I'm an optimist but I think Tubby has got to make the sweet 16 to keep his job

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
I'm getting sick of watching us completely fall apart and appear to have no answer for the zone. If Tubby can't pull off a Sweet 16 run, he needs to go. I couldn't bare to watch more than 5 min or so of today's game.

Oh no....here comes all the Tubby Bashers!!

Oh no....here comes all the Tubby Bashers!!

You are pissed that someone did the same thing you did ater a win.

From the post I have read MadtownGopher is far from a Tubby Basher.

If anyone thinks I'm a "Tubby Basher" you don't read this board very often.

I don't really think it is fair to criticize Madtown for being too quick to jump on Tubby.

If you fire Tubby you could get where Virginia Tech is after Seth Greenberg was fired from Virginia Tech and where Arkansas was after firing Nolan Richardson. Don't fire someone just to fire someone unless you have a proven coach waiting.

If you fire Tubby you could get where Virginia Tech is after Seth Greenberg was fired from Virginia Tech and where Arkansas was after firing Nolan Richardson. Don't fire someone just to fire someone unless you have a proven coach waiting.

We are already where those teams are. Tubby has never finished above .500 in the Big Ten and he isn't going to this year.

Seth Greenberg did far better at VTech than Tubby has at the U. The B1G is chalk full of successful Mid-Major and DIII coaches.

Ill take the Virginia Tech comparsion. But Nolan Richardson vs Tubby come on. Even taking Nolan's last 6 years is 2 NCAA 1st round, 2 Ncaa 2nd round, 1 sweet 16 and 1 ncaa miss. I think that is a little higher fall than Tubbys resume last 6 years. Where are we are falling from 2 NCaa first round appearances and no better than 9-9 in conference. Man I have higher aspirations than that.

Ill take the Virginia Tech comparsion. But Nolan Richardson vs Tubby come on. Even taking Nolan's last 6 years is 2 NCAA 1st round, 2 Ncaa 2nd round, 1 sweet 16 and 1 ncaa miss. I think that is a little higher fall than Tubbys resume last 6 years. Where are we are falling from 2 NCaa first round appearances and no better than 9-9 in conference. Man I have higher aspirations than that.

Nolan Richardson was a more successful version of Clem for Arkansas. Not a valid comparison. Maybe Stan Heath if you want to compare us to Arkansas.

I'll ignore all the Ark and VT stuff, and address the actual topic of the thread.

I think that 1 win in the NCAA tournament being a requirement is not asking too much. It would be 3 tourney invites in 6 years, something no other coach has EVER done at Minnesota. But for some reason certain Gopher fans have higher expectations?! Hey, I'd love to do better, if I thought that it was truly so easy to accomplish, but for some reason (SEVEN OTHER BIG TEN TEAMS BEING MUCH BETTER THAN US EITHER PRESENTLY AND/OR HISTORICALLY, might qualify as a reason?) I am just not convinced its as easy of a task as some make it out to be.

They think that by simply hiring a guy like Tubby, that we should all of a sudden be awesome. Those other 7 Big Ten schools also hired guys like Tubby, but also had better histories, better facilities, and some had better college atmospheres. We need to do more than hire a good coach. We either need one of the VERY BEST coaches, and/or upgraded facilities along with a good coach and some better luck with recruiting and injuries and transfers.

But I am not sure requiring a Sweet 16 trip is fair? But honestly, if the Administration, probably not publicly, but privately has that as a requirement, well, I'm fine with that actually. I only said that I wasn't sure it was fair, but that implies that I'm not sure its unfair, either. I'm kind of on the fence in regards to that being a requirement or not.

I'll ignore all the Ark and VT stuff, and address the actual topic of the thread.

I think that 1 win in the NCAA tournament being a requirement is not asking too much. It would be 3 tourney invites in 6 years, something no other coach has EVER done at Minnesota. But for some reason certain Gopher fans have higher expectations?! Hey, I'd love to do better, if I thought that it was truly so easy to accomplish, but for some reason (SEVEN OTHER BIG TEN TEAMS BEING MUCH BETTER THAN US EITHER PRESENTLY AND/OR HISTORICALLY, might qualify as a reason?) I am just not convinced its as easy of a task as some make it out to be.

They think that by simply hiring a guy like Tubby, that we should all of a sudden be awesome. Those other 7 Big Ten schools also hired guys like Tubby, but also had better histories, better facilities, and some had better college atmospheres. We need to do more than hire a good coach. We either need one of the VERY BEST coaches, and/or upgraded facilities along with a good coach and some better luck with recruiting and injuries and transfers.

But I am not sure requiring a Sweet 16 trip is fair? But honestly, if the Administration, probably not publicly, but privately has that as a requirement, well, I'm fine with that actually. I only said that I wasn't sure it was fair, but that implies that I'm not sure its unfair, either. I'm kind of on the fence in regards to that being a requirement or not.
I'm beginning to doubt you actually watch games, this could be a bit.

I think the keep his job bar should still be the round of 32. The big knock on him from the malcontents has been he has failed to win a tournament game in 5 seasons. If he can do that in number 6, that would make this his best team, which seems like an odd time to fire a coach. If he can get us into round 2 this year, I'll give him another year to hit the Sweet Sixteen.

why is that goldengophers? Because I hold back my criticisms of Tubby, in an effort to bring some balance to the discussion?!

Because I see Kansas losing to TCU, previously winless in conf play.
Because I see UL losing 3 in a row.
Because I see Missouri going 1-6 on the road vs a far inferior league?
Because I see Cincy going 2-4 in their last 6 home games?

Yet what I don't see, is KU, UL, Missouri or Cincy fans acting like its the end of the world. NONE of the fans of those teams think that their teams aren't going to make the NCAA tournament.

Only Gopher fans act like its a sin to lose a road game to a Top 40 team. HOW we lost, sure, thats a different story. But its one I don't feel the need to make an issue out of, because dozens of Tubby Haters are doing just fine making an issue out of it.

And guess what, UMn's got a better resume than both Cincy and Missouri. Both of those teams, and VCU as well, are looking at possible 3 or 4 game losing streaks in the next 2 weeks.

Today's game was a sin, this furthers my theory you didn't watch. It was actually as pathetic a coaching performance I've seen in some time.

After what you saw today, would you WANT Tubby back if this team made the Sweet 16? That was the most glaring example of team being out coached that I've witnessed as a Gopher fan. The team does not look like it prepares to play against either a zone or the press at all.

I just don't see Tubby getting it going next year (or the year after) if he was unable to do so this year (assuming 9-9 this year).

Is there any chance Tubby would step down after this year? After listening to him in in the post-game interview, the thought didn't seem so far fetched.

Is there any chance Tubby would step down after this year? After listening to him in in the post-game interview, the thought didn't seem so far fetched.
That's what I'm thinking, although I didn't hear the interview.

If you are honest with yourself, what is the answer to the questions?

A. Does this team not have a lot of talent?

B. if the team isn't as talented as we thought it was coming into Big Ten play who should be responsible?

C. Offensive production, I've watched too many times a lack of passing and a holding of the ball and throwing up a last second prayer?

I was thinking last year maybe Tubby wasn't the answer at the end of the BT season ended, then the team went into the NIT and started to play to their strengths by running the ball. I thought the team figured it out.

I follow the football board more, everyone says Kill needs at least five years, and I agree. What makes a big name coach, who needs to recruit fewer players, have the need to have a longer period to turn things Round?

Top Bottom