Which Players Would be Likely to Leave if Tubby is Fired?

I Miss D.J.

Reaction score
Which players and/or recruits would we likely lose if Tubby is let go after this season ends?

I imagine our chances of getting one or more of the "Three Amigos" would decline drastically, yes?

And likely Henry Ellenson, too?

Think the Big 3 question is debatable - not sure which side I'd lean to.

A lot of players would leave the first thing they mention when asked why they commit here is to play for Tubby Smith.

Can't see any coach wanting Oto or Mo on scholarship.

Biggest concern would be Dre. I don't think Austin would with only 1 year left. Joe wouldn't. No one else would be that huge a loss. We're still a B1G school and would offer lots of playing time. It really depends who the new coach is. If it's Flip/Shaka are guys going to be rushing for the door?

Big 3 is debatable depends on who they get. If they hire a big name like a Flip i think that he could have some pull with them. (Not saying he is the right choice or not). Oto, and Maverick seem like great kids but I think that they are clearly the two that any new coach would have a hard time playing. Mo is 6'11 and 300 pounds, coaches will look at him as a challenge and you just cannot find size like that walking around.

Big 3 is REALLY debatable at this point.

What are our chances for Tyus WITH Tubby?

The other two, I don't know.

I am into basketball recruiting as much as the next guy, but if we think it's best to move on from Tubby, this stuff shouldn't matter. I'm not insinuating the OP is saying it should matter.

If Andre Hollins leaves because of Tubby, I guess so be it. I like Andre and I think he's a good basketball player, but having Andre for another couple of years shouldn't offset our program on making the right choice (if it's time to move on).

Big 3 is REALLY debatable at this point.

What are our chances for Tyus WITH Tubby?

The other two, I don't know.

I am into basketball recruiting as much as the next guy, but if we think it's best to move on from Tubby, this stuff shouldn't matter. I'm not insinuating the OP is saying it should matter.

If Andre Hollins leaves because of Tubby, I guess so be it. I like Andre and I think he's a good basketball player, but having Andre for another couple of years shouldn't offset our program on making the right choice (if it's time to move on).

Let's put it this way: If these players think that they are good enough to win as a group, then what is it that Tubby has done so far that would make them flood to the exits if he leaves? I think the right coach has a great opportunity with the players that return and the players coming to have some instant success.

Andre would be the face of the program. Would he really want to sit out an entire season? Would be shocked if Joe leaves. I think asking this question before we know who Tubby's replacement would be is stupid anyway. Ask again when we have a new coach in place.

Andre would be the face of the program. Would he really want to sit out an entire season? Would be shocked if Joe leaves. I think asking this question before we know who Tubby's replacement would be is stupid anyway. Ask again when we have a new coach in place.
Ask again when we have a coaching vacancy.

Ask again when we have a coaching vacancy.

No. Ask again when there is a new coach. The coach replacing Tubby (if he gets replaced) will make a big difference in whether players leave. If Shaka Smart took over, do you really think players would want to leave? I don't (unless they're told they won't receive playing time, but that would only apply to reserve players). If we hire a no name would some want to leave? Maybe. Hopefully not though. This question won't be answered when there is a vacancy and no coach in place.

How many players left on their own after Dutcher left? Clem? Monson?

How many players left on their own after Dutcher left? Clem? Monson?

Monson lost Kevin Nathaniel right away and then Pryzbilla during the season. Word was that Joel was going to bolt in the off season because he loved Clem and didn't click with Dan but stuck around to start with.

Monson lost Kevin Nathaniel right away and then Pryzbilla during the season. Word was that Joel was going to bolt in the off season because he loved Clem and didn't click with Dan but stuck around to start with.

You think possibly the change in academic requirements might have had something to do with Pryz falling out with Dan? That was always going to be a tough situation with the whole University changing it's culture on athletics. No reason for that this time around.

You think possibly the change in academic requirements might have had something to do with Pryz falling out with Dan? That was always going to be a tough situation with the whole University changing it's culture on athletics. No reason for that this time around.

Something but not everything.

You know guys, I, like the Administration is going to, am going to wait until the season is OVER, and we've failed, before starting the search for the next coach.

Last I knew, Tubby was STILL the coach. The season wasn't over. And we're still ranked Top 15 in the RPI.

Just saying....

You know guys, I, like the Administration is going to, am going to wait until the season is OVER, and we've failed, before starting the search for the next coach.

Last I knew, Tubby was STILL the coach. The season wasn't over. And we're still ranked Top 15 in the RPI.

Just saying....

If that's the Really Putrid Ifyouwatchthem rating - then I concur. Our RPI remains strong but we-over the last 10 games have not been looking like a top 100 RPI team (3-7). We need to at least win 2 of the last 5 and one in the BTT or it isn't going to matter how high our RPI is. RPI is going to turn into RIP with anything less.

At this point the optimal result for me would be to have the Gophers get hot, make the tourney, have a nice little run (Sweet 16) and then Smith bows out on his own terms. I am wishing here.

At this point, who cares! In my opinion as long as Tubby is gone I would be happy! The recruiting issue should not matter we won't get a
Tyus, Rashard or Reid with Tubby here. Who would want to play for a coach that throws rt he players under the bus when he as a coach has no clue what to do during game time.

I don't think Andre would leave. He's the starting PG and will get plenty of minutes. I don't think it benefits his career to sit out a year in any form or fashion. I am more worried about getting out from under some scholarships that don't appear to have been used wisely. One obvious one will not leave because he will be a Senior next year. Two other obvious candidates likely won't leave because they have red shirted.

If a coach was announced that had and up tempo offensive philosphy, all of the key players would stay. Keep in mind that we probably only have two key players, Austin and Andre.

Just think, none of these ridiculous threads would be around if only a blizzard had not kept John Wooden from being offered the Gopher job. But, then again, maybe they would, after all................................................. God hates the Gophers.

possible the whole team quits all the recruits go elsewhere and open tryouts from student body to man the team. Not saying i heard this from Doogie or other confidential sources

Top Bottom