Was this a net positive or net negative week for Tubby?

El Amin Fan

Reaction score
Taking the emotion out of the ugly loss today I'm curious of this was a net positive or net negative week for Tubby.

Emotional win over a rival at home on Thursday. The dance video went viral and he was the talk of college basketball on an otherwise slow news day on Friday. Lots of local love for the dance, his lunch with Andre and we're back on track.

Today, one of the worst 30 minute stretches in a long time. Embarrassing loss, but more media interest today on Gophers outdoor hockey game.

I say it's a net negative at the end of the day for the pathetic last 30 minutes. Had it been a well fought, close loss it would have probably been a net positive for Tubby.

NEGATIVE. Remember, we were supposed to sweep the Badgers and Hawkeyes this year.

Small win at home + huge effing loss on the road = Negative

Way negative. We were favored against Wisconsin. Today's loss was devastating, both in the standings and in the way we lost.

I'd say only slightly negative, in terms of national impact for the team. Mainly because Wisconsin has shown themselves to be a much better team this year than predicted, and that win will end up being a very solid resume builder.

For Tubby though? Very negative.

Overall for the team, 1-1 is not too bad. The way this season has gone for Tubby, he needed an undefeated week and his players laid an egg. Or he did. I don't know what to think anymore.

OK, I'm not going to vote negative or positive. The original thread starter said to take the emotion out of it, so I will.

I'm a numbers guy so I'll stay consistent.

Team A, ranked Top 25(if we go by RPI, otherwise UR), plays 2 games, a home game vs a Top 25 team and a ROAD game vs a Top 50 team. If THAT was all you knew, not too many people would see a win and a loss to be a negative, and some might consider it a positive. I'd call it A WASH. Neither positive or negative. But add to the formula another factor, Team A was 2-5 going into these 2 games. In light of that last factor, then it's definitely a positive. And if I did not care about the RPI and Sag and KP and all, but only the popular polls, then I'd consider it a positive as well, for an unranked team beating a ranked team, even at home, is a positive, and losing to a Top 50 team on the road is never a bad loss.

But like I said, that is after stripping away all of the emotional stuff, the margin of victory stuff, the eye test stuff.

Here are some numbers foe the numbers guy and this is all you knew.

Team A is favored and beats ranked team at home. In their next game Team A has the following happpen on the road against an unranked team.

Team A is beating Team B at one point during the game 21-5
Team B goes on a 67-30 run and wins the game 72-51.

Not sure many people would call that a positive or better yet a wash for Team A just by looking at the numbers.

I'm steamed at how Sunday went down. It sure looked like they were on the way to a blowout win. As Gopher fans, most of us saw this week as a negative (me included). In Jerry Palm's latest projected bracket, he actually moved the Gophers UP to a 4-seed.

Negative. Most importantly I don't like the trajectory of how the Gophers are playing, especially on the road. They likely need 2 more road wins somewhere, and having a hard time seeing that at this point, even with Nebraska and Purdue among the 3 remaining roadies.

However, thank God for the win over UW. It keeps us afloat, and for now quite a ways away from the bubble.

I'd say only slightly negative, in terms of national impact for the team. Mainly because Wisconsin has shown themselves to be a much better team this year than predicted, and that win will end up being a very solid resume builder.

For Tubby though? Very negative.

This. Much more negative than it really is just because of the circumstances surround Tubby himself.

Negative: The Badgers handed the game over and yesterday's debacle was infuriating.

OK, I'm not going to vote negative or positive. The original thread starter said to take the emotion out of it, so I will.

I'm a numbers guy so I'll stay consistent.

Team A, ranked Top 25(if we go by RPI, otherwise UR), plays 2 games, a home game vs a Top 25 team and a ROAD game vs a Top 50 team. If THAT was all you knew, not too many people would see a win and a loss to be a negative, and some might consider it a positive. I'd call it A WASH. Neither positive or negative. But add to the formula another factor, Team A was 2-5 going into these 2 games. In light of that last factor, then it's definitely a positive. And if I did not care about the RPI and Sag and KP and all, but only the popular polls, then I'd consider it a positive as well, for an unranked team beating a ranked team, even at home, is a positive, and losing to a Top 50 team on the road is never a bad loss.

But like I said, that is after stripping away all of the emotional stuff, the margin of victory stuff, the eye test stuff.

Except that the Gophers really didn't beat the Badgers; the Badgers beat themselves.

Except that the Gophers really didn't beat the Badgers; the Badgers beat themselves.

Does that mean we can count the Indiana win for us since we handed it to them with missed dunks and layups and laying an egg the first half? Or we can count at Wisconsin a win due to us giving them the game with Austin's missed dunk, Rodney's missed free throw, and the shot after the buzzer?

You can be as pissed off about Iowa as you'd like, I know I am, but a win is a win is a win and we did enough to get that win against Wisconsin. We won that game and we lost to Iowa. There is no moral victories in a loss and there is no loss in a game you won.

I like to use the saying 1 step forward 2 steps back. Maybe bump that up to 3 steps back though. :0

Dont agree with that statement. A win is a win, and a loss is a loss, that is all that matters. If MN beat every team like they beat the Badgers at Williams, they would be the #1 ranked team in the country.

The problem is it's been a "net negative" MONTH. (nm)

nm

Top Bottom