Cal coach shoves player, reprimanded by Pac 12

Cobbs has a front row seat to the action:

Go Gophers!!

Unbelievable how soft athletes have gotten. I've been shoved that hard by countless hockey coaches and assistant coaches in high school, and up until seeing this video and article, it had never even occurred to me that someone might have considered it inappropriate. I liked Solomon and Cobbs getting in there to tell him to chill and be a ball player.

Coaches often do this kind of crap to show everyone that whatever is happening is not their fault. Not like the kid can take a shot at his coach when his coach makes a mistake.

Kinda a freaky how people who have been abused will excuse stuff like this. Easier to excuse an abusive coach, spouse, parent than to see that that relationship was messed up.

Hey maybe I'm the only one but a young black man being shoved by an old white man echoes too much of America's racial problems. Not saying Montgomery is motivated by that by any means but if you are a young black man in this country and this happens to you, I just can't see how you can let that happen without reacting. The kid showed enormous cool by walking away and Montgomery showed something by getting him back in the game.

Coaches often do this kind of crap to show everyone that whatever is happening is not their fault. Not like the kid can take a shot at his coach when his coach makes a mistake.

I understand your side, but I'm assuming you weren't watching the game. The kid was sulking up and down the floor and Montgomery called him out on it by saying something of the sorts "Do you even want to play/be here?". Was it out of line? Yes. But if a player did that to the kid no one would have thought differently. Props to him for coming back in and winning the game and for moving on. It probably saved Montgomery his job.

Kinda a freaky how people who have been abused will excuse stuff like this. Easier to excuse an abusive coach, spouse, parent than to see that that relationship was messed up.

Hey maybe I'm the only one but a young black man being shoved by an old white man echoes too much of America's racial problems. Not saying Montgomery is motivated by that by any means but if you are a young black man in this country and this happens to you, I just can't see how you can let that happen without reacting. The kid showed enormous cool by walking away and Montgomery showed something by getting him back in the game.

Its fair to disagree with me on the appropriateness of this, but I think it is really unfair to Montgomery to suggest that this was a racial thing without any more reason to believe it is.

".... [B]a young black man being shoved by an old white man[/B] echoes too much of America's racial problems. Not saying Montgomery is motivated by that by any means but if you are a young black man in this country and this happens to you, I just can't see how you can let that happen without reacting. The kid showed enormous cool by walking away and Montgomery showed something by getting him back in the game."

FU you winny little victim!!

Its fair to disagree with me on the appropriateness of this, but I think it is really unfair to Montgomery to suggest that this was a racial thing without any more reason to believe it is.

I think you are missing my point. I'm not accusing Montgomery of being motivated by race but I am speculating that it could be harder for a young black man to be abused in this way because of our racial problems. Blacks were (are?) called "boy" to disparage them but also to emphasize their powerlessness by not being able to respond. I don't pretend to know what the kid was thinking but there's a lot of racial baggage when you see an old white man in a position of power do this to a pretty powerless black man.

I think you are missing my point. I'm not accusing Montgomery of being motivated by race but I am speculating that it could be harder for a young black man to be abused in this way because of our racial problems. Blacks were (are?) called "boy" to disparage them but also to emphasize their powerlessness by not being able to respond. I don't pretend to know what the kid was thinking but there's a lot of racial baggage when you see an old white man in a position of power do this to a pretty powerless black man.

It was a spontaneous act. To bring race into the discussion is ridiculous. The problem is not a white man abusing a younger black man, but a coach abusing a player. You think the coach would have acted differently with a sulking white player? He would have done the same thing.

meh, wasn't that bad and certainly not symbolic of deteriorating race relations in post-modern america, and I'm always on the look out for deteriorating race relations in post-modern america.

It was nothing too crazy, but I am pretty surprised that he wasn't given at least a one game suspension just for the principle of the thing. You can't shove a player. You just can't. I mean, he can't shove you back (or, if he did, he'd be gone, off the team- or worse).

Somewhere Latrell Sprewell is wondering what all the fuss is about.

It was nothing too crazy, but I am pretty surprised that he wasn't given at least a one game suspension just for the principle of the thing. You can't shove a player. You just can't. I mean, he can't shove you back (or, if he did, he'd be gone, off the team- or worse).

But that is the nature of superior-subordinate relationships. Whether it is coach-player or boss-employee, there are plenty of things that a coach/boss can say or do to a player/employee that would send the player/employee packing if the the player/employee said that to the coach/boss. Obviously, in a business setting, shoving an employee like that would be inappropriate and get the boss fired. I think fair minds can differ on whether or not a coach should be allowed to shove a player like that (I personally think it was a light and innocuous enough shove that in the environment of competitive, physical sports, I have no problem with it, nor do I have a problem with a coach who says "I would never do that"), but I think it is incorrect to say that it is inappropriate just because the player can't do it back. If that were the standard, yelling at players would also be banned.

But that is the nature of superior-subordinate relationships. Whether it is coach-player or boss-employee, there are plenty of things that a coach/boss can say or do to a player/employee that would send the player/employee packing if the the player/employee said that to the coach/boss. Obviously, in a business setting, shoving an employee like that would be inappropriate and get the boss fired. I think fair minds can differ on whether or not a coach should be allowed to shove a player like that (I personally think it was a light and innocuous enough shove that in the environment of competitive, physical sports, I have no problem with it, nor do I have a problem with a coach who says "I would never do that"), but I think it is incorrect to say that it is inappropriate just because the player can't do it back. If that were the standard, yelling at players would also be banned.

Good analogy. I see where you're coming from, but I think the last sentence is incorrect- players do yell at coaches, for sure. It is frowned upon though.

I guess I still feel like he should've been suspended for a game. I found it inappropriate, and I would not be pleased if that were my son. However, it's fine if you (or anyone, for that matter) disagrees and I can at least understand where you're coming from. Reasonable minds can differ on this.

Showing bias towards both race and age.........or would you prefer profiling.

Bad decision by a good man with a squeaky clean track record. Montgomery shouldn't have done it, but much ado about nothing. Pac 12 did the right thing with a reprimand, no suspension necessary. Move on.

Bad decision by a good man with a squeaky clean track record. Montgomery shouldn't have done it, but much ado about nothing. Pac 12 did the right thing with a reprimand, no suspension necessary. Move on.

Thank you, SS. GH commentors, on occasion, do have a tendency to over analyze things.

+1. It does matter who was involved. Montgomery's been around a long time and never had anything like this happen. It's different when it's Bobby Knight and the 10th time he's done something similar.

Am I the only one that thinks this is getting blown out of proportion? I wouldnt even consider this a shove. The player didnt fall down or even move backwards. He was stopped in his tracks and yelled at for a piss poor effort on the court. If you cannot handle something that minor, I feel bad for you. Kids these days are babied way too much, and it is getting really annoying.

Am I the only one that thinks this is getting blown out of proportion? I wouldnt even consider this a shove. The player didnt fall down or even move backwards. He was stopped in his tracks and yelled at for a piss poor effort on the court. If you cannot handle something that minor, I feel bad for you. Kids these days are babied way too much, and it is getting really annoying.

Totally agree. However, when an athlete's mother's bff is upset, we have to accommodate her so her feelings don't get hurt.

Top Bottom