Exciting Beginning to ACC/Big Ten Challenge

bamor5229

Reaction score
Wisky beats VA Tech on a bucket with .9 seconds left. VA Tech had made a great comeback to tie it with 6 seconds remaining. Nice win for the BT.

Wow that was a hell of a game! I can not believe that three Va Tech hit to tie it...great game. I couldn't believe that the one and only time I ever cheer for Wisconsin they were going to blow one...nice to see the Big Ten start off with a win.

WHY ARE YOU CHEERING FOR WISCONSIN????????????

Sure, I guess I'd rather see the Big Ten win the ACC/BT Challenge. But there's no *expletive* way in *expletive* that I will ever cheer for Wisconsin (or Iowa) to make that happen.

Two weeks from now nobody will remember which league won this challenge.

Josh, aren't you the one who continues over and over again to lecture us that nothing the fans do matter and it all comes down to the team. So why does it matter if I was cheering for Wisconsin?

And if you thinks no one remembers the challenge you are wrong. We have lost over and over again, and it just gives the impression to the sports world that we are a tier below the ACC (and perhaps we are). The Big Ten conference has been looked down as second rate to the ACC and the Big East, and even the Big 12 in recent years. I want this to change. The Big Ten rising to become a superior conference will only help the Gophers.

Your post makes no sense

My whole point about fans is what they say on message boards have no bearing on what a team's mindset is......I hate when people tell others not to post stuff because the team should be taking it "one game at a time." We're not on the team.

I've never said fans shouldn't care, shouldn't cheer or shouldn't want one team to win over the other. Please give me an example otherwise.

Why does it matter if you cheer for Wisconsin? It doesn't to the Gophers, and it didn't matter in the game tonight - I never claimed that it did. Is that what the point of your response was - to try to put me in a box with that claim? If so, try again. I never said it mattered to any team.

I just would never cheer for Wiconsin unless a win directly benefitted the Gophers in a significant way. I don't think fractions of percentage points in SOS and RPI benefit (only if we beat UW) is significant enough to want Wisconsin to win. Especially Wisconsin basketball - the most annoying team ever.

I hate Wiscy as much as anyone else...but I was cheering for them tonight. The Big Ten needs to win one of these damn challenges.

This ACC/Big 10 Challenge has been an albatross hanging on the neck of the whole Big Ten and gets worse with each year the winless streak continues for the Big Ten. To say that no one will recall who wins in two weeks is ignoring everything that is written nationally about the Challenge each year and is used by critics of the Big Ten to claim its inferiority. Minnesota is part of the Big 10; it benefits Minnesota for the Big 10 to win this Challenge, so therefore, for two games we can pull for Wisconsin and Iowa to win and it doesn't cast us as turncoats or bad fans or anything of that ilk. I'm glad the Badgers staked the Big Ten to a 1-0 lead.

Seth Curry's developing into quite a story

posted in wrong spot, moved to its own post

I found myself yelling at Bo Ryan to shut the $%*@ up and I only watched the last minute and a half...

Who cares what the media thinks????!!!!! I'd get way more satisfaction out of a Wisconsin loss than hearing Doug Gottlieb say - "well, the Big Ten won the challenge 6-5; good for them."

I also don't think you'll hear the representative from the selection committee ever say in the selection show interview with Nantz and Packer -

"well, Billy - we liked Minnesota as a team, their RPI and SOS were worthy of being in the field, and they had some quality wins.....we initially put them in as a 7 seed but then we were reminded that since Wisconsin lost to Virginia Tech and the Big Ten lost the BT/ACC Challenge we couldn't justify putting them in the field."

Who cares what the media thinks????!!!!! I'd get way more satisfaction out of a Wisconsin loss than hearing Doug Gottlieb say - "well, the Big Ten won the challenge 6-5; good for them."

I also don't think you'll hear the representative from the selection committee ever say in the selection show interview with Nantz and Packer -

"well, Billy - we liked Minnesota as a team, their RPI and SOS were worthy of being in the field, and they had some quality wins.....we initially put them in as a 7 seed but then we were reminded that since Wisconsin lost to Virginia Tech and the Big Ten lost the BT/ACC Challenge we couldn't justify putting them in the field."

You do understand that the more non-conference games the Big Ten wins against the ACC that the stronger the SOS will be, right? You get that there's a cumulative effect? If the Big Ten loses most of the ACC games, the overall SOS of the conference weakens, so it hurts us. If the Big Ten wins most of the ACC games, it helps the Big Ten SOS. So, a Gopher win over Wisconsin later this year will mean more (literally) because Wisky won tonight. The Big Ten winning these games is more than just a media thing. It directly influences the RPI and SOS, so I'm not sure why we would want the Big Ten to lose these games. In a perfect world, we'd like to see the Big Ten teams win ALL of their non-conference games. It helps everyone's SOS of schedule in the Big Ten, thus directly impacting the RPI in a positive manner. We're playing Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State, Ohio State, etc., no matter what, so we might just as well hope they have a strong RPI to HELP our overall SOS against them - whether we win or lose to the Big Ten teams.

Yes, I get the SOS/RPI implications......please read up on another post earlier in this thread where I mentioned it. Which is why I will root for most of the BT teams in the challenge......but I won't root for Wisconsin - can't do it. The hundredths and thousandths of percentage points is not enough to make me root for them.

Now, for example - say the Gophers are in a tie with Indiana at the top of the Conference going to the final Saturday of Big Ten Play - there will be no bigger Badger fan than me come March 7th when the Badgers play the Hoosiers.

A Gopher Conference championship = enough for me to root for Wisconsin
A thousandth of a point difference for 1/15th of our SOS/RPI = not even close

And now back to the game....Wisc looked great. They were consistently able to hold off V-Tech's runs and keep the 5-10pt lead throughout most of the game. Jon Leuer has improved greatly. Bo was very quiet for most of the game, lost it a few times towards the end, but they won in a tough place with what looked like a sold out crowd.

Same old Badgers

It was one of the more entertaining games of the young season & well played. Only 13 turnovers between the two teams.

Was most impressed by how the Badgers continually answered every single Va Tech run with a big bucket, and from different guys (Landry, Bohannon, Leuer, Hughes). Looks like the same old Badgers to me. I actually think they're a little deeper, and more versatile than in recent years. They'll win a lot of games and won't beat themselves very often. I'd put them ahead of MSU at this point & right there with Purdue competing for a Big 10 title.

Wisconsin will always be a similar team year to year under Bo Ryan. He's a good coach and recruits players that will fit his system. I know wisco went to a final four fairly recently (i don't think it was with Bo Ryan as coach) but I think the type of player Bo recruits isn't going to lead the Badgers too deep in the tourney consistently. They will need to land a few big time impact players to make a really deep run more often.

schedule

SelectionSunday, did you do an analysis of all the Big Ten team schedules again this year? The reason I ask (and I am not complaining about the Gopher schedule) is that I watched some of the game last night and I think they said the Badgers will be playing a series of 4 games including UConn (tournament), @ Va. Tech, and @ Marquette. That's a pretty tough stretch for November/December and I would guess one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the league.

6-5?

there's only 9 games so how about 5-4. Last place conference teams from previous season sit out.

Answer for Hosea; Badgers' NC schedule was 6th

That is a tough stretch for the Badgers, no doubt about it. They also play Texas on Dec. 23.

However, the Badgers were 6th (using last year's final RPI rankings) when I ranked the Big 10's nonconference schedules. It came out ("name" opponents in parentheses):

1. Indiana (Gonzaga, Kentucky, Notre Dame, Wake Forest)
2. Ohio State (Butler, Miami-Florida, Notre Dame, West Virginia)
3. Michigan State (Kansas, Maryland, North Carolina, Texas)
4. Illinois (Clemson, Georgia, Mizzou, Vandy)
5. Northwestern (Butler, DePaul, Florida State, Stanford)
6. Wisconsin (Marquette, Texas, Virginia Tech)
7. Penn State (Georgia Tech, Temple)
8. Purdue (Davidson, Duke)
9. Michigan (Duke, Maryland, UConn)
10. Iowa (Boston College, Iowa State, West Virginia)
11. Gophers (Louisville, Virginia)

Note, that when rating schedules, only definite tournament opponents were used, hence, no UConn for Bucky.

Top Bottom