Any updates on Rodney?

Becky Vadger

Reaction score
Sorry to start a new thread, but I have checked around and can't find anything.

Hoping someone on here knows his status.

Thanks!

He's sulking. Tubby has his challenges, but one of them shouldn't be dealing wither a player with an attitude of a 7 year old.

tubby is reaping what he has sown.. expects talent to adapt to his style..

According to the Big Ten conference call, he is day-to-day and his status is uncertain for Wednesday. Eliason will start in his place on Wednesday.

According to the Big Ten conference call, he is day-to-day and his status is uncertain for Wednesday. Eliason will start in his place on Wednesday.

Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

Hoping for the best. In order to have a chance to reach any of our goals this year, we need a healthy, productive Rodney Williams.

What Rodney brings to the mix:

A spectacular dunk about every three games.
An occasaional blocked shot, usually after being caught out of position on defense.
And.....I guess that's about it.

What Rodney brings to the mix:

A spectacular dunk about every three games.
An occasaional blocked shot, usually after being caught out of position on defense.
And.....I guess that's about it.
You must watch every three games then.

Well, 2 for his last 29 from behind the arc would be the definition of 'due'.

So true! Now if he were 8 of 29 I would have more confidence of his being "due" coming true. Let's hope he finds that Midas Touch.

Rodney is a big loss for this team and something that is being underplayed. Even if Rodney isn't scoring in bunches, he does a lot of good things on the floor. It's not insignificant that he isn't able to play.

this doesn't quite add up.
did he go back to the locker room in that first half?
why didn't he come out of the locker at half in stree clothes?
why the silence?

Rodney is a big loss for this team and something that is being underplayed. Even if Rodney isn't scoring in bunches, he does a lot of good things on the floor. It's not insignificant that he isn't able to play.

I'm curious to know what "a lot of good things" consists of.

Are you kidding? Just because he isn't scoring 30 pts a game and doing windmill dunks every other possession doesn't mean he isn't incredibly important to the team.

He plays excellent defense both on the block and on the ball. What about senior leadership? Not to mention, he is one of our top scorers, energizes the crowd and the team, and is vastly better then whoever would replace him on the floor, especially on defense.

Are you kidding? Just because he isn't scoring 30 pts a game and doing windmill dunks every other possession doesn't mean he isn't incredibly important to the team.

He plays excellent defense both on the block and on the ball. What about senior leadership? Not to mention, he is one of our top scorers, energizes the crowd and the team, and is vastly better
then whoever would replace him on the floor, especially on defense.

I guess I'm not watching the same Rodney as you are. Have you ever played beyond driveway basketball?

How does this team appreciably differ from the team that went to the NIT finals last spring other than that we are now playing Mbakwe in the 4 spot rather than Williams? While Williams is an important part of this team, I think we should still be pretty competitive with EE at the 5 spot and Mbakwe moving to the 4 spot.

Rodney's biggest problem (and one that a senior should have overcome) is that he is extremely streaky as a player. He shows up one game only to vanish the next. That is something that we should not be seeing in his fourth year at Minnesota.

Despite your thoughts on Rodney as a basketball player or leader for that matter, this team desperately needs him. I mean since we've been exposed we're talking about a team that with Rodney is about 6-7 guys deep. You take him out of the equation and you're starting your best five available and then have to give more time to the likes of Mav, Welch, Ingram, Oto, Walker...and if Andre Hollins gets into foul trouble early again, I'm going to lose it like Mike Montgomery.

It's laughable how some on this board were worried about losing Rodney to the NBA after his sophomore or junior seasons. Senior leadership?..........PUH-LEASE! What a waste of talent......he could have been so much more.

While Rodney is not everything we had hoped for, he is a darn good college basketball player. I get the feeling that a lot of the opinions of this thread are formed by watching Rodney play a couple games a year and reading other posts about Rodney on a forum like this. To think Rodney won't be missed in a game is crazy.. its frustrating to even reply to these threads. This has nothing to do with whether the team is underachieving (yes), it has to do with reality. This team is better, much better, with Rodney on the floor. I think its been pointed out that when all starters, including Rodney, get 30 minutes in a game the team is 4-0 and basically, the more the starters play, the better the team.. this includes Rodney.

While Rodney is not everything we had hoped for, he is a darn good college basketball player. I get the feeling that a lot of the opinions of this thread are formed by watching Rodney play a couple games a year and reading other posts about Rodney on a forum like this. To think Rodney won't be missed in a game is crazy.. its frustrating to even reply to these threads. This has nothing to do with whether the team is underachieving (yes), it has to do with reality. This team is better, much better, with Rodney on the floor. I think its been pointed out that when all starters, including Rodney, get 30 minutes in a game the team is 4-0 and basically, the more the starters play, the better the team.. this includes Rodney.

I watch every game. He does not know how to play. His athleticism is impressive, but he's a liability with many aspects of his game. Is the team better with him on the floor? At times they are, but that's a reflection of a lot of other problems.

I watch every game. He does not know how to play. His athleticism is impressive, but he's a liability with many aspects of his game. Is the team better with him on the floor? At times they are, but that's a reflection of a lot of other problems.

I suspect you are making a blanket statement because of his offense. A lot more to the game than that.. Is Rodney a great NBA prospect? I could care less. Are the Gophers better with him on the floor? Yes.

I suspect you are making a blanket statement because of his offense. A lot more to the game than that.. Is Rodney a great NBA prospect? I could care less. Are the Gophers better with him on the floor? Yes.

It's offense AND defense. Just watch him. It's actually funny at times to see how lost he is. The sad thing is that he doesn't know he's lost, and I'm not sure anyone is telling him.

If nowhere near 100%, sit Rodney until Penn State game

I know folks are down on Rodney, but we still need him big-time. To think otherwise is foolish. We need him as healthy as possible. This suggestion may not go over well, but here's what I'm thinkin':

The Gophers #1 objective right now is to just get in the tournament. The best way to assure you make the tournament is to win at least 2 or 3 more basketball games. That's all they have to do. The Gophers' resume is plenty strong enough that it doesn't matter where those 2-3 wins come from. Just get in and you have a chance. I know people don't want to hear this right now because of our current struggles, but the goal has simply become be one of the 68. That being the case. ...

The Gophers have little and no chance of beating OSU (little) or Indiana (no). If Rodney is nowhere near 100%, sit him for these next two games. That would give him 13 days off from game action (Iowa to Penn State). Get him as ready as possible for the 3 most winnable games on our schedule, the last 3 (PSU, Nebraska, Purdue). If we get our a**es kicked by OSU and IU, so be it. The Gophers need to gear their efforts toward winning at least 2 of those final 3 games.

Top Bottom