Post-game comments from Tubby - says worse loss in his time at Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Here is a recap of Tubby's post-game comments from 1500. These are not verbatim, but close:

Tubby on not maintaining early lead...They went zone and we just folded. It reminded me of the Northwestern game. Obviously we didn't do a good job preparing for it. We worked on it. It was just a 2-3 zone and a press. We really had a problem attacking that with some real hesitancy. We had some good looks but threw some balls away. It's amazing. That's what happens when you are stressed. You are well prepared for the game but something psychologically happens. Rodney has a bad shoulder but he needs to tell me those things. I shouldn't have to...it's a problem. His shoulder you know. He must have gotten hit bad.

Tubby on turnovers....Every one took turns turning it over. It's disappointing. Maybe the most disappointed loss and display of play we've had in a long, long time. This may be the worst since I've been here. That was the worst loss in the drop off. The lack of discipline. It's amazing. I was really taken aback by the lack of concentration.

Tubby on being ready...
Mentally we were ready. We had a positive mental attitude. We had guys start worrying about themselves. We have to play together and play smart. There is no excuse. It falls on me the coach, if you told me at the beginning of the game, I thought we were as ready as anyone we've prepared for. To see us lose the lead in such a short period of time is uh. I didn't change anything during the game but maybe I should have said something, maybe I should have jumped asses.

Go Gophers!!

Tubby has an epiphany...
OMG!!!

On one hand I feel for Tubby. He's right with us in not being able to believe how fragile and scatterbrained his players are. I feel for him that he seems powerless to do anything about it. But, damn, he's the coach. He's GOT to do something about this.

Tubby on being ready...[/U]Mentally we were ready. We had a positive mental attitude. We had guys start worrying about themselves. We have to play together and play smart. There is no excuse. It falls on me the coach, if you told me at the beginning of the game, I thought we were as ready as anyone we've prepared for. To see us lose the lead in such a short period of time is uh. I didn't change anything during the game but maybe I should have said something, maybe I should have coached.

Go Gophers!!

FIFY.....

You're Fired.

Great summation Bleed. Listened to it myself.

Tubby sounded at a loss and the most down I have heard him.

Surprised he wasn't asked aabout never putting Dre back in.

Here is a recap of Tubby's post-game comments from 1500. These are not verbatim, but close:

Tubby on not maintaining early lead...They went zone and we just folded. It reminded me of the Northwestern game. Obviously we didn't do a good job preparing for it. We worked on it. It was just a 2-3 zone and a press. We really had a problem attacking that with some real hesitancy. We had some good looks but threw some balls away. It's amazing. That's what happens when you are stressed. You are well prepared for the game but something psychologically happens. Rodney has a bad shoulder but he needs to tell me those things. I shouldn't have to...it's a problem. His shoulder you know. He must have gotten hit bad.

Tubby on turnovers....Every one took turns turning it over. It's disappointing. Maybe the most disappointed loss and display of play we've had in a long, long time. This may be the worst since I've been here. That was the worst loss in the drop off. The lack of discipline. It's amazing. I was really taken aback by the lack of concentration.

Tubby on being ready...
Mentally we were ready. We had a positive mental attitude. We had guys start worrying about themselves. We have to play together and play smart. There is no excuse. It falls on me the coach, if you told me at the beginning of the game, I thought we were as ready as anyone we've prepared for. To see us lose the lead in such a short period of time is uh. I didn't change anything during the game but maybe I should have said something, maybe I should have jumped asses.

Go Gophers!!

Bleed - thanks for posting, know you said you didn't directly quote everything, was the bolded part a direct quote?

On one hand I feel for Tubby. He's right with us in not being able to believe how fragile and scatterbrained his players are. I feel for him that he seems powerless to do anything about it. But, damn, he's the coach. He's GOT to do something about this.

He's horrible with his offensive system, when your team is a mess you strip it down and focus on a fundamental offense. Why this offense is not built around feeding Mbakwe is beyond me.

Bleed - thanks for posting, know you said you didn't directly quote everything, was the bolded part a direct quote?

He said it- I heard it. I just checked the ESPN play by play. Tubby called a time out after Iowa ran 9 points off the lead. Then he called a timeout when we were down two with a few minutes to go in the first half. Then- according to the record - he called no time outs in the second half. Now maybe ESPN is wrong but to go through thirty minutes of basketball and lose that stretch by 36 points and only call two time outs -both in the first half would seem fire-able in and of itself. Maybe ESPN is wrong....

The talent on this team is just not that good. The best player is a shooting guard playing point guard. Iowa had better basketball players and would propably win eight out of ten games even if games were played in open gym without coaches and officials.

That is bs.

Mbakwe is a talent

Rodney Williams would be a talent on any other team. He is a ZONE KILLER if used properly, get him in the short corner and he could destory teams. Get him on the free throw line and in a 2 man game, nightmare

Austin Hollins is sooo smooth, yet he isn't aloud to run the wing like he should

Joe Coleman is a strong physical wing player that is forced to stand behind the 3 point line...

We have a lot of skill, just 0 players suited for a high low offense...

The talent on this team is just not that good. The best player is a shooting guard playing point guard. Iowa had better basketball players and would propably win eight out of ten games even if games were played in open gym without coaches and officials.

Iowa is a better team. I don't think they have better players, but they are a better, more functional team. I don't know how you can come to any other conclusion after watching this game. They have the same league record and will likely have a better record at the end of the season. I hope I'm wrong about that, but what I feel more strongly is that I can't believe I'm typing this. Iowa better? It hurts.

Mbawke and Rodney are athletic beasts but average basketball players. Austin Hollins is good but I would take Marble in a heartbeat. Joe is an average basketball player . May and White are much better wing players than Joe. They can handle, shoot, pass, and drive. Joe can drive.

I listened to the interview. I thought I was listening to a repeat of Dan Monson's last interview. Tubby had nothing left to offer for this team. Although, it was interesting to me that Tubby nearly jumped in with complete agreement about lack of senior leadership on this team. Spencer asked him about it and he was pretty quick to imply that the seniors utterly failed in this game. He was frustrated that Rodney didn't tell him at the beginning of the game that his shoulder was bothering him. He was much less energetic when he offered that "maybe" he could have done something different. I just took that comment at Tubby being Tubby. Tubby also admitted that it was like watching the kids play Northwestern all over again against the zone.

Regardless of who you want to blame...this was about as ugly a loss as you can get. Iowa has a 37 point turnaround in this game, going from 16 points down to winning by 21. That was pretty bad.

Mbawke and Rodney are athletic beasts but average basketball players. Austin Hollins is good but I would take Marble in a heartbeat. Joe is an average basketball player . May and White are much better wing players than Joe. They can handle, shoot, pass, and drive. Joe can drive.

Mbakwe is an average basketball player? You are insane.

I can never tell when someone jumps on the lack of talent excuse are they making excuses for Tubby being a lousy coach or blaming him since he's responsible for the team on the court?

Marble in a heartbeat? I agree on May and White over Joe but saying Marble is a lot better than Austin is ignorant and comical.

Marble is taller, quicker, and stronger and a better playmaker and finisher . I love his game and he looks the part of a future pro.

You know your offense is a well oiled machine when your zone offense and regular half court offense looks the same. Stand around for 20 seconds, pass the ball around and then jack a contested long range jumper. This has been the m.o. for the entire Tubby tenure...time for a change or significant shake up

Tubby has said Gophs have 2 1st round NBA draft choices on team.

Yes, Tubby has said that and several GH'ers, but I would really like to know which 2 players are going to be 1st round choices. Trevor as good as he is, is too small for NBA 4 position and Rodney can't dribble or shoot to be a 3. As much as I would like to see both in the NBA, I think they end up in Europe or the D-League.

100%. I said since before the season our Achilles heel is that we have no back-up PG. This is precisely why we can't beat a simple zone employed by Northwestern or Iowa. No amount of coaching or adjustments today were going to make Maverick or Welch capable of beating these zones. We don't have the personnel needed to handle the ball & sadly that rests on Tubby. I'm still supporting Tubby & the team. Still hoping they find a way to turn it around & make a post season run, but if we got NIT or one & out in the Dance I won't shed any tears if Tubby is let go.

Yes, Tubby has said that and several GH'ers, but I would really like to know which 2 players are going to be 1st round choices. Trevor as good as he is, is too small for NBA 4 position and Rodney can't dribble or shoot to be a 3. As much as I would like to see both in the NBA, I think they end up in Europe or the D-League.

As it turns out the great '97 team didn't have much for legit NBA players either- certainly no NBA stars. Bobby Jackson was the only one that made a serious mark. But the play of the team made each of them better such that they became perhaps more valued as draft choices. Meanwhile, we have guys whose value is going downward......and that says something.

May is not better than Coleman. He's pretty worthless.

As it turns out the great '97 team didn't have much for legit NBA players either- certainly no NBA stars. Bobby Jackson was the only one that made a serious mark. But the play of the team made each of them better such that they became perhaps more valued as draft choices. Meanwhile, we have guys whose value is going downward......and that says something.

My measuring stick has turned out to be a pretty good indicator, though. The measure is how many guys are good enough to make a roster and play a game. The '97 team had:

John Thomas
Trevor Winter
Bobby Jackson
Sam Jacobson
Quincy Lewis

5 is a pretty good number. It indicates pretty good talent.

All true and good. But, who has gotten better? In turn, look at the Badgers. 9-4 with St. Cloud St. Talent. Coaches matter. Players get better and look better with functional coaching. Wouldn't we get lucky and finish over .500 one yr? Even Spencer T stated that Tubby can't handle losing. He's a front runner. Gotta remember, this guy destroyed Kentuckys edge and made Rondo like Maverick!

My measuring stick has turned out to be a pretty good indicator, though. The measure is how many guys are good enough to make a roster and play a game. The '97 team had:

John Thomas
Trevor Winter
Bobby Jackson
Sam Jacobson
Quincy Lewis

I also believe that Courtney James had the talent to play in the nba, just had too many issues.

He's horrible with his offensive system, when your team is a mess you strip it down and focus on a fundamental offense. Why this offense is not built around feeding Mbakwe is beyond me.

Why should it be? He cannot score consistently, and he cannot consistently make free throws. Also, because Rodney cannot play on the perimeter, we have to play Trevor out of position. Rather than posting up a four, he is always facing someone bigger than him, and he does not have the skills to put the ball on the floor and beat a bigger player.

Earlier in the year people tried comparing Rodney and Trevor to John Thomas and Courtney James. Comparing them as duos is laughable, because Rodney does not compare at all. People forget how big Courtney and John were - much bigger than Trevor. Rodney would have struggled to even get minutes in 97.

The ineffectiveness of Rodney weakens us on the inside because Trevor is out of position, and causes Coleman to play out of position as well. I think we need to play Elliot more so Trevor is matched up more often on a four.

John Thomas
Trevor Winter
Bobby Jackson
Sam Jacobson
Quincy Lewis

I'm sorry but playing hack a Shaq for one game doesn't make Trevor Winter an NBA player.

Top Bottom