Time For Tubby To Offer 2014 6'5" JP Macura from Lakeville North

THE SCOUT!

Reaction score
Just Lit up Apple Valley for about 40 tonight and 26ppg. Quick release Zone Buster who can also Slash. Final stats 39 points and 12 rebounds vs number one Apple Valley

Just Lit up Apple Valley for about 40 tonight and 26ppg. Quick release Zone Buster who can also Slash. Final stats 39 points and 12 rebounds vs number one Apple Valley

I am sure that Tubby will follow this up with an offer after he talks to you tomorrow. THE DR.DON.

Sounds like there is some good talent in the 2014 class even beyond the big 3.

Hoop Dreams is correct. Kid is good! Plays smart....too smart to play in the crappy minn system.

http://gopherreport.wix.com/home#!basketball/c1yws

Q&A with JP Macura - talks Creighton visit, AAU season, and more

After helping lead the Panthers to a 30-2 record last year, Lakeville North's junior guard is scoring 24.1 points per game this year. Macura took an unofficial visit to Creighton last week.

Q: Tell me about your visit to Creighton.
A: It was really fun. I really enjoyed the crowd. There was so many people in attendance; it was just a packed house. They’re always supporting the players. They also have really nice facilities. Their weight room is nice. I didn’t get a chance to talk with all the coaches, but (the coaches I talked with) seemed nice.
Q: Do you have an offer from Creighton?
A: No, I don’t. They’re just interested.
Q: How many offers are you up to?
A: I have eleven: North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Milwaukee, Northern Colorado, Wyoming, Vermont, Toledo, St. Louis, Utah State…I think that’s it.
Q: You’re scoring a lot of points this year for Lakeville North? Do you think your recruitment has picked up due to your stats?
A: Maybe a little bit. Maybe a few coaches have been hearing about it and given me a call. Most coaches just text me after games and tell me I had a good game, because they’re checking MN Basketball Hub or some website.
Q: How do you think your season went with Pump N Run?
A: I think it went really good. We had a good season; we had a good record. I’m pretty sure I’m playing with them this summer.
Q: Are you hearing a lot from the Gophers?
A: Yeah. When I went to the game, they just told me to continue what I’m doing – to continue scoring and winning. They said to get back to the state tournament like last year.
Q: Do you have any favorites yet?
A: I haven’t really decided who my favorites are. I’m trying to get to most of the schools. I’ve been to Wyoming, Northern Colorado, North Dakota, North Dakota State. I’ve been to Saint Louis, too. I’m going to Utah State with Carson Shanks and his dad.
Q: Who have you talked with from the Minnesota staff most? Have you developed a relationship with any of the coaches?
A: Not really. The coach I’ve talked to the most is Ron Jirsa.
Q: Have you thought much about what you’re looking for when making a college decision?
A: I want to be able to get along with the coaches and players. A place that feels like home – you treat them well and they treat you well.
Q: Do you know what you want to major in?
A: I haven’t really thought about that yet, but I kind of want to do something with business.
Q: Did you have a favorite team growing up?
A: For football, it was USC.
Q: Would it mean a lot to play in-state at Minnesota?
A: Yeah, I think it’d be fun. My parents would be able to go to every home game. I think it’d be great.
Q: Are you working on anything to improve skill-wise?
A: Tomorrow I’m shooting with my AAU coach from last year. Just shoot with him, get the basics of my shot down, practice routine, and keep shooting.
Q: Do you have any goals?
A: This year our goal is to get to the State Tournament again. It’s the same for next year; I think we can get there.

I got to see him play tonight, and he was very impressive. He just looks like an average kid - and he then shocks you by lighting it up. Great shot, obviously. Apple Valley even know how good he was, they still couldn't stop him, he had 39 points and 12 boards tonight. Colorado State was there recruiting him tonight.

A friend asked me after the game if the Gophers should offer him - I'm not one to say after seeing a kid play only once (call me crazy to not jump to conclusions without seeing his body of work) - for those of you that have followed his career, do you think we should?

I got to see him play tonight, and he was very impressive. He just looks like an average kid - and he then shocks you by lighting it up. Great shot, obviously. Apple Valley even know how good he was, they still couldn't stop him, he had 39 points and 12 boards tonight. Colorado State was there recruiting him tonight.

A friend asked me after the game if the Gophers should offer him - I'm not one to say after seeing a kid play only once (call me crazy to not jump to conclusions without seeing his body of work) - for those of you that have followed his career, do you think we should?

Need to see how he does this spring/summer. Definitely someone the Gophers should be monitoring.

"He just looks like an average kid - and he then shocks you by lighting it up" - I didn't see the game tonight, so don't know if he also showed this, but I think he's got a good competitive fire as well. Will get aggressive at times - obviously an excellent shooter, but at the mid major level I think he's got the ability and makeup to be more than that.

Should be an exciting spring/summer for him. Really enjoy watching him play.

Not a very impressive offer list. Not one major program has made an offer. Not rated well on scouting sites. The gopher hole would melt down if tubby offered this kid. But then if he does go and play at north dakota state and lights up smaller school talent then the gopher hole will claim tubby missed out on another kid even though he wasn't looked at by any top programs.

That being said, I have never seen him play but he sounds like a solid HS player.

Not a very impressive offer list. Not one major program has made an offer. Not rated well on scouting sites. The gopher hole would melt down if tubby offered this kid. But then if he does go and play at north dakota state and lights up smaller school talent then the gopher hole will claim tubby missed out on another kid even though he wasn't looked at by any top programs.

That being said, I have never seen him play but he sounds like a solid HS player.

The Gopher Hole will melt down if he offers..or if he does well at college we will melt down that we didn't offer. F&cking Tubby!!

The Gopher Hole will melt down if he offers..or if he does well at college we will melt down that we didn't offer. F&cking Tubby!!

No matter what the result, tubby is the man!

If the kid can shoot, Tubby will never give him an offer...:p

Winning is the answer. You have to periodically field a club that goes over .500 in the Big Ten and the melt down factor lessens. Just win a little- there would still be complaining but it would be much less. No one is expecting Duke here.

Winning is the answer. You have to periodically field a club that goes over .500 in the Big Ten and the melt down factor lessens. Just win a little- there would still be complaining but it would be much less. No one is expecting Duke here.

Speak for yourself beeg. I was thinking more like UCLA, circa 1966-1975! :p

Need to see how he does this spring/summer. Definitely someone the Gophers should be monitoring.

"He just looks like an average kid - and he then shocks you by lighting it up" - I didn't see the game tonight, so don't know if he also showed this, but I think he's got a good competitive fire as well. Will get aggressive at times - obviously an excellent shooter, but at the mid major level I think he's got the ability and makeup to be more than that.

Should be an exciting spring/summer for him. Really enjoy watching him play.

I agree. I don't want to sound negative because it is a shooting problem that is fixable, but why in the world haven't his coaches worked with him to get his release point up? That said, I like the kid alot.

Saw JP play against Apple Valley earlier this year. He can score in H.S., but I question if he'd ever get his shot off against Big 10 caliber defenders. I am not sure if he is a good enough athlete to play defense against 2 guards or SF's playing for Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, etc.

No doubt the kid can shoot though. He'd be an 8th/9th man at best at the U. From what I've seen, Alvin Ellis would absolutely light this kid up. Tubby seems to prefer recruiting athletes that can play basketball, not basketball players that need to develop into better athletes. Just my opinion.

JP sounds like a nice player but obviously he should only be considered if we miss out on Rashad Vaughn

ESPN rates him JP top 250 just the same as Ellis and Foster. JP is fast rising player and is a local product. Gophers this season are a object example of athleticism without high skill level and basketball sense as being over rated. JP has more length and better wheels than Hoffarber. Look for him to team up with Jarvis Johnson, Reid Travis, and Ian Theisen for Pump n Run AAU this April. Curious to see if Henry Ellenson will play up like Jarvis or play 16U this spring

ESPN rates him JP top 250 just the same as Ellis and Foster. JP is fast rising player and is a local product. Gophers this season are a object example of athleticism without high skill level and basketball sense as being over rated. JP has more length and better wheels than Hoffarber. Look for him to team up with Jarvis Johnson, Reid Travis, and Ian Theisen for Pump n Run AAU this April. Curious to see if Henry Ellenson will play up like Jarvis or play 16U this spring

I think Andrew Wiggins is also top 250. If Paul Friendshuh is still with Pump N Run I bet Henry plays 16s. They like to play big guys, but 4 good ones might be too many when you can easily play Henry a lot on 16s without sacrificing the older players' playing time.

Henry better player right now than Paul and maybe Ian, however Pump will likely keep him on the Loaded 16's team With Brock, Marshawn Wilson, and Amir Coffey. Wiggins more like top 1. Ellis,Foster,and Macura all rated between 48th and 53rd at their respective position by ESPN.

Henry better player right now than Paul and maybe Ian, however Pump will likely keep him on the Loaded 16's team With Brock, Marshawn Wilson, and Amir Coffey. Wiggins more like top 1. Ellis,Foster,and Macura all rated between 48th and 53rd at their respective position by ESPN.

Henry definitely better player than them, but will likely play 16s like you said. Anyone in the range of 1-250 is top 250. Was just giving you a hard time.

Speak for yourself beeg. I was thinking more like UCLA, circa 1966-1975! :p

Well now you are just accepting mediocrity.

I don't see why Tubby shouldn't have us as a hybrid of Duke, UK, UNC, UCLA, and Indiana all rolled up into one. Those are the expectations.

I agree. I don't want to sound negative because it is a shooting problem that is fixable, but why in the world haven't his coaches worked with him to get his release point up? That said, I like the kid alot.

It depends. If his release is quick enough the release point doesn't matter as much (see: Allen, Ray)

Can't really have a low and slow release in the Big 10 or NBA though unless you have some other skills to get your shot off (height, quickness, fadeaway, etc. )

Saw JP play against Apple Valley earlier this year. He can score in H.S., but I question if he'd ever get his shot off against Big 10 caliber defenders. I am not sure if he is a good enough athlete to play defense against 2 guards or SF's playing for Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, etc.

No doubt the kid can shoot though. He'd be an 8th/9th man at best at the U. From what I've seen, Alvin Ellis would absolutely light this kid up. Tubby seems to prefer recruiting athletes that can play basketball, not basketball players that need to develop into better athletes. Just my opinion.
Good point- Tubby's history seems to trend that way. Given our current team, it might be nice to have a shooter as the 8th/9th man that provides more balance to a team that struggles to shoot from the wing.

By the same token, you can't have 13 role players. Star power is necessary in the 2014 class, but I wouldn't mind having JP in the fold if Tubby land 1-2 of the "Big 3" MN recruits.

The Gophers real problem is lack of athelticism after the top 5 players. Welch and Maverick are just sooooooo sloooooooooooooooooooow.

Heard Jarvis is playing 16u this Spring/Summer

Ian putting up 18 and 11 for Osseo comparable numbers to Henry for 1OTH rated second division school in Wisc. Jarvis started last year playing up and is the top Point Guard in PumpnRun stable. Other Then Dembly from Holy Angels the 17U pump n run is lacking at the pg spot

Top Bottom