I don't get our primary offense

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
Here's the primary offense I see us run:

Step 1: Player A has ball at top of key. Passes to a wing (Player B).
Step 2: Player B slowly evaluates his triple-threat options. Meanwhile, Player A jogs over to the other wing (Player C) and sets a lazy screen. Player C jogs back to the top of the key and gets the pass from Player B.
Step 3: If greater than 10 seconds level on shot clock: Goto Step 1.
Step 4: Either throw up a 3 or try to penetrate for a closer shot
Step 5: Hope to get the rebound

Everyone once in a rare while:
Step 2a: Player B passes into the post! But the post jumps to catch it and ends up 10 feet from the basket.

Step 2: Player B slowly evaluates his triple-threat options. Meanwhile, Player A jogs over to the other wing (Player C) and sets a lazy screen. Player C jogs back to the top of the key and gets the pass from Player B.

Step 2a: Player B passes into the post! But the post jumps to catch it and ends up 10 feet from the basket.

The players all wait too long to pass. The passes come too slowly, and thus the defense always catches up to the play. This team either is full of bad passers, or the offensive philosophy that they are taught is dead wrong. I can't tell which is the chicken and which is the egg. Certainly when Hoffarber was on the team the ball moved a lot better, which would suggest to me that, at the very least, a fundamentally sound basketball player can overcome whatever philosophical deficiencies there are.

But I look at the roster this year, and the best passer that I've seen on the floor for the Gophers has been their center, Eliason. You don't win a lot of games that you should when your best passer is the guy who touches the ball the least on your team, no matter how athletic your team is.

I see it at all levels of basketball - from grade school to pickup to college to the pros - those teams that understand how to work the ball around always give themselves a big advantage to those who decide the best offense is a "beat your man" type of game.

The players all wait too long to pass. The passes come too slowly, and thus the defense always catches up to the play. This team either is full of bad passers, or the offensive philosophy that they are taught is dead wrong. I can't tell which is the chicken and which is the egg. Certainly when Hoffarber was on the team the ball moved a lot better, which would suggest to me that, at the very least, a fundamentally sound basketball player can overcome whatever philosophical deficiencies there are.

But I look at the roster this year, and the best passer that I've seen on the floor for the Gophers has been their center, Eliason. You don't win a lot of games that you should when your best passer is the guy who touches the ball the least on your team, no matter how athletic your team is.

I see it at all levels of basketball - from grade school to pickup to college to the pros - those teams that understand how to work the ball around always give themselves a big advantage to those who decide the best offense is a "beat your man" type of game.

Good observation.

The primary offense got a 21-5 lead and was gashing the Iowa defense. It obviously changed with the zone defense.

I don't think it is as much coaching as it is recruiting. Tubby has been a good recruiter in the fall, but the total talent on the roster is pathetic. How many big 10 caliber players are there? Certainly not Oto, Mav, Welch, and Mo at his current size. Then there are players with HUGE holes in their games - Coleman, Rodney (shooting).

Lets face it, we start 3 guards, and we only have 2 good guards on the entire roster. We are a very easy team to defend with only 2 shooters. Think about utm almost every other good team has 3-5 starters that can hit the 3, then also has players off the bench that can shoot.

Somewhere in there Rodney shuffles slowly and aimlessly in the vicinity of the elbow and then puts up a hand to communicate that he thinks he's worked his way open to receive a pass.

The primary offense got a 21-5 lead and was gashing the Iowa defense. It obviously changed with the zone defense.

I don't think it is as much coaching as it is recruiting. Tubby has been a good recruiter in the fall, but the total talent on the roster is pathetic. How many big 10 caliber players are there? Certainly not Oto, Mav, Welch, and Mo at his current size. Then there are players with HUGE holes in their games - Coleman, Rodney (shooting).

Lets face it, we start 3 guards, and we only have 2 good guards on the entire roster. We are a very easy team to defend with only 2 shooters. Think about utm almost every other good team has 3-5 starters that can hit the 3, then also has players off the bench that can shoot.

We have 3-4 players capable of back door cuts, there's no excuse when a team goes zone. A team must adjust and the coaches refuse to do it.

If Tubby can't figure out a zone offense, don't we have assistant coaches that can? Don't you think one of them would tell Tubby to "step aside" and let me show you how it's done (in practice or game time?) Or better yet, how about one of the players taking charge (like the point guard {not sure we have one}) and shouting instructions, moving people to their proper places etc. I would think all of them have run a zone offense hundreds of times during their middle school, high school, AAU days.

You think its ugly now wait until the next team runs a triangle and 2 on the two hollins boys. No one else can shoot outside 10 feet you can zone the other 3.

Top Bottom