CBS: Meet Dan Gavitt, the new czar of the NCAA tournament

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the article:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...an-gavitt-the-new-czar-of-the-ncaa-tournament

Although he has been on the job for less than one year, the primary thing that he has tackled is improving the fan experience at the NCAA tournament and at the Final Four. The essence of college basketball is the student sections and the fact the players are also students.

Gavitt wants to showcase that in the postseason.

“One of the things that we've done is we have moved fans closer to the court,” he said. “Home courts in college basketball are essentially a special experience, and you can't completely replicate that in a tournament atmosphere, nor should you. We're hoping to improve the atmosphere and excitement around the court, both for fans in the venue and the fans watching on TV.”

Another focus of Gavitt's early time on the job has been the expanded importance of the regular season and how to make it as much of a focus of the college basketball season as the NCAA tournament.

Of course, there is no question that the NCAA tournament is the highlight of the five-month sprint that is the college hoops season. The entire year boils down to a three-week spectacle in March and April, and it's something that fans start looking at beginning around Christmas time and sometimes even earlier. For some people, that's not a problem -- but others think the regular season has been pushed too far to the backburner.

Some have even said college basketball is undergoing a Marchification.

“I think it's a very important discussion to have,” Gavitt said. “When I think of college basketball, I think of college basketball overall. And keeping college basketball healthy, and clearly that starts in November and now and goes through April. It's important for everyone in college basketball to make it [a six-month thing]. The NCAA has the potential to play a role to help improve and guard the importance of the regular season in college basketball.”

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom