MN Daily on Mbakwe: "What’s most troubling is his lack of accountability."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Daily:

Statistically, Mbakwe’s struggles are equally as puzzling. He averages fewer points and rebounds than he did two years ago, and his field-goal and free-throw percentages are down.

But what’s most troubling is his lack of accountability.

Mbakwe frequently says on Twitter that he’s motivated by people who doubt him. That list is growing longer each day.

He tweeted in November that he’d refund his scholarship if the Gophers missed the NCAA tournament. That offer would be more concerning if not for sophomore point guard Andre Hollins’ stellar play.

And like his coach, Mbakwe defers blame. He knows he’s capable of playing better, yet his postgame comments reek of confusion, irritation and excuse-making.

Mbakwe’s future won’t be so bright. His NBA draft stock has already fallen, and unless he improves it, he’ll have to overachieve to earn a multi-year contract. As an undersized power forward, he’s not built to succeed in the NBA.

http://www.mndaily.com/2013/02/19/mbakwe-must-finish-business-now

Go Gophers!!

That Armitz kid is such a dweeb. Always hard to read. But he's getting to a point.

per the Daily:

Statistically, Mbakwe’s struggles are equally as puzzling. He averages fewer points and rebounds than he did two years ago, and his field-goal and free-throw percentages are down.

Nothing puzzling about his statistics. They are largely the same. The difference in FG and FT percentages are not statistically significant in the slightest.

He's averaging fewer minutes. His rebounds per minutes are actually higher and his offensive rebounding % is far better than two years ago.

The modestly lower average points per minute can be explained mostly by him taking fewer shots (which is an issue with the team / offense), not shooting percentages.

My biggest gripes with his numbers would be (1) he didn't/doesn't get enough playing time and (2) the coaches need to make sure he gets the ball more often. His numbers are actually quite comparable to two season ago.

I could give a rat's a$$ about his numbers. There is no one on the current roster capable of giving what TM does. Not one and next year it will really show.

GW's right. Back to the eye test - Trevor is working harder than anyone else on the team, especially on defense, where he's excelling.

That said, he has taken a step back while recovering from his injury. It'll take some more doing to equal the level he was playing at early last year before getting hurt. And I do agree with the complaint about his free throw shooting. There's no reason he can't be on an upward arc of improvement there.

Having a point guard/offense that would be more efficient getting Trevor the ball in better positions would do wonders for his offensive stats.

Shouldn't there be umm, you know, once example demonstrating lack of accountability or defering blame?

But yay for page views?

When I saw the title, I thought huh? Considering the knee injury the guy has been performing and producing. Keep finding a way to feed Trevor.

When I saw the title, I thought huh? Considering the knee injury the guy has been performing and producing. Keep finding a way to feed Trevor.

Haha, well maybe that's exactly what he's trying to do here. We could use a jump start, couldn't we?

Horrendous article. Mbakwe has looked more like a freshman than a vet? Wow. God forbid he take minutes or shot attempts into account. He's had almost an identical yr, just with fewer turnovers and fewer shots since we never get him the damn ball when he's down low.

If the Gophs had 10 guys that bring it like Mbakwe they'd be a much better team.

He's coming off an ACL injury! Look at Rubio, it's a well known fact that your first year back is a struggle. It isn't until your second year that you return to your normal form so I think Trev's doing quite well given the circumstances.

He's coming off an ACL injury! Look at Rubio, it's a well known fact that your first year back is a struggle. It isn't until your second year that you return to your normal form so I think Trev's doing quite well given the circumstances.

But Adrien Peterson!!!!!

Top Bottom