Shama: Hot Seat Warms for Tubby Smith

"The athletic department has invested millions of dollars in Smith for almost six years, making him one of the better paid college coaches in the country. The results? Not a single season finishing higher than sixth in the Big Ten. A regular season conference record of 44 wins and 59 losses. No wins in two NCAA Tournament appearances."

^^^ This is why we need a NEW coach!!!

Shama clearly doesn't understand that our history is losing and our destiny is losing, so those boosters and fans should just get used to it. Oh, and pay their coach top salary in the process. Oh, and fill the Barn to capacity by purchasing the most expensive ticket in the conference on top of "donations" of $400, $250 and $100 respectively. That is our lot in life, and the sooner we accept it, the happier we will be.

IF, we can afford to pay the 2.5 mil to buy him out.
IF, we can afford to then pay enough to get that "right coach".
IF, we can attract that "right coach"
IF, we wait with patience to let this season finish out first, before going back to consider the first 3 IFs

We might see this team surprising us in March. We might get lucky and see Tubby retire after a nice run in March, choosing to retire ON TOP, supposedly, or on a good note.

Then we could maybe save the 2.5 mil? Then we could maybe not look bad firing a coach some around the country might consider to have done pretty good, for Minnesota? Then would could bring in a new coach without lots of bad vibes because of firing him.

Also, IF we wait patiently for the end of the season to come, it may come to pass that we don't make the NCAA tourney. Then Tubby might retire out of shame, or because of being tired and not wanting to have to work so hard, and if he doesn't retire, well, we'd then have a much higher percentage of fans, including former Tubby backers, agreeing that its time to move on.

Yeah we know. No one said to fire him now. We know that the decision will be made after the season. Stop writing so much and saying so little.

Shama clearly doesn't understand that our history is losing and our destiny is losing, so those boosters and fans should just get used to it. Oh, and pay their coach top salary in the process. Oh, and fill the Barn to capacity by purchasing the most expensive ticket in the conference on top of "donations" of $400, $250 and $100 respectively. That is our lot in life, and the sooner we accept it, the happier we will be.

Bad = Good

Once again!!!

Thank you for the laugh!

Post of the week! bravo

gall0249 --

No one has said to fire him now?!

Serious????? You can't honestly be trying to make that claim?

I've probably read well over 1000 posts calling for him to be fired. 200 after each of our last 5 losses and a few here and there after wins that supposedly weren't good enough or something?!

Entire threads with the title "Fire Tubby"?? And you are claiming no ones saying fire him now?!

Well, I have not thought Tubby should be pressured out at MN until this season, because there always seemed to be a pretty good reason for struggling every year. But now it just seems like he's never going to have great success with the Gophers. If I were the AD, I'd give him a few more years, hope he will retire, and wait out Bruce Pearl's show cause penalty. The facility shortcomings are a real obstacle to building a winning program, but you've got to change the culture to really start winning.

Well, I have not thought Tubby should be pressured out at MN until this season, because there always seemed to be a pretty good reason for struggling every year. But now it just seems like he's never going to have great success with the Gophers. If I were the AD, I'd give him a few more years, hope he will retire, and wait out Bruce Pearl's show cause penalty. The facility shortcomings are a real obstacle to building a winning program, but you've got to change the culture to really start winning.

I've been one of Tubby's biggest supporters through his time with the Gophers. I've always found excuses for why his team's fell short of expectations (and I think up until this year they've all been legit). This year has swayed my opinion a lot and I now think he has too many shortcomings as a coach to ever really succeed here. That being the case, I think it would be crazy to give him a few more years (unless we make a big tournament run and have a good season next year). If the AD thinks it's clear like most fans do, why wait? Why put off trying to find a better solution? I would also much rather get a younger coach who is ready to prove himself. If they win fewer than 2 games in the tournament there absolutely needs to be a change IMO.

Top Bottom