Grantland piece after the Minnesota-Wisconsin game

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
I thought this would have been posted after the MN-WI game and perhaps it was, but I just couldn't find it; however, when I first read it, on the heels of the Gophers win and Tubby's dance, this words seemed foreboding and against Iowa, frustratingly accurate:

Despite the eventual win, Minnesota's offense is in serious trouble. Andre Hollins made some big shots, and Rodney Williams had some tough moments underneath, but for the most part, they seemed utterly lost. Unlike Wisconsin's, Tubby Smith's game plan seemed to revolve around attempting a single pick-and-roll and, when that failed, taking a wild 3-pointer or forcing a drive into the lane. The Badgers stifled the home team over and over, to the extent that it began looking like every pass was pointless, and the only ambition was to ride out the possession and hope to get lucky. It was the same against Illinois, another home loss, and also against Michigan State, and it wasn't much different in the last Wisconsin game or against Northwestern either.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...-ten-road-trip-minnesota-out-uglies-wisconsin

And some love for Williams Arena:

"It's a gorgeous venue inside — steel-blue air vents wending through what must be the nicest rafters in all Division I, two levels of seating, and a raised court with its interplay of maroon and gold."

At the same time, the author feels like the Wisconsin offense is beautiful in its own way, so there's no accounting for taste.

And some love for Williams Arena:

"It's a gorgeous venue inside — steel-blue air vents wending through what must be the nicest rafters in all Division I, two levels of seating, and a raised court with its interplay of maroon and gold."

At the same time, the author feels like the Wisconsin offense is beautiful in its own way, so there's no accounting for taste.

Wisconsin's offense is very well designed, efficient, and effective. It is smart and methodical, but boring to watch mostly. Of course, it helps that every guy on the floor can shoot and take you inside. Makes them very difficult to defend. That's what happens when you primarily get 4 and 5 star recruits though, not St. Cloud state talent as some may claim.

I believe the author is from Minnesota-and he does mention how in previous articles he has not spoken very laudatory words about Wisconsin in the past; says something about how bad the Gophers offense is when Wisconsin and beauty are mentioned in contrast.

Wisconsin's offense is very well designed, efficient, and effective. It is smart and methodical, but boring to watch mostly. Of course, it helps that every guy on the floor can shoot and take you inside. Makes them very difficult to defend. That's what happens when you primarily get 4 and 5 star recruits though, not St. Cloud state talent as some may claim.
Patently false Dekker and Bergeren are their only four stars.

I believe the author is from Minnesota-and he does mention how in previous articles he has not spoken very laudatory words about Wisconsin in the past; says something about how bad the Gophers offense is when Wisconsin and beauty are mentioned in contrast.

Wasn't it written by Shane Ryan? Pretty sure he is from NC and a big Duke fan.

Dekker is a 5. Bergeren a 4.

In the past have had others as well. I was speaking in general over history, not just this year.

So has the U, I believe just as many in the Ryan tenure.

So has the U, I believe just as many in the Ryan tenure.

The U has never had a 5 star player step on the court under Tubby. Dekker is more highly rated than any Gopher player since Humphries.

Wisconsin has had a higher rated line up than the Gophers, I believe every year since Tubby took over. Blame retention if you'd like that is completely fair, but that is true that Wisconsin has always had better recruits on the floor than us, even if people don't think it's true.

Top Bottom