Iowa basketball program from bad to worse - transfer rumors

parkinglotgopher

Gentleman and Scholar
Reaction score
SIAP, but some noise being made regarding rumors of several defections from the Iowa basketball program. Mostly hearsay at this point, but it sounds like the rumors are flying from a lot of different directions. The names popping up are Jake Kelley, Jeff Peterson and Jermain Davis. Considering Kelley and Peterson finished 1st and 3rd in PPG on the team and that the team will only return four guards (Gatens, Bawinkel, Tucker and Lickliter), this would be bad news for the Hawks.

Again, this is all just rumors, so take it for what you will.

Thread about possible soon-to-be former Hawkeyes.

They also had an in-state 2010 recruit de-commit today. Chanse Creekmur is a 6-5 wing from Marshalltown, Iowa (about three hours from Twin Cities). He can jump out of the gym and might be someone that the Gophers should at least take a look at. I think he played on an AAU team from Minneapolis this past summer.

Losing Davis and even Peterson isn't that big of a deal to them. But, if Jake Kelly bolts, then that is bad news for the Hawkeyes. Lickliter's seat will be scorching if he has player defections like this. Without Kelly, they could be 2009 Indiana-type bad in 2009-2010.

But no scholarship, correct?

He'd look good in Maroon and Gold. :)
I assume that the Big10 treats basketball the same as football and that a transfer within the Big10 means no scholarship can be awarded (even after the one year of sitting out that's normally required by the NCAA).

Is that assumption correct? (This came up on the football side when Kim Royston transferred to Minnesota from Wisconsin)

That is correct. Transfers within the Big 10 must do so on their own dime.

on their own dime

or daddy's $24,000.00. We might want him but it's far fetched to think we would get him.

This situation sounds like a real mess. Something isn't right in Iowa City when they keep losing their top players year-after-year-after-year due to transfers and guys leaving the program. Read some of Kelley's comments today and they don't sound real good in terms of returning next year.

Somebody over on the Iowa site said Davis has already bolted, Kelley is on the verge and Peterson as well. Now they lose a recruit in Creekmur as well. Something is definitely afoot when it comes to the status of the Iowa program. Not sure what this all means for Lickliter either.

In any case, Iowa City sounds like a minefield right now...:eek:

Why did they fire Dr. Tom again?

Kelly's mom died in a plane crash in Florida this past off-season. He has struggled with that. Sounds like he wants to return closer to his Indiana home. Odds are he ends up at Indiana State, where he should be all-MVC for a couple of seasons.

Well, now they are saying that Davis is off to Mankato to play for the Mavericks and that he didn't understand what his role was on the team. He said that it really affected his play and that he simply wasn't happy at Iowa. Apparently, Kelly is also pretty close to bolting, although his dad didn't exactly confirm anything, saying only he won't comment until his son makes an official decision.

Iowa has been like a revolving door lately with the players coming and going on a yearly basis. Hard to know for sure what else is going to happen with the Hawks, but needless to say, everybody down there is more than a little edgy.

If StPaulHawekeye is reading, perhaps he would have greater insight into what is really going on down there???:confused:

If Jermaine Davis transfer to Mankato State he'll be teamed up with recent transfer Jefferson Mason from Northern Colorado. They both played High School ball together at Cooper and took the team to 2nd place in 2006. Good Friends I hear...

talked to a coach from one of the Iowa mid majors at the state tournament today and he siad Davis is definately going to mankato and did mention the same other names in kelly and Peterson. Creekmur played for Net Gain last summer and was a player I really like and hoped the Gophers would go after. They do have some interest as of today but they like another de-commit better.
Sounded like a real mess at Iowa State as well.

talked to a coach from one of the Iowa mid majors at the state tournament today and he siad Davis is definately going to mankato and did mention the same other names in kelly and Peterson.
Wow, that is pretty big news. Thanks for the insight Johnny

Iowa Down to 5

Jake Kelly, Jermaine Davis, Jeff Peterson, David Palmer are transferring. Creekmur decommitted. Iowa is down to five roster players, and this includes A. Tucker who was nearly kicked off the team, Andrew Brommer who can barely lace up his shoes, and the coach's son.

As much as I hate Iowa, this is bad for the Big Ten.

talked to a coach from one of the Iowa mid majors at the state tournament today and he siad Davis is definately going to mankato and did mention the same other names in kelly and Peterson. Creekmur played for Net Gain last summer and was a player I really like and hoped the Gophers would go after. They do have some interest as of today but they like another de-commit better.

Johnny, do you know what influenced Creekmur's decommitment? Iowa fans seem to think it was an Andrew Brommer or Nate Garth type of situation.

Starting to wonder whether Lickliter will last the spring or summer. These are big-time losses for the program and the natives are more than restless. Add that to the list of big schools that are in turmoil, including Kentucky with Gillespie apparently being on the chopping block and it will be an interesting off-season nationally to say the least!!!

Any chance Harrison Barnes crosses the clones and the birdeyes off his list?

HTML:
Johnny, do you know what influenced Creekmur's decommitment? Iowa fans seem to think it was an Andrew Brommer or Nate Garth type of situation.

I only know one side of the story from Watts and I just read the Iowa fans take on it. Creekmur was a guy Lickliter followed alot last fall and really liked so I find it hard to believe he wanted to cut him loose, especially since there is not a rush of kids looking to sign with Iowa. I think some of had to do with the negative feelings around that program right now and when he visited there not too long ago, i'm sure he heard the players complaining and that made him have some doubts. I would take him on the gophers in a heartbeat. I don't know yet just how much MN will pursue him but he definately is back on there radar and him playing with a MN AAU team will give them alot of exposure to him.

I didn't see Creekmur's name in the Rivals 150 for 2010. Is there a report on him somewhere or did I just miss it ?

I didn't see Creekmur's name in the Rivals 150 for 2010. Is there a report on him somewhere or did I just miss it ?

He's not in the Top 150. Reports are that he is still considering Iowa, but is also being pursued by Marquette, Iowa State, Arizona State, Creighton, Washington State, and Butler. Minnesota and others are expected to monitor his progress.

So what's the deal at Iowa St., besides them being down the last few years?

Things are not good at Iowa right now. If Coach Lickliter goes, as well as over half the team, it would indeed be like Indiana this year. Of course, having Coach Crean and the tradition Indiana has, they will rebound quickly. The Hawkeyes, minus those, might be there for much longer.

Also, Iowa would become the place promising mid-major coaches to derail their career?

Not good.

Query to SPH

1) Aren't some of the "negative things" a bit of a "perfect storm" right now? Regardless of how he might ahve felt about Coach Lickliter, Jake Kelly had some pretty obvious and perhaps not so obvious personal reasons for transfer away from Iowa and to Indiana State (isn't he a Terre Haute native?). And J Davis jsut wasn't a B10-level player, though he was given a chance to be....

2) Or, is/are there rumblings that Much of the exodus is indeed Coach Lickliter's fault? Have you heard anything much beyond the normal media speculation?

If it is a player mutiny, things are very much not in a good state. Drake University had one in the late 1980's under Tom Abatemarrco which seemed to set their program back at least 5 years.

Arguably, we at the -U- had one in football in 1983 under Coach Salem, with very "unpretty" results. That wasn't the only thing wrong at the time, but it was an undercurrent....

Anderson8284,
Yes, you could be right. There might be no other reasons than personal ones for Jake and Jermain to leave. It might have nothing to do with Coach Lickliter at all. I don't have the connections in Iowa City like I used to, so I can't say for sure on that.
In the context of recent history with regard to the retention of the best returning player, however, Tyler Smith left for Tennessee (personal reasons), the next year Tony Freeman transferred out (by most accounts, Coach Lickliter influenced that decision), and now Jake Kelly leaving (personal reasons again). Just doesn't look good.

Anderson8284,
Yes, you could be right. There might be no other reasons than personal ones for Jake and Jermain to leave. It might have nothing to do with Coach Lickliter at all. I don't have the connections in Iowa City like I used to, so I can't say for sure on that.
In the context of recent history with regard to the retention of the best returning player, however, Tyler Smith left for Tennessee (personal reasons), the next year Tony Freeman transferred out (by most accounts, Coach Lickliter influenced that decision), and now Jake Kelly leaving (personal reasons again). Just doesn't look good.

Good to hear from you St.PaulHawkeye!!!:)

Anyway, it could be as simple as the Hawks running into an extended period of bad luck when it comes to some of the player defections (at least it seems to be this way in terms of losing both Smith and Kelly). As for Davis and Freeman, I'm sure everyone has an opinion on those losses as well. But the underlying point, regardless of whether Lickliter is having trouble relating to his players or not, is that players are leaving.

This will make things interesting especially if both Peterson and Palmer also bolt. There is obviously a lack of stability within the Iowa program right now. And its hard to be successful if your roster is constantly turning over on a yearly basis. That's why if I was a Hawkeye fan, I'd be asking some tough questions and wanting some tough, straight-forward talk in return.

Lickliter is holding a news conference right now.

Says that four guys are leaving, including Jake Kelly, David Palmer, Jermaine Davis, and Jeff Peterson.

My thoughts:

Jake Kelly - HUGE loss
Jeff Peterson - big loss
David Palmer - actually helps them - frees up a scholarship
Jermaine Davis - actually helps them - frees up scholarship

They have six scholarship players on the roster now. They have three recruits to add to the mix in the fall. They literally don't have a single point guard on the roster. They will obviously have to add another 3-4 guys from some place (JUCOs or late-blooming high schoolers).

Lickliter just had a press conference down here

(reported on-line, DSM Register)

David Palmer and Jeff Peterson have also been given unconditional releases of their scholarships. Palmer is transferring to an (unnamed) Division II Program. No info on Peterson.

All that's left for returning players is Gatens, Bawinkel, Tucker, and Andrew B. Plus several recruits....

Top Bottom