Welch

XMan

Reaction score
To me one of the biggest disappointments this year has been Welch. I was expecting more from him as a senior off the bench. The guy averaged 9.5 points a game last year and currently provides little support when brought in.

At times this year, he's looked injured (back?) and at other times he simply looks disinterested. Even last year, I was shocked by how slow of foot he was and thought it was strange Tubby brought him because of that limiting factor. The other thing with Welch last year was that noticeable weight gain towards the end of the season.

I think Rodney has the biggest disappointment award wrapped up though. In the NIT last year, he started hitting his jumper and looked like an emerging threat offensively. The jumper has been gone and his handle (which looked fine earlier in the year) has also went MIA.

There's three guys who are definitively WORSE this season than last year: Rodney, Julian, and Oto

I am not sure you could make a strong argument for anyone to be noticeably improved. Elliott might have the best case, but I am not sure he's playing better than he did in the NIT.

He has definitely been one of the biggest disappointments. Seems like he stopped trying once it became apparent he wouldn't be a starter.

To me one of the biggest disappointments is the USE OF Welch.

Hasn't had much of a chance. One of the few shooters on the roster.

Gophers usually have only 2 guys that can hit a three on the court.

Can't play B10 level. He'll be a heck of a baller at "Y" noon ball where everyone is his speed and he can get shots off.

Agreed actually. We know welch can shoot. We've all seen it. I don't know if it is the limited minutes or what, but it seems all he does is drive and throw up forced shots.

Need to use him almost like Blake and let him hit some spot up jumpers. Would like to see him Dre and Austin together.

Can't play B10 level. He'll be a heck of a baller at "Y" noon ball where everyone is his speed and he can get shots off.

He's only played one season in the Big Ten and posted an impressive 109 ORtg while shooting 56.6% eFG, 42% 3FG.. all with a 30% assist rate [conference-only figures].

History has already proven your comments wrong.

We have a winner......

He's only played one season in the Big Ten and posted an impressive 109 ORtg while shooting 56.6% eFG, 42% 3FG.. all with a 30% assist rate [conference-only figures].

History has already proven your comments wrong.

At this point, what could be harmed by at least trying Julian at the 2, rotating with Joe? Whoever plays the better 2-guard should get more playing time.

Agreed. I don't know how much better he would've played if he got more time, but either way, it would've been nice to at least see him get a chance. He should be Dre's backup and should get more time in a lineup with Dre and Austin, especially in games when Coleman isn't aggressive.

Coleman plays the 3. Austin can play the 3. Unless one of his starters are hurt, see rodney, they will keep starting. Remember our coach is stubborn. Dre can play the point ok, he would be a realy good sg though.
I would start:
1. dre
2. welch
3. austin
4. trevor
5. EE

I know if Welch gets burned to much you sub him out. I would like to see us run inside out on offense Feed trevor every time and see if we can get some baskets, fouls on the other team, and some wide open 3's. Seems pretty basic to me. Welch guards the slowest perimeter guy on the other team. Our bench would then have some offense ability with 2 players who know they must step up.
Bring Rodney and Coleman off the bench. EE can hit Trevor and sadly is the best passer to the post.

Been saying it all year. He should have been getting more minutes with the other starters. He's the only bench guy that has proven they can play.

Coleman plays the 3. Austin can play the 3. Unless one of his starters are hurt, see rodney, they will keep starting. Remember our coach is stubborn. Dre can play the point ok, he would be a realy good sg though.
I would start:
1. dre
2. welch
3. austin
4. trevor
5. EE

I know if Welch gets burned to much you sub him out. I would like to see us run inside out on offense Feed trevor every time and see if we can get some baskets, fouls on the other team, and some wide open 3's. Seems pretty basic to me. Welch guards the slowest perimeter guy on the other team. Our bench would then have some offense ability with 2 players who know they must step up.
Bring Rodney and Coleman off the bench. EE can hit Trevor and sadly is the best passer to the post.

Good lineup. As for Rodney, he needs to skip a game or two and completely recover from his injury. He's just been no good trying to play through it. Best to save him for the critical games: @Nebraska, @Purdue and the BTT.

Welch has been a average defensive player at best. This year he has been awful. I imagine that is why he isn't seeing the court.

He lost weight and is even slower. He played much better last season. Like so many things about this team. The question is, what the heck happened.

At this point, what could be harmed by at least trying Julian at the 2, rotating with Joe? Whoever plays the better 2-guard should get more playing time.

+1. Sometimes a change for the sake of a change can help. Welch hasn't done anything to warrant it, but him starting over Joe is worth a shot. Take some ball-handling pressure off of Dre and add another shooter. Joe would also bring some energy off the bench.

He lost weight and is even slower. He played much better last season. Like so many things about this team. The question is, what the heck happened.

Agree. He may be using a walker by this time next year.

+1. Sometimes a change for the sake of a change can help. Welch hasn't done anything to warrant it, but him starting over Joe is worth a shot. Take some ball-handling pressure off of Dre and add another shooter. Joe would also bring some energy off the bench.

+1

Top Bottom