom 4, on the road. And we've won 4 games vs the Top 7. But we only played 3 of the teams once.

So IF we lose, or when we lose to Indiana, the #1 team in the nation, that will be the first sweep we'll have suffered all season.

I agree that some of the blame is on coaching, but in the end the players have to play the game - make shots, take care of the ball, defend, etc. These are the same players that were executing against some very good teams earlier in the season. This includes the starters and the bench. Where have those players gone?

I agree that some of the blame is on coaching, but in the end the players have to play the game - make shots, take care of the ball, defend, etc. These are the same players that were executing against some very good teams earlier in the season. This includes the starters and the bench. Where have those players gone?

As sad as it makes me to say it, this is 100% on the coaching. It is interesting how we seem to be the only team that recruits all-star players and turns them into guys who can't shoot, can't handle the pressure, can't handle a zone, can't drive the basket, can't pass it inside, are sloppy with the ball, etc....

Let's step back to the start of the season... Michigan State was a very rough team that wasn't very good, Iowa was terrible, Wisconsin was terrible, etc... They all got better and we got worse! And this isn't the only season it has happen. I know the players play the games, but in a league with this intensity of play, the players have to have confidence in their abilities and systems. That confidence comes from the coaches and how they teach and motivate the players. I mean just look at the players that Iowa or Wisconsin has that put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket.... Coleman, Williams, Hollins, Hollins are much better players but they never even try it. The plan for Coleman is to just stand on the perimeter and pass it arround, what a waste of talent... It is the same role they had for Williams his first two years. You can't even tell if they know how to dribble the ball!

If it was just a one time occurrence, then you can put much more of the blame on the players, but it keeps happening every year.

I won't call it a collapse, yet. We still have four games.

In four games... all of the above.

Tubby gets a lot of the blame but it isn't all on him.

Andre Hollins and Austin Hollins have been sub par.

Trevor Mbakwe has a case of Elliot Elliason hands.

Joe Coleman and Rodney Williams have been nothing short of terrible.

Some things the coaches can't fix, but there is no reason we should be this bad with the athleticism on this team.

Always the over-awe for athleticism. Athleticism per se does not equate to good team basketball.

Wherever their coach sent them.

Apathetic fan base that doesn't cheer loud enough at games. Especially after the new scoreboard and ribbon boards.

Probably one of the most critical times of a game comes at half time. This is when the coaches who observed the flow of the game during the first half make adjustments and changes to turn the game their way. If we take a look at what the Gophers have done in the second half of the last 9 games, here are our point totals in those 9 games going backwards from last night debacle at Ohio State to the Northwestern game: 22, 22, 27, 23, 30, 33, 40, 20, 21. The 40 points was against Nebraska and the 33 was the first game at home against Iowa. Our shooting % in those sames games was: 29.2%, 36.2%, 36.7%, 38.0%, 36.7%, 44.9%, 54.2%, 34.8% and 33.3%. The 54.2% was the Nebraska game and the 44.9% was the first Iowa game at Williams. So you can easily look to the players for the poor shooting, but you need to also look to the coaching staff that didn't come up with anything at halftime to put the players in a position for easier shots. To all the pro Tubby people out there, yes i know this is the B1G and the defense is tougher, ya, ya , ya. My point is this coaching staff seems to always bring the team back on the court in the 2nd half without any real direction and they play the same offense and defense that they played in the 1st half, while the other teams switch things up (a new zone defense against us, a trap, a difference offensive scheme) and we are left on the losing end.

Will the student section bow to Tubby during the team intros at the Indiana game? Are we done with that yet?

The 1-3-1 zone? Bo Ryan had a hard time coaching his team against the 1-3-1. The Badgers only won by 29 @ Northwestern last night. That 1-3-1 can be suffocating though.

Top Bottom