Coaching aside....

bga1

Reaction score
I like the possibilities for next year.

I think Buggs, Ellenson, Ellis all bring in elements we are lacking this year. They all have a scoring mentality and probably some better overall basketball skills. The huge loss is Mbakwe. If we can somehow patch that void, we could actually have a very nice year. A lot depends on who is coaching them and what is done but there is potential here. Not sure on how Foster fits in but it sounds like he is a rebounder which we will need.

Elliason/ Walker
Buggs/Foster
Hollins/Ellenson
Ellis/Coleman
Hollins/Ellis(?) hoping he can back up Andre

I had to do it. :)

I think Buggs, Ellenson, Ellis all bring in elements we are lacking this year. They all have a scoring mentality and probably some better overall basketball skills. The huge loss is Mbakwe. If we can somehow patch that void, we could actually have a very nice year. A lot depends on who is coaching them and what is done but there is potential here. Not sure on how Foster fits in but it sounds like he is a rebounder which we will need.

Elliason/ Walker
Buggs/Foster
Hollins/Ellenson
Ellis/Coleman

I think that is one of the least talented rosters in the Big Ten. We might finish behind Iowa (AGAIN) in the standings this year and Purdue will likely pass us next year if they don't finish ahead of us this year. There's not nearly enough rebounding on the projected 2013-2014 team and we're hoping for a freshman SG to come in and be our secondary ball handler behind 'Dre. I see the Gophers projected ahead of only Penn State and Nebraska next year. In order to win they will need some Taylor Battle style pefromances from 'Dre. We still don't have a shooter (unless that is Ellis) and the lack of size/talent inside will kill us.

My question is, with the Big Ten being the BOMB as far as cbb conferences go, how many current Big Ten players are leaving teams? Graduating Seniors of course, but also guys going to the NBA?!

Without knowing any better, it would seem that a drop down to 10th in the Conf wouldn't seem like an outragous prediction after how this year is going. But maybe some teams will lose enough that we'll do a little better than that?!

Not a clue what other teams got for seniors or NBA bound underclassmen, so wondering if anyone out there has the skinny of the situation?!

To me
Michigan- Hardaway 75%, Burke 90%, Robinson, 75%. But they have a helluva recruiting class coming
Ohio St- Desean Thomas- 75%
Mich St- No one, favorites to me next year only lose NIX
Ind- Zeller- 90%, Oliadpio-75%
Wisc-0, lose their entire starting front court and first big off the bench but its BO they will be all right.
US- No one
ILL-No one
Iowa- No one
NW- No one
Neb- No one
PSU- No one
Purd- Hammons, this is an interesting one to me, Ive seen some where he is projected lottery pick this year and some next year. This year would be shocking as their are a lot of big men coming out. He is a true center which are becoming more and more rare.

With the sad state of our bench, I would think Buggs and Ellenson would be playing this year if they had any real talent, or least enough talent to help much next year.

To me
Michigan- Hardaway 75%, Burke 90%, Robinson, 75%. But they have a helluva recruiting class coming
Ohio St- Desean Thomas- 75%
Mich St- No one, favorites to me next year only lose NIX
Ind- Zeller- 90%, Oliadpio-75%
Wisc-0, lose their entire starting front court and first big off the bench but its BO they will be all right.
US- No one
ILL-No one
Iowa- No one
NW- No one
Neb- No one
PSU- No one
Purd- Hammons, this is an interesting one to me, Ive seen some where he is projected lottery pick this year and some next year. This year would be shocking as their are a lot of big men coming out. He is a true center which are becoming more and more rare.
IMO Harris from Michigan State could be a possibility to go, he is a better player than Robinson but a lot of it depends on the personality and mindset of the player too.

Not trying to argue with you harris is a helluva player but hes closer to 63 than 64 and have seen limited ball handling from him so an undersized 63 sg i dont see it. Robinson is a long 67 that has shown perineter skills.

IMO Harris from Michigan State could be a possibility to go, he is a better player than Robinson but a lot of it depends on the personality and mindset of the player too.

With the sad state of our bench, I would think Buggs and Ellenson would be playing this year if they had any real talent, or least enough talent to help much next year.

A grim reality.

Elliason/ Walker
Buggs/Foster
Hollins/Ellenson
Ellis/Coleman

How about Thomas the juco kid who was signed with Texas? Or maybe schilling. They need one of these two to sign which would really help. May move Buggs to the bench with foster.

We have to get some guys to leave. Hopefully Maverik, Oto, and maybe even Big Mo. Get a couple more guards in here along with a big. Shooting,ball handling and spreading the floor, along with perimeter defense is what the college game is all about. We do none of these things well.

You don't burn Buggs' red shirt half way through the season, this isn't Jerry Kill, and Ellenson has been hurt. I don't think it says anything about how good they'll be next year.

You don't burn Buggs' red shirt half way through the season, this isn't Jerry Kill, and Ellenson has been hurt. I don't think it says anything about how good they'll be next year.

Agree on Ellenson, but you have to have at least some concern about what type of player Buggs is. This isn't CFB and red shirting isn't the norm. We just lost to a team that has 3 freshman playing roles on their team and Buggs couldn't establish himself in a front court that includes Eliason, Ingram, and Walker. The optimistic side of me says that Buggs has legit talent, he was just not strong enough to bang in the Big Ten.

A shot at Kill? Really?

You continue to refuse to see what is and has been happening.

Agree on Ellenson, but you have to have at least some concern about what type of player Buggs is. This isn't CFB and red shirting isn't the norm. We just lost to a team that has 3 freshman playing roles on their team and Buggs couldn't establish himself in a front court that includes Eliason, Ingram, and Walker. The optimistic side of me says that Buggs has legit talent, he was just not strong enough to bang in the Big Ten.

I think at the beginning of the year Tubby felt he had depth and wouldn't need Buggs. Not sure he would have been a big impact though either. But at this point you can't burn it. Even if he thinks it'd save his job.

Elliason/ Walker
Buggs/Foster
Hollins/Ellenson
Ellis/Coleman

Great thread and post:

1. Eliason/Walker-At least we'll have a TRUE 5 player, but unless Walker loses 20lbs. or gets some anti-gravity jumping shoes It could be a long season.
2. Buggs/Foster/Oto at the 4 spot. Buggs is a very good leaper and can hit mid range is going to have to gain 50 lbs. and Ellis is supposedly quick also and can bang inside but needs to gain 40 lbs.
3. Austin/Wally/Joe at the 3. If Austin could develop a consistent outside shot wow! Wally is suppose to already have a good outside shot and dribble penetration along with a step back shot and we know he can dunk. Wish Tubby would give Wally some minutes as long as he is subbing the way he is.
4. Wally/Alvin/Mav at the 2 spot.
5. Andre/Alvin/Mav at the 1 spot: Maybe the A&A boys will be like the M&M boys were in baseball.

The minutes would have been very limited at the time the decison was made, I think the biggest thing Buggs had to work on was adding strength. I can't say I know what type of player Buggs is or will be but I think it was the right decison to make with the low amount of minutes that would be available.

If Mo can get in shape, I still think he can be a very good big 10 player.

We still don't have a shooter (unless that is Ellis) and the lack of size/talent inside will kill us.
If he ain't a shooter, what is Dre? He sure ain't a PG. he's a#2 as we say in the business.

Not trying to argue with you harris is a helluva player but hes closer to 63 than 64 and have seen limited ball handling from him so an undersized 63 sg i dont see it. Robinson is a long 67 that has shown perineter skills.
I can see what you are saying, it seems like you are projecting more while I was just going off of how the two have performed during the season and not really projecting how they translate. Might be the thing were he is a very good college player but could be a little difficult to translate to the NBA.

Next year you have no low post players. No true point guard, and no real sniper coming as of this date. You think this is a season on the brink? Wait till next year. I'm looking at 6-12.

How in the world did UConn win with Kemba Walker playing the point? He's not a true PG!!

I am tired of people saying Dre can't play point because he isn't a true point guard. Dre is just fine at the one. IMO the issue is no back up PG and that only 2 of our starters can shoot. The lane and floor is so packed no one can do anything.

How in the world did UConn win with Kemba Walker playing the point? He's not a true PG!!

I am tired of people saying Dre can't play point because he isn't a true point guard. Dre is just fine at the one. IMO the issue is no back up PG and that only 2 of our starters can shoot. The lane and floor is so packed no one can do anything.

Kemba Walker was a way better player than Hollins. But to your point I think MN can win with Hollins at the point, I agree the other players are much more the problem than him.

Interesting perspective.

1. Who recruits backup players?
2. Who recruits shooters?
3. Who teaches the offense?
4. Whose offensive philosophy is being run?

If Dre is adequate at point, why is this team underperforming so badly?

Brought the program back to a 20 win program. What has Kill done in his career?

I am not arguing Kill is a great coach. My point was that taking a shot at Kill was bush league, at best.

20 wins!!!!!! Great!

How have tubby's teams finished, in conf, each of the past 5 years?

Any ncaa wins?

Top Bottom