Does the Gopher make the NCAA tournament this year?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score

It would be a lot of travel for the little guy, but I think he has the funds to make it out there and enjoy himself. Maybe meet a nice lady Gopher.

He'd have to take a leave of absence from the Love Boat, but yeah...why not.

I think if they finish 3-2 they should be good. Anything less and it's bubble time.

I'll say a 2-3 finish. Lose @osu, indy and @ purdue.

1 win in BTT and they are in. 0 win in BTT not in.

Boom Shaka Lakka

Cannot believe a team that was 15-1 and ranked number 8 in the nation has to have this conversation. I still think we will be in, but by this point in the year, I was expecting us to have it locked in and be playing for seeding.

If he wins 2 more regular season games and then wins one in the BTT, he'll be 21-12 and probably either tied for 7th or 8th in the conference. That's borderline. Tough spot for Carlos to be in.

I'm going with a 'no'. As others have said, being 15-1 and ranked 8th followed by what has happened since is an absolute train wreck. Either Tubby somehow gets the train back on track, or even games like Nebraska and Penn State are up for debate (can't believe I am saying that). In terms of expectations vs results... has there been a Gopher Basketball season that has gone worse?

has there been a Gopher Basketball season that has gone worse?

I'll play!

November 29th, 2010: 15th in AP poll after winning Puerto Rico Tip-Off by beating pre-season and final poll top-10 team North Carolina and final poll top-25 team West Virginia.

March 11th, 2010: Declined invites to CBI and CIT tournaments.

I'll play!

November 29th, 2010: 15th in AP poll after winning Puerto Rico Tip-Off by beating pre-season and final poll top-10 team North Carolina and final poll top-25 team West Virginia.

Quite similar.

Does history repeat itself? I'll have to check with Dpo.

But more seriously...personally for me it was the 1994-1995 season.

We were coming off a 2nd-round loss in the NCAA tournament the year before (and NIT championship 2 years earlier). Lenard came back for his senior year! Sam was a freshman!!

My preseason expectations were huge. We were 15th in country on November 28th. We were 12th on December 5th! 11th on December 12th!!

We ended up finishing 10-8 (tied for 5th) in the Big Ten and losing in the first round of the NCAA.

But more seriously...personally for me it was the 1994-1995 season.

We were coming off a 2nd-round loss in the NCAA tournament the year before (and NIT championship 2 years earlier). Lenard came back for his senior year! Sam was a freshman!!

My preseason expectations were huge. We were 15th in country on November 28th. We were 12th on December 5th! 11th on December 12th!!

We ended up finishing 10-8 (tied for 5th) in the Big Ten and losing in the first round of the NCAA.

I remember that well. Won the Great Alaska Shootout, which included beating #12 Arizona in the first round. Got off to a hot start on the strength of Town Orr and Chad Kolander. But Kolander suffered his annual ankle sprains during the non-con and was never fully effective after that, and Voshon was overweight and not completely mentally there after going out for the NBA draft and then returning to school. Ended the season with a whimper.

I haven't seen anyone predict a loss to PSU, so I'll just, for the sake of argument, assume that's going to be a win.

Going to Nebraska, what will they be playing for? Seeding in the Big Ten tourney?! Same with Purdue. I just think both of those teams will have already resigned themselves to hoping to do well in the BTT. And unlike the NW game that came on the heels of 2 emotional roller coaster losses that took a lot out of the team, I think that the PSU game will give them renewed confidence and hope that will carry over. We'll go up big on Nebraska early, and unlike the other games where we let the other team back in it, Nebraska just won't have the talent those other teams that came back on us had. And by the time we get to the Purdue game, a team that might have the talent to make that kind of run on us, I think we'll have even more confidence and hope with 2 wins in a row going and the drive to finish off the season with a win and solidify our NCAA tourney bound status.

Then the BTT will just be for momentum and a higher seeding. We should be about an 8 seed going into the BTT, and each win should move us up a seed or two. We'd go no higher than a #3 seed, even if we won the BTT, and that would be just fine. I couldn't imagine even the biggest negative nancies here bitching about that.

Let's go worst case and assume we finish 2-3 down the stretch beating Penn State and Nebraska. I, and almost everyone on here, will say we can do that. If this happens we are 8-10 and anywhere from a 6-8 seed in the BTT. With Iowa's schedule coming up I think they will finish with a better record than us so I see us playing Northwestern or Purdue in the first round. Again, let's assume we lose and finish the season 20-11.

Honestly I still think we get in somewhere with that.

Let's go worst case and assume we finish 2-3 down the stretch beating Penn State and Nebraska. I, and almost everyone on here, will say we can do that. If this happens we are 8-10 and anywhere from a 6-8 seed in the BTT. With Iowa's schedule coming up I think they will finish with a better record than us so I see us playing Northwestern or Purdue in the first round. Again, let's assume we lose and finish the season 20-11.

Honestly I still think we get in somewhere with that.

I think we do better than 2-3, but that is not the worst case scenario.

If someone offered a guaranteed 2-3 finish vs. playing it out right now... i would be very tempted to take the 2 wins and hope for the best in the BTT. My confidence in the team is that shaky right now. However...4-1 and esp. 3-2 isn't impossible either. Hard to know what to make of this team right now.

Very true but no matter how I look at it I don't see us losing to Penn State and I just don't see us losing @ Nebraska. I know anything is possible but even in our current state we will win those.

If someone offered a guaranteed 2-3 finish vs. playing it out right now... i would be very tempted to take the 2 wins and hope for the best in the BTT. My confidence in the team is that shaky right now. However...4-1 and esp. 3-2 isn't impossible either. Hard to know what to make of this team right now.

I really hope they do it, but if ever something was impossible in sports. This gopher team going 4-1 down the stretch is it.

I am praying for 2-3.

I really hope they do it, but if ever something was impossible in sports. This gopher team going 4-1 down the stretch is it.

I am praying for 2-3.

Execpt that OSU was brutal against WI last week. I realize we are not WI.

Execpt that OSU was brutal against WI last week. I realize we are not WI.

This is the one year where I would have never expected a quote like this. Sad how it has played out.

A lot of people out there think that OSU is ripe to get beat by us?! Not sure why they are so down on OSU right now, but they are. I think that they have been paying attention to OSU recently, and ignoring us, and don't realize how badly we've been playing. But the moral of this story, well, that OSU is vulnerable.

I personally think that OSU is going to use us like we hope to use PSU when we play them, as a springboard to get our their mojo back.

And history would say that no matter how highly rated Indiana is, and no matter how badly we are playing, we seem to have their # in these kinds of situations.

I am praying for 2-3.

If they go 1-4, do we even want them in the tourney?

With this crazy basketball year, isn't our time for a big upset? Love to win one of these next two.

If they go 1-4, do we even want them in the tourney?

With this crazy basketball year, isn't our time for a big upset? Love to win one of these next two.

Some might say our big upset already happened (Michigan State). It just so happens that we were favored in that game.

I'll play!

Wouldn't that be March 11, 2011?

Cannot believe a team that was 15-1 and ranked number 8 in the nation has to have this conversation. I still think we will be in, but by this point in the year, I was expecting us to have it locked in and be playing for seeding.

Right. A similar thing happened several years ago. Alabama went from #1 to bubble team and were one of the last teams to make the tournament.

Will they make the NIT is another question. Could still end up 6-12 in the big ten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom