Updated B1G Tournament Bracket (through Feb. 19)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Could the Gophers win the series with the decimated Wildcats if we see 'em again in Chicago?

1st Round (Thursday, March 14)
11 a.m. (BTN) -- #8 Iowa (6-7) vs. #9 Purdue (5-8)
1:25 p.m. (BTN) -- #5 Ohio State (8-5) vs. #12 Penn State (0-13)
5:30 p.m. (ESPN2) -- #7 GOPHERS (6-7) vs. #10 Northwestern (4-9)
7:55 p.m. (ESPN2) -- #6 Illinois (6-7) vs. #11 Nebraska (3-10)

Quarterfinals (Friday, March 15)
11 a.m. (ESPN) -- #1 Indiana (11-2) vs. Iowa/Purdue winner
1:25 p.m. (ESPN) -- #4 Michigan (9-4) vs. Ohio State/Penn State winner
5:30 p.m. (BTN) -- #2 Michigan State (11-2) vs. GOPHERS/Northwestern winner
7:55 p.m. (BTN) -- #3 Wisconsin (9-4) vs. Illinois/Nebraska winner

This is how out of the loop I am...I had no idea the tourney was in Chicago this year. Man the Gophers really need to get to that 6 seed. Sets up so much better for them.

I know we suck vs. the 1-3-1 NW throws at us, but with their injuries I'll take my chances with the Wildcats in the 1st round save for anyone except Penn State. Purdue likely will be the bottom-four team with the best chance to pull off a first-day upset, so we need to avoid the Boilers. I guess what I'm saying is, give me Northwestern whether it's the 6-11, 7-10, or -- heaven forbid -- 8-9 game.

If the Gophers could somehow win out and the rest of the B1G games go how I think they will the bracket would look like this:
1st Round (Thursday, March 14)
11 a.m. (BTN) -- #8 Iowa (9-9) vs. #9 Purdue (6-12)
1:25 p.m. (BTN) -- #5 GOPHERS (11-7) vs. #12 Penn State (0-18)
5:30 p.m. (ESPN2) -- #7 Illinois (9-9) vs. #10 Northwestern (5-13)
7:55 p.m. (ESPN2) -- #6 Ohio State (10-8) vs. #11 Nebraska (3-15)

Quarterfinals (Friday, March 15)
11 a.m. (ESPN) -- #1 Michigan State (15-3) vs. Iowa/Purdue winner
1:25 p.m. (ESPN) -- #4 Indiana (13-5) vs. GOPHERS/Penn State winner
5:30 p.m. (BTN) -- #2 Michigan (14-4) vs. Illinois/Northwestern winner
7:55 p.m. (BTN) -- #3 Wisconsin (13-5) vs. Ohio State/Nebraska winner

Selection, What is the tiebraker for teams that split their regular season series?

Aside from having a worse conference record, everything in the up to date BTT bracket is attractive for the Gophers.

#7 seed in this scenario is preferable to the #5 seed, IMHO. Understanding that nothing would come easy and we'd be underdogs in any 2nd round/semifinal game anyway - BUT as it stands above - Minnesota would face Northwestern, Michigan State, Wisconsin en route to the BTT finals.

That seems much more attractive than what the #5 seed would face to get to the finals - PSU, Michigan and Indiana.

Again, that for the moment, which will likely be different in ten minutes :)

Thanks, So if we went 9-9 and we were tied with Illinois we would want Michigan State to win the conference and then we would be given the higher seed.

Correct. For tiebreaker purposes, because we beat MSU, the Gophers want Sparty to finish ahead of Indiana and Michigan. That would give us the tiebreaker over Illinois and Iowa, neither of which beat Sparty. Obviously, Indiana winning the title would favor Illinois, unless of course the Gophers and/or Hawkeyes beat the Hoosiers in their upcoming meeting(s).

heh, a Gophers-NU first round match-up is in the conference bylaws.

Top Bottom