Dakich comment on Indiana offense

bga1

Reaction score
I was watching Indiana play and Dan Dakich was doing their game. His comment(I paraphrase): "Watch Indiana they never stop and set up their offense. They just keep going, they run it down the floor and never stop. They get up shots early in the clock before the other team is set up." Then Dakich said, "These days NCAA teams have trouble scoring. If you score over 70 points you are going to win a whole lot of games. More people should study what Indiana is doing, what Loyola Marymount did and just attempt to score the ball."

Especially with this Gopher team- I totally agree with Dakich. Scoring gets players engaged and even helps them have the energy to play better defense. I wish we would RUN the ball up court and look for the first available action. This is also a style of ball the lends itself much better to recruiting. If you are going to recruit athletes, you have to run regardless of what the opposition does. If you want to be Wisconsin, slow down style then you have recruit different players totally. Fundamental guys that make up for footspeed deficiencies with shooting and positioning.

Agree completely. Well said by Dan and you as well.

Bga1 you need to go back and look at games during the 80's and probably early 90's. It was not nearly as physical. Drives to the basket now you get mugged. Entry passes into the post the defensive guy gets away assault. Coleman twice yesterday got his shot blocked, but he was clearly fouled with body contact. They've ( officials) turned the game into football on the hardwood. It has turned the game into a 3 point contest. Case in point. How many times yesterday did you see an actual 15 foot jump shot? Games now are in the 60's for the most part. You want to see the difference in scoring look at Tubby's Kentucky team. In regards to Dakish's comments, it is amazing
what you can do when you have better players.

Bga1 you need to go back and look at games during the 80's and probably early 90's. It was not nearly as physical. Drives to the basket now you get mugged. Entry passes into the post the defensive guy gets away assault. Coleman twice yesterday got his shot blocked, but he was clearly fouled with body contact. They've ( officials) turned the game into football on the hardwood. It has turned the game into a 3 point contest. Case in point. How many times yesterday did you see an actual 15 foot jump shot? Games now are in the 60's for the most part. You want to see the difference in scoring look at Tubby's Kentucky team. In regards to Dakish's comments, it is amazing

This is so true and I am surprised it is not discussed more often.

What came first, the chicken or the egg? The NBA has become a game of thugs.

This is so true and I am surprised it is not discussed more often.

What came first, the chicken or the egg? The NBA has become a game of thugs.

It isn't the NBA. IMO, college is much more physical than the NBA. If anything, all you hear about is how soft the NBA has gotten.

Actually I think this supports Dakich's and bga's points. If you can get to the basket before the half-court defense is set, while they're still on their heels, you can often get a cleaner path or look.

Actually I think this supports Dakich's and bga's points. If you can get to the basket before the half-court defense is set, while they're still on their heels, you can often get a cleaner path or look.

You need ball handlers to be able to do this successfully. We don't have the players to do this. Joe, Rodney, Mav, and Welch are the guys who should be able to handle the ball well enough to get to the basket but can't. They get the ball stripped, lose control of the ball, travel, dribble it off of their feet, or go up awkwardly enough to make sure they don't score. Dre and Austin can do it on occasion, but even then it is a adventure.

in Oto's defense, he did hit the rim 3 out of 4 times yesterday. I like the use of the word "kicks" though-- pretty much describes Mav's dribbling.

I just wish he would be more consistent though. Sometimes it's in the front court and other times it's in the back court.

You need ball handlers to be able to do this successfully. We don't have the players to do this. Joe, Rodney, Mav, and Welch are the guys who should be able to handle the ball well enough to get to the basket but can't. They get the ball stripped, lose control of the ball, travel, dribble it off of their feet, or go up awkwardly enough to make sure they don't score. Dre and Austin can do it on occasion, but even then it is a adventure.

There's more than one way to get the ball to the basket. The players on this team have shown they can be adept passers in flashes. They just need a consistently executed scheme that puts some structure to it and puts them in a position to succeed. It's always seemed to me that, when we move the ball and pass it well, it's outside of the schemed offense.

There's more than one way to get the ball to the basket. The players on this team have shown they can be adept passers in flashes. They just need a consistently executed scheme that puts some structure to it and puts them in a position to succeed. It's always seemed to me that, when we move the ball and pass it well, it's outside of the schemed offense.

Oh, I hear ya. Our offensive scheme does not at all play to our strengths. The coaching staff seems too stubborn to change accordingly.

Top Bottom