Henry Sibley upset

maroonfive

Reaction score
(lol), player of the year heading to Becky done (lol). Too bad so sad.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And this Bruesewitz, the "Player of the Year," their star player, the guy who scored 22 pts and 15 rebs or whatever it was today...transferred there last year from Litchfield. Where is the outrage?

Same thing with Washburn this year, numerous star players on the team that is now in the state semifinals in 3A...transferred to Washburn, including their 2nd leading scorer Hale, who transferred there this year.

St. Paul Johnson, who is in the 3A state tourney: 3 transfer players on this year's team.

Cooper (#2 in the state most of the year) and their leading scorer Bright; numerous transfers from north Minneapolis.

Osseo, who is also in the state semi's in 4A, their point guard Aaron Anderson...LEFT Hopkins last year and transferred to Osseo.

Do we hear about these successful teams playing in the state tourney and their numerous transfers? Nope.

And this Bruesewitz, the "Player of the Year," their star player, the guy who scored 22 pts and 15 rebs or whatever it was today...transferred there last year from Litchfield. Where is the outrage?

Same thing with Washburn this year, numerous star players on the team that is now in the state semifinals in 3A...transferred to Washburn, including their 2nd leading scorer Hale, who transferred there this year.

St. Paul Johnson, who is in the 3A state tourney: 3 transfer players on this year's team.

Cooper (#2 in the state most of the year) and their leading scorer Bright; numerous transfers from north Minneapolis.

Osseo, who is also in the state semi's in 4A, their point guard Aaron Anderson...LEFT Hopkins last year and transferred to Osseo.

Do we hear about these successful teams playing in the state tourney and their numerous transfers? Nope.

SGL,
I think the point that the papers and "anti-Hopkins" people are trying to make is that Hopkins has been getting these transfers every year for around a decade now. Everybody knows that there are going to be players who decide to transfer every year for different reasons. But, when every year the same school is getting these players, claims of wrong-doing are going to be made.

Also, Cooper isn't in the tourney.... and Anderson at least transferred back to his home school where he originally transferred to hopkins from.

That's because Hopkins gets these transfers EVERY YEAR almost.
With 3 exceptions over 10 years of Royce this year (who got kicked out of DeLaSalle), Coleman 6 years ago, and Vandervieren, every player that I can remember that "transferred" to Hopkins did so before the 9th grade, usually the 7th or 8th grade (Humphries, Clarke, Cowels, Broghammer, etc.).

If kids transferred there that early (7th & 8th grade), I'd say the system probably made them into the players they ended up being more so than their talents they had as a 13-14 year old.

With 3 exceptions over 10 years of Royce this year (who got kicked out of DeLaSalle), Coleman 6 years ago, and Vandervieren, every player that I can remember that "transferred" to Hopkins did so before the 9th grade, usually the 7th or 8th grade (Humphries, Clarke, Cowels, Broghammer, etc.).

If kids transferred there that early (7th & 8th grade), I'd say the system probably made them into the players they ended up being more so than their talents they had as a 13-14 year old.

Your numbers are off, but regardless of that - you make this case like this is somehow more noble.

That Novak Sr and the "friends of the program" are working the youth tournaments and summer camps and open gyms is not only unethical, it's pathetic.

Don't defend Hopkins. Bask in their soul-selling glory if you like. But don't defend them. It makes you look like a fool.

Your numbers are off, but regardless of that - you make this case like this is somehow more noble.

That Novak Sr and the "friends of the program" are working the youth tournaments and summer camps and open gyms is not only unethical, it's pathetic.

Don't defend Hopkins. Bask in their soul-selling glory if you like. But don't defend them. It makes you look like a fool.

Post of the year.

The players are stand outs in junior high. Yes, they finish the development but they are already better than everybody else.

They really aren't.

The bottom line is that the nearly every team that has won or competed for state titles in the past 10 years has had transfers on their teams. Just off the top of my head I can name Osseo, Minnetonka, Tartan, Cooper, CDH, Sibley, Johnson, Hopkins, Eastview, Chaska, North, Henry, Washburn, Benilde, DeLaSalle, MTS, St. Bernard's, etc.; all teams that have had transfers make a huge impact in leading their teams to success.

It's even worse with hockey.

Pretending that it's just one district that is successful with transfer players is a joke, and anyone that doesn't think so is a fool.

POY my *ss. Henry Sibley had the ball down 2 with less than a minute to play and Bruesewitz brought the ball up court with no consideration of passing the ball. In the process of hogging the ball he committed the key turnover that essentially ended the game when Jefferson hit their free throws.

Really great to see the Jefferson and the Alipates get a win in the state tourney. :)

They really aren't.

The bottom line is that the nearly every team that has won or competed for state titles in the past 10 years has had transfers on their teams. Just off the top of my head I can name Osseo, Minnetonka, Tartan, Cooper, CDH, Sibley, Johnson, Hopkins, Eastview, Chaska, North, Henry, Washburn, Benilde, DeLaSalle, MTS, St. Bernard's, etc.; all teams that have had transfers make a huge impact in leading their teams to success.

It's even worse with hockey.

Pretending that it's just one district that is successful with transfer players is a joke, and anyone that doesn't think so is a fool.

Aren't ALL kids who attend private schools transfers?

QUOTE]

it is probably because his transfer was legit. his dad got transferred to the cities for work and they moved here. it was not to go some place he could win a championship or get noticed because they already know how to do that in litchfield.

jefferson did a great job spreading the floor on the offensive end and controlling the tempo today. nice win.

it is probably because his transfer was legit. his dad got transferred to the cities for work and they moved here..
Regardless of how he got there...the end result was the same. Is it any different than Royce White moving to Hopkins for their education and basketball team? He was kicked out of his school, and had to go somewhere else.

A transfer is a transfer. People can justify it any way they want; the bottom line is that Bruesewitz transferred into a new school and took some kid's spot that was already on the team that had probably grown up playing with the Sibley players.

It happens all over the state of MN, and it's life. Again, to pretend it's just one school, or one sport is just ridiculous.

Transfer

Seriously? The intent and circumstances are irrelevant?

Kelvin Sampson left Oklahoma to go to Indiana and Tubby Smith left Kentucky to go to Minnesota. Regardless of how he got there, the result was the same. Kelvin committed recruiting violations and got Oklahoma put on probation and had to go somewhere else.

A coaching move is a coaching move. People can justify it any way they want; the bottom line is that Tubby Smith went to a new school and took Mike Davis that had been coaching the team and had been coaching the Indiana players for years.

Regardless of how he got there...the end result was the same. Is it any different than Royce White moving to Hopkins for their education and basketball team? He was kicked out of his school, and had to go somewhere else.

A transfer is a transfer. People can justify it any way they want; the bottom line is that Bruesewitz transferred into a new school and took some kid's spot that was already on the team that had probably grown up playing with the Sibley players.

It happens all over the state of MN, and it's life. Again, to pretend it's just one school, or one sport is just ridiculous.

I just said that because the Star Tribune gave him that honor yesterday.

I took what you said as mocking their selection (commenting that he is done in the first round) and I was also mocking their selection. All that I know is that when the POY has the ball in his hands against a lesser opponent when th game is on the line he is supposed to make the play. If he can't, he clearly isn't the POY.

Royce is clearly the most talented player in the state. I was a lot more impressed with Dower from Osseo (Gonzaga commit) than I was Bruesewitz. I will say that Bruesewitz looked like your typical Badger, although slightly more athletic.

just trying to understand where you are coming from on this issue. are you saying if you got transferred to a completely different part of the state in which you had to move you would want your child to not live with you anymore because of basketball? your comparison seems kind of ridiculous to me. so should we not allow families to move to new cities anymore to improve their life?

the situation is completely different when a kids family moves for the family and not his basketball career.

The point is

that Sibley lost, their star player is going to Wisconsin, and Wisconsin sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did play-by-play for the game today

for Bloomington TV. Bruesewitz is a nice, typical Bo Ryan guy. He is 6'7 can play in the post but also drive by bigs out top and shoot from distance. He had a good game with 21 points and 16 boards. The problem was his teammates.

On the last play as they were down 1 he drove in and had a guy named Hernandez open in the corner. Ellis Libby for Jefferson left him alone to double Bruesewitz and I think normally Mike would have kicked it to him....but the problem was that Hernandez was 1-11 from 3 pt range, so Mike kept it, Libby got the tie-up, and the Jags went up 2.

On the next possession - same thing. Bruesewitz drove in, had a different guy wide open in the corner and kicked it to him for the wide-open 3. But the guy fumbled it, Jefferson got it and sealed the game.

Bruesewitz was fine but his supporting cast was awful as they combined to go 2-16 on threes and 7-14 from the FT line - not to mention 16 turnovers.

One more note from the game:

I interviewed Moses Alipate after the game. He was so glad he stuck around to play a final season of B-Ball with his brother instead of early enrolling. He said it was a magical moment and loved his teammates and the way they performed - crediting them with the win.

I am more and more impressed with him as a leader and person each time I talk to him.

One more note from the game:

I interviewed Moses Alipate after the game. He was so glad he stuck around to play a final season of B-Ball with his brother instead of early enrolling. He said it was a magical moment and loved his teammates and the way they performed - crediting them with the win.

I am more and more impressed with him as a leader and person each time I talk to him.
Sounds good...how is expected to be as a QB for the Gophers? Is he highly rated?

He is highly rated - but as a QB I think he is overrated. I am in the vast minority on this board because people on this board want all of our recruits to be the next Reggie Bush - but to be as realistic as possible as I try to be, especially since I have seen him play 3 years at QB I would be surprised (and slightly nervous) if he were to be our starting QB. I do think there is a place on the team for him to succeed, but I don't think it is at QB.

I know I am not a "professional evaluator of talent" and I know his supporting cast wasn't that great at Jefferson.....I get it. Those are always the comebacks to one of these posts.

All I can say is that I've seen him in action more than 99% people on this board - so we'll see what happens.

He is highly rated - but as a QB I think he is overrated. I am in the vast minority on this board because people on this board want all of our recruits to be the next Reggie Bush - but to be as realistic as possible as I try to be, especially since I have seen him play 3 years at QB I would be surprised (and slightly nervous) if he were to be our starting QB. I do think there is a place on the team for him to succeed, but I don't think it is at QB.

I know I am not a "professional evaluator of talent" and I know his supporting cast wasn't that great at Jefferson.....I get it. Those are always the comebacks to one of these posts.

All I can say is that I've seen him in action more than 99% people on this board - so we'll see what happens.

I've never seen him play in person, but I think the reason he's rated as highly as he is is based mostly off of his raw potential. He's already NFL size for a quarterback, has great athletic ability and a very strong arm. ESPN says he has the most raw talent in the country. I'm not necessarily saying he's going to be a great player, but the potential is there.

He better play QB because I'm not sure where else he would play. He's not fast enough to play anywhere else. I haven't seen him play once but if the gophers coaches saw him in camp and decided he could play enough where he's the only QB they recruited in his class, I'm fine with that.

Great game today against Sibley for the Jefferson kids. As for Bruesewitz giving up the ball, that kid was not wide open. And that kid is also NOT a shooter so I have no idea why he would give it to him there. Poor play and decision for Brue. Can't believe he let his h.s. career come down to that kid having the ball 25 ft. from the basket. Horrible decision.

With the arm he has and throws he is able to make I'd be shocked if they were to move him elsewhere.

Top Bottom