STrib: Gophers wrestler ineligible because of his music career

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Given the choice between wrestling and music — a decision made necessary by an NCAA by-law — Gophers redshirt sophomore Joel Bauman is choosing music.

As a result, Bauman is ineligible to compete in meets, the school confirmed Monday, because his budding music career is in conflict with NCAA compliance rules. He is still on athletic scholarship and can practice with the team.

“The dream is to inspire people,” Bauman said Monday afternoon. “I know through music that’s all I’m trying to do. My message is way bigger than my eligibility.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/191733761.html

Go Gophers!!

tom zibikowski getting 25k for a boxing match while still a notre dame football player is cool though.

Time to part ways with the NCAA in my opinion. What petty bs. What does his being a gifted musician have to do with his athletic career? I can understand maybe not allowing him to reference the Univ of Minnesota, or his being on the team, but telling him he has to go by a pseudonym?! Here's hoping that one thing that comes out of all of the conference expansion is the big major conferences breaking away from the NCAA.

He was just interviewed on The Daily Show about it.

It's a pretty ridiculous rule that should be changed, but there's no movement among university presidents and regents to leave the NCAA.

Top Bottom