Divisional play for most Big 10 sports?

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Take this for what it's worth, but my someone I know was at a Michigan State fundraiser (in Fla.) within the last few days, where AD Mark Hollis and Sparty D-coordinator Pat Narduzzi among others were in attendance. Some things he gleamed from the outing:

1. Sometime in March or April the Big Ten will announce its plans to go to divisional play in a lot of sports (no longer just football). Basketball and baseball weren't specifically mentioned, but from what he gleamed those sports will be among those going to divisional play. Not sure when it would go into affect, but it's safe to assume it will occur when Maryland and Rutgers (and perhaps a couple others) join the Big Ten in 2014.

2. Hollis said it's a done deal that in 2017-18 season there will be a mega 16- to 24-team early-season basketball extravaganza honoring Nike founder Phil Knight's 80th birthday (in February 2018). Not sure if it will be held over one or two days, but it will be at two separate locations. It's not a tournament but will be a who's who of college hoops. Michigan State, Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Oregon (obviously) are among those already committed to the event. My understanding is this is not the same event we heard about earlier, the one where there'd be multiple games going on at the same site. Minnesota was not mentioned as one of the participants, though there will be more than one Big Ten school.

3. Sounds like MSU expects to lose Narduzzi to a head coaching job in the very near future. If he sticks around, it's very apparent he's the coach in waiting behind Mark Dantonio.

4. Things were tight-lipped on the new divisional formats for football, though it sounds like MSU would be interested in going to the "Central Time Zone" Division (to even the divisons) if that's the route Delany and the B1G presidents decide to go.

Divisions only make sense. With the large number of teams and the travel distance(thinking UVA AND UNC) especially for the non-revenue sports.

Does that mean there would not be a regular season champion for basketball? Can't see them having a play-off game(s) before the BTT. That would be a real switch.

The first divisional championship banner could be a real collector's item.

Yes, I would assume there would be divisional champions for hoops (like the SEC used to do for basketball), though I suspect for the Big Ten Tournament the two divisional champs would be the top 2 seeds, and then from #3 on down they'd be seeded by conference record.

I hope the top twelve teams qualify for the B1G tournament.

A 14 team tournament would probably mean double byes for the top seeds.

Why not just the top 2 with byes.

3 vs 14, 4 vs 13, etc.

One can only play so many games in one day at a site. The MSHSL does it at Target Center and Williams Arena on the Wednesday of the state tournament, but with TV and revenue considerations, six college games in one day at one site is not possible.

I don't like divisions for basketball - you will only make it harder to have a legitimate regular season champion with divisions. Jim Delany himself has stated he doesn't think divisions make sense for basketball in the past. The SEC had divisions in the past, and in many years the two divisions were very different in terms of strength. Unfortunately with expansion there is likely to be even more teams that are only going to be playing each other once per year, and each instance of that makes it harder to say you have a true regular season champion, so divisions or no there is going to be more imbalance in the conference schedule strength. But I just don't like the idea of divisions for basketball.

It was reported last summer that OSU was going to be in that Nike tourney for Phil Knight's 80th.

The entire transformation of the conferences stinks. Yes money talks but damn, I miss the old big ten.....with just ten. Play everyone twice.

Top Bottom