Gopher/Iowa Post Game Thread: Thoughts, Frustrations, Concerns, etc.

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's have this thread serve as the place to vent. Ugly game, ugly day, let's have one ugly thread.

Watching this team, I keep thinking of Bobby Knight's quote when they were playing LSU in the tourney. Something to the effect of "I thought we were in trouble until I looked over at the other bench and saw Dale Brown was the head coach."

That's what other coached must think when they see Tubby. It's insane how poorly coached this squad is.

This one is on coaching, which is schizophrenic...
Which coaching staff shows up?
That's all I got.

Give Tubby a Break...and a Buyout

Tubby clearly has already retired. Norwood, lets make it official and give him a buyout....

I still have faith in Tubby and our 18 wins...but for Gopherhole....start your typical bashing!

I still have faith in Tubby and our 18 wins....but for Gopherhole....start your typical bashing!

In fairness, there is a lot to be said for a tough conference and tough to win on the road and all that, but we looked like garbage for the last 30 minutes.

Why Prolong the Misery?

Norwood needs to call a meeting tonight. Tell him for the sake of both parties we need to part ways, cut the buyout to a million. It won't be worth the additional $1.5 for the following reasons:
-His legacy will be further damaged
-Saul is going to get fired at the end of the year in a mandated shakeup and his DUI made it easy to make him the target
-Williams and Mbwake are gone and it is only going to get worse and he is the #1 whipping boy in a big city media outlet
-The fans are going to turn on him
-He is going to lose 3 blue chip players in his own backyard

It can't be fun for Coach Smith and I like him as a person, but it isn't working. I don't think we will get Coach Smart, he is set for a better job, but maybe we can get someone who can sign 1 or 2 of the big 3 in-state recruits and buy some hope for the program.

This one is on coaching, which is schizophrenic...
Which coaching staff shows up?
That's all I got.

I guess the answer is that the good staff has showed up 6 times in BT play and the bad staff 7. The problem is that over the years this staff has never finished higher than 6th, never finished over .500 and has a record in the Big Ten that is about even with the staff we fired.

Do people really not understand the clause in Tubby's contract. They would never fire him before the end of the season anyway, but they literally can't. Give it a rest.

I missed this game as I had a prior commitment. I am so glad I didn't suffer through that. First 5 minutes appeared great according to the game cast. Last 35. Not so much.

Today is my birthday, and I actually shut the Gophers off to go wash dishes instead. How many times has that happened before?

Before the game I'd say he has the year to finish it out, after one of the worst offensive coaching efforts I've ever seen I'd say fire him and let Vince Taylor attempt to right the ship.

This team seems so very unprepared and mentally fragile its not even funny. Not sure how much is on coaching or the players on the mentally fragile front, but our staff seems to be out coached nearly every game and seem to have no ability to make changes to the game plan (if they have one) if a team deviates from their standard looks.

This team seems so very unprepared and mentally fragile its not even funny. Not sure how much is on coaching or the players on the mentally fragile front, but our staff seems to be out coached nearly every game and seem to have no ability to make changes to the game plan (if they have one) if a team deviates from their standard looks.

I blame Saul. He is always dancing around yelling at officials on the sideline like he is an idiot. :)

Before the game I'd say he has the year to finish it out, after one of the worst offensive coaching efforts I've ever seen I'd say fire him and let Vince Taylor attempt to right the ship.

Can't clause in contract wouldn't do it anyways.

I could have stomached a close, tough loss. Losing by 19? Finishing on the short end of a 66-30 run? This is not acceptable.

I hope we win all of our remaining games and make the Sweet 16. But I have no confidence in going more than 8-10 and sweating out Selection Sunday.

I'm done defending Tubby. It's probably time for a change.

How many years?

How many years does the staff need to get this team in the top half of the Big Ten? The athletic department needs to determine if winning is among the goals of the department. It appears Tubby has ran a clean program. If this is our goal, we appear to be doing well with it and there is nothing to complain about. If our goal is to have a clean program and win, it is clear we are failing in that objective.

I personally would like to see a greater upside than we have right now. At present, taking all things into consideration, next year looks like it will not be as good as this year.

Does anyone know the explicit objectives of the athletic department with this program?

It's important that the team peaks at the right time, & I don't think Tubby & staff have a good grasp of that concept.
Come out like gangbusters & then fade at the end?
That's just not a formula for winning basketball, much less getting to, or going deep into the Big Dance.

Let him leave on his own terms. You think this is fun for him? There is no happy ending in sight. Let him announce it and allow the players to play looser with the black cloud removed. A million isn't bad, and the vultures are circling and another 1.5 million might not be worth it.

Let him leave on his own terms. You think this is fun for him? There is no happy ending in sight. Let him announce it and allow the players to play looser with the black cloud removed. A million isn't bad, and the vultures are circling and another 1.5 million might not be worth it.

Honestly. I think he seems lost at times.

One way of doing that is telling Tubby that his coaching staff, including Saul will be gone and Teague and co charged with hiring his staff.

Really? A 20 point loss to Iowa doesn't concern you at all?

I'm concerned.

I want to wait until the end of the season to make a final choice. All about tourney success.

Sweet 16 or better - 100% he stays.

Round of 32 - 50% he stays.

Round of 64 - 25% he stays.

Misses the tourney - fired that day

One way of doing that is telling Tubby that his coaching staff, including Saul will be gone and Teague and co charged with hiring his staff.

Saul is an idiot. That would only work if you are trying to force tubby out. No self respecting coach should or would accept those circumstances. If he did agree, I would say he is just here to collect a check.

It's important that the team peaks at the right time, & I don't think Tubby & staff have a good grasp of that concept.
Come out like gangbusters & then fade at the end?
That's just not a formula for winning basketball, much less getting to, or going deep into the Big Dance.

To me the early season reflects the raw material quality you are working with. As the season wears on and the scouting is better and better the best coached teams get better and the worse coached teams get worse. In the past the injury issue has muddied things up. Not any more.

I agree my contention has long been any team in the in the B10 minus NEB, PSU and NW that has 0 top 4 B10 finishes or any NCAA tourney wins it is time to pull the plug after 6 years. If this game was any indication of whats to come next year when Coleman, two hollins, Oto, and Elliot where in at the same time this might be the worst team of his 7 year run. I think you can salvage the recruiting of the big 3 if you make the hiring before April 1st and it is a big enough name.

How many years does the staff need to get this team in the top half of the Big Ten? The athletic department needs to determine if winning is among the goals of the department. It appears Tubby has ran a clean program. If this is our goal, we appear to be doing well with it and there is nothing to complain about. If our goal is to have a clean program and win, it is clear we are failing in that objective.

I personally would like to see a greater upside than we have right now. At present, taking all things into consideration, next year looks like it will not be as good as this year.

Does anyone know the explicit objectives of the athletic department with this program?

Top Bottom